Skip to main content

jessy_girl's junk food jamboree

Ice cream for breakfast :joyful: I don't see anything wrong with it really. It's like eating cereal at any other time. If you want to, why not.

I don't know how long the white magnums have been around for, but I was at a service station and my parents wanted a (plain) magnum each. I went in with the intention of buying all normal magnums, but switched mine for a white on a whim, and as I said, it was AMAZING.

That's pretty much how I reason it. I mean people eat muffins for breakfast which is clearly just a cake. Plus, if I'm going to eat it regardless then surely it's better as a meal than as a snack as far as calories go and if I eat it first thing then I have all day to burn it off. Yes, I've given this lots of thought!

Ooo la la, had my first foodie truck experience last night, and yum,yum,yum...............too good to really be junk food, more fast gourmet food, festival style.
Does every state have these foodie trucks?
Melbourne has them rolling around your local park, with some music and other activities, great for families.
OMG the food is delish, many tasty choices, bit exie, but mostly good value.
With the added bonus of hot eye candy, real African Americans cooking burgers, Jamaicans cooking Caribbean,,,

Here is a very weird vegan discovery.....canned chick pea liquid, makes meringue!
WEIRD - great for people with an egg allergy. I love chick peas, lots of them in my pantry, going to try this

Why you need to starting using the murky brine in chickpea cans
upload_2017-4-18_13-1-30.png

IT’S the stuff you’re probably pouring down the sink.

But the murky liquid found in canned chickpeas is actually a magic ingredient that should be preserved — especially if you’re a vegan.

You see, the liquid actually doubles as the perfect egg white substitute. And with a quick whisk, it can transform from a murky mess into a fluffy meringue or indulgent chocolate mousse.

The liquid, dubbed “Aquafaba”, is growing in popularity among those avoiding animal products. The name Aquafaba is a mash up of the Latin word for water (aqua) and bean (faba), and has become the perfect egg substitute in cooking.

According to The Vegan Society, the best way to use the liquid is straight from a chickpea can, but for those who like to cook from scratch — slowly cooking dried beans in water for a few hours until the water turns to aquafaba will give you similar results.

The ingredient and its name, was discovered by an American software engineer named Goose Wohlt, who posted about his “miracle” discovery to a Facebook group called What Fat Vegans Eat.

RECIPE
“Dead simple delicious two ingredient whole food meringues ... one can chickpea brine mixed w half cup sugar. perfect-O”
upload_2017-4-18_13-4-17.png

HOW IT WORKS
So for those who cannot, or are unable to consume eggs — how does this ‘lifesaving’ ingredient actually work?

While there have been no scientific studies that determine why Aquafaba gives the same results as eggs in cooking, several food scientists indicate that it is most likely a combination of proteins and starches in the water.

“Egg whites can create and hold a foam because it has the unique mix of proteins (polar and non-polar) that possess these properties,” food scientist Lauren Egan told news.com.au.
According to Wired, “chickpea proteins, like egg proteins, have parts that hate water and parts that love water.

“When you shake or beat it, the proteins unravel, so that the water-hating parts interface with air, and the water-loving parts with water. Hence, bubbles and foam. Starches help thicken and stabilise the foam.”

Egan agreed, saying “Some egg proteins are good at providing foam formation, such as globulins, while others are good at stability (ovomucin-lysozyme).

“The balance, or ratio, between lysozyme and globulin is just as important to the foam construction than them just individually existing, which is kind of why it’s always been so hard to come up with an egg-substitute.”
upload_2017-4-18_13-7-58.png
Aquafaba is the perfect alternative to egg whites, especially when making chocolate mousse.Source:istock

As a general rule, three tablespoons of eggwhites replace one whole egg, and two tablespoons equals just the white of an egg.

It’s worth buying low, or even no-sodium beans, because tinned chickpeas can be loaded with sodium.

I'm also super keen to try the new Arnott's ice creams, especially iced vovo and caramel crown.

I also want to try that dominoes thickshake, but I have a feeling it won't taste so good.

Wow! You are completely correct! I didn't know about this but I desperately want it!

I meant to get some last time I was at Coles but forgot. I've put it back on my mental shopping list again.
I didn't like the Vegemite chocolate that much but hopefully the pies are more subtle.

I meant to get some last time I was at Coles but forgot. I've put it back on my mental shopping list again.
I didn't like the Vegemite chocolate that much but hopefully the pies are more subtle.

I liked the vegemite chocolate! But I have long mixed vegemite and meat so I would be very surprised if I don't like this. It is also on my mental shopping list!

I'm also super keen to try the new Arnott's ice creams, especially iced vovo and caramel crown.

I also want to try that dominoes thickshake, but I have a feeling it won't taste so good.
I tried it. It was like a cup of soft serve ice cream. Almost impossible to drink (could have been cos the weather was cold)

I quite liked the Four And Twenty Vegemite pies.
The BBQ Burger one was ordinary, and the Chicken Parmy wasn't bad but there were no pieces of actual chicken, it was like s bolognese sauce pie.

Back