Skip to main content

The Block: Glasshouse

The fuck was that?

So it looks like they've canceled The Block: Unlocked, removed the weekly "Challenge Day" episode and cut the show down to five nights per week, yet they haven't wanted to let go of Shelley Craft and the Unlocked concept - and the result is the clusterfuck that is The Block: Open House.

It would be half-decent if:
- all the new footage from Triple Threat was packaged into the start when they were recapping the week and talking to the judges about the contestants instead of randomly inserted coming back from an ad break and then again at the very end. Though I would prefer it if they abandoned that whole thing and dedicated Open House to the renovation segments.
- they didn't try to fool the audience into believing that the "Doing Your Block" was all done in a day - the bench-top and flooring were dead giveaways. No way was that ordered and installed same-day.
- they aired a segment in full before heading to the next one - there was no need to cut away from "Doing Your Block" half-way through the episode and then returning to it at the end of the episode.
- they eliminated the "Knucklehead" segment. That was just painful to watch as it was basically mocking the guy just so we could get a tip on how to paint a window.

The "Design Doctor" was the one thing they did right.

Last edited:
The fuck was that?

So it looks like they've canceled The Block: Unlocked, removed the weekly "Challenge Day" episode and cut the show down to five nights per week, yet they haven't wanted to let go of Shelley Craft and the Unlocked concept - and the result is the clusterfuck that is The Block: Open House.

It would be half-decent if:
- all the new footage from Triple Threat was packaged into the start when they were recapping the week and talking to the judges about the contestants instead of randomly inserted coming back from an ad break and then again at the very end. Though I would prefer it if they abandoned that whole thing and dedicated Open House to the renovation segments.
- they didn't try to fool the audience into believing that the "Doing Your Block" was all done in a day - the bench-top and flooring were dead giveaways. No way was that ordered and installed same-day.
- they aired a segment in full before heading to the next one - there was no need to cut away from "Doing Your Block" half-way through the episode and then returning to it at the end of the episode.
- they eliminated the "Knucklehead" segment. That was just painful to watch as it was basically mocking the guy just so we could get a tip on how to paint a window.

The "Design Doctor" was the one thing they did right.

Wait. Was there new footage? I thought it was Unlocked which I never bother watching so I changed the channel.

It was a waste of time, apart from seeing the twins again.

Wasn't it supposed to be a real episode tonight, with this filler crap tomorrow?

It was a waste of time, apart from seeing the twins again.

Wasn't it supposed to be a real episode tonight, with this filler crap tomorrow?

I am pretty sure from this week onwards there is no more Block on Fridays. So it's the show proper Sunday-Wednesday and then this semi recap spin off show, The Block: Open House on Thursday.

Looks like they're getting blasted online for the episode, and it got hammered in the ratings compared to last week's "actual episode".

Thursday - February 12th 2015: 620,000 viewers (#11) - down 27.3% for last week's 852,000 and down from last week's ranking of #4.

Demos were a disaster too:
25-54: 328,000 - #4 (Last week: 460,000 - #1) -> Down 27.8%
18-49: 298,000 - #5 (Last week: 434,000 - #1) -> Down 31.34%
16:39: 211,000 - #2 (Last week: 289,000 - #1) -> Down 26.99%

Open House won't be back next season. lol.

Reactions: Tee
So by the sounds of things, even though Darren and Dea win the all-stars spot, they don't finish the show.

An article about the "Darren has a lump in the middle of his brain" thing said that he was "forced to put his appearance on the current season of The Block: Triple Threat on hold". Weirdly, there is no comment anywhere saying that he's going to be fine/should pull through etc - which to me sounds like he is a dead man walking.

So by the sounds of things, even though Darren and Dea win the all-stars spot, they don't finish the show.

An article about the "Darren has a lump in the middle of his brain" thing said that he was "forced to put his appearance on the current season of The Block: Triple Threat on hold". Weirdly, there is no comment anywhere saying that he's going to be fine/should pull through etc - which to me sounds like he is a dead man walking.

They are on ACA tomorrow night to talk about it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2952255/I-lump-middle-brain-Blocks-Darren-Jolly-opens-terrifying-brain-illness-reveals-large-wounds-head-surgery.html

Best of luck, Darren. You're a great worker.

Tim and Anastasia are appalling, aren't they? If The Block is going to have elimination challenges to choose contestants, they should have a cumulative point score. This couple should never have gone through.

I have not watched this season - they used to have catch up the next day, but seems not this year. Such a shame. i don't have unlimited download on the net, so I prefer to watch on TV ..... and rather watch IAAC and MKR

I have watched one episode.

The Block have gone to bogansville & found 3 bogan couples

Don't think I will watch another episode.

It's interesting that the Block is sitting around 750k in ratings this week. .
Have they cooked the golden goose?

Back