Skip to main content

"Big Brother: House of Love" confirmed for late 2023

The contrast now for the pre-season hype for the live return of BBUK versus the pre-recorded a year ago hype for BB Aus couldn't be more stark. Yes, of course more interest in the UK with it being back for the first time in 5 years but even so the build up to Big Brother should be about the potential for what the series might deliver, something completely lost really when you know it lost all it's potential by being pre-recorded.

It’s funny because the more I learn about this UK revival the more excited I am. In comparison to when we learnt more and more about BBAU in 2020, the disdain for the series was already present before we even saw a promo.

Show how much I care about this. Have been clicking into the BBUK thread daily. Have only just seen posts from Saturday about when BBAU starts...

The contrast now for the pre-season hype for the live return of BBUK versus the pre-recorded a year ago hype for BB Aus couldn't be more stark.

I think the above line sums it up nicely. "pre-season hype", "live" ..... versus ..... "pre-recorded", "a year ago".

Regardless of how tarnished BBAU is, for reasons that I myself don't actually understand, I will still manage to find it watchable and I am looking forward to November. That said, I think a big part of that is perhaps all the fun that occurs here in these foums as the show progresses.

That said, I think a big part of that is perhaps all the fun that occurs here in these foums as the show progresses.

It's going to take a lot of fun here for me to watch it. I'll start with the launch and take it from there. And if I drop out it'll be the first BBAU I've skipped (with the exception of Celebrity BB, but in my defence I had a family emergency in NZ I had to attend at the time).

I haven’t really watched the last 2 seasons and I have no intention of even looking at this one.
Only will I watch 7s dumpster fire of BB, if they look at the UK season and use the same.

I’m going to be giving BBUK a go this year.

The sad thing is BBAU probably won't become available to other broadcasters to look at again for at least a couple of years, even longer if like Channel 9 they seemed to have a longer lock out period than they actually showed it for.

Seven are unlikely to announce anything in their upfronts this month for next year as they won't want to announce a show has been axed before the latest series even airs. Of course we know the house has been deconstructed and even insiders are already saying this series was poor even by current standards, so it's almost certainly gone. And to be fair Seven has a fairly solid slate throughout the year now - only if Australian Idol doesn't improve and then gets the chop is there a signifcant space in the year where a series might be worth airing. They don't even particularly need it this year - think they'd be happy enough letting SAS Australia air a bit longer (twice a week instead of three times a week) and just use filler the other nights. That pretty much would get them to the end of the "ratings season".

The sad thing is BBAU probably won't become available to other broadcasters to look at again for at least a couple of years, even longer if like Channel 9 they seemed to have a longer lock out period than they actually showed it for.

Seven are unlikely to announce anything in their upfronts this month for next year as they won't want to announce a show has been axed before the latest series even airs. Of course we know the house has been deconstructed and even insiders are already saying this series was poor even by current standards, so it's almost certainly gone. And to be fair Seven has a fairly solid slate throughout the year now - only if Australian Idol doesn't improve and then gets the chop is there a signifcant space in the year where a series might be worth airing. They don't even particularly need it this year - think they'd be happy enough letting SAS Australia air a bit longer (twice a week instead of three times a week) and just use filler the other nights. That pretty much would get them to the end of the "ratings season".
Did Nine have a lockout clause or was it just they had first right of refusal? I'm a little more optimistic in thinking that the 7 incarnation was such a drastic departure from the original core format that a long hiatus isn't necessary provided they follow ITV's lead and commit to bringing the show back to it's fundamental format and core principles. It's not as if we haven't seen marquee reality shows jump networks in quick succession before and if 7 only have first right of refusal it's shit or get off the pot.

10 appear to be going back to a lot of older formats as well… I wouldn’t imagine it would be a never scenario for it to jump back to them TBH.

I also don’t imagine that Endemol shine would allow the format to be “locked up” again like Nine had. Because BB internationally as a format is being rebooted, they would want it to be up for grabs to those who would want it. Networks can’t really afford to do that anymore as well…

The main reason why 7 went the prerecorded root is because it’s incredibly cheap to do. They couldn’t have afforded to do live even if Covid wasn’t a thing.

10 appear to be going back to a lot of older formats as well… I wouldn’t imagine it would be a never scenario for it to jump back to them TBH.

I also don’t imagine that Endemol shine would allow the format to be “locked up” again like Nine had. Because BB internationally as a format is being rebooted, they would want it to be up for grabs to those who would want it. Networks can’t really afford to do that anymore as well…

The main reason why 7 went the prerecorded root is because it’s incredibly cheap to do. They couldn’t have afforded to do live even if Covid wasn’t a thing.
10 are the only network that could pull off ITV’s strategy and actually have people buy in to it hook line and sinker.

Also didn’t 7 outbid 10 for this revival? If so it’s definitely not a never for them.

Last edited:
I think the best season Seven Network produced of the Big Brother pre recorded format was 2020 and 2021

A false economy really, not just with less viewers due to lack of interest meaning less advertising but cost wise the savings aren't that substantial too, especially if they employ producers and editors for months after it's finished to manipulate the footage into the show they want. The quick turnaround of a live production is something that actually keeps the cost down.

Plus Seven have generally had one absolute flop a year (Ultimate Tag, Holey Moley, Blow Up) which had Big Brother run live for a little bit longer they wouldn't have needed to commission.

Man can't believe these housemates finished the show a year ago. I'm so pumped for BBUK. I lost interest in this version after celebrity BB. It was just boring. The format and editing really bogged it down.

Back