Skip to main content

"Big Brother: House of Love" confirmed for late 2023

I just don't see how they can build the week around it stinking out the 7.30 slot - perhaps be wise to push it later, though not sure what else they could air at 7.30.

It's not even like they could edit them down to shorter episodes as suspect the editing was all completed within the first couple of months of the year and the team released. Heck it probably costs them much more spending weeks editing it to create their narratives than doing it live and having to turn around episodes in less than 24 hours.

I don't know much about this but what sort of figure would they be looking at if they didn't air it all compared to if they run it with terrible ratings?

I don't know much about this but what sort of figure would they be looking at if they didn't air it all compared to if they run it with terrible ratings?
Honest answer, about the same.

Without accounting for catchup viewers, I’d guess that the average live ratings would be about 230-250k, which is what something like Border Security would also get.

I’m wrong, overnights last year from checking were around the 300-350k range, meaning that even with a small drop in viewers this year, ratings would still likely be at least 40k more than alternative scheduling.

Last edited:
Not sure how it works in Australia but in the US over the last year, especially with Warner Bros Discovery, we've seen a few already filmed shows pulled as by not airing them they are effectively written off which reduces their taxable income.

Not sure how it works in Australia but in the US over the last year, especially with Warner Bros Discovery, we've seen a few already filmed shows pulled as by not airing them they are effectively written off which reduces their taxable income.

I feel like they should just do this for their own sake, they aren't going to make much (if any) money off this show and the negative PR from the ratings flop will be pretty bad for the network. I doubt there are even that many episodes so it's not that much of a loss.

I love how we've got to the point of wishing they would just bin the show completely. Also, they'd save the prize money as nobody would win.

I love how we've got to the point of wishing they would just bin the show completely.
Haven't most been there since the start in 2020? The show was fucked from the start with the weird decision to have one foot in each format of Big Brother instead of just fully adopting the North American format presumably out of fear it would be rejected for "not being Big Brother" as the Australian public knew it.

Any theories on why this show was even renewed? Last season did pretty poorly in the ratings. Granted, it did do "okay" via streaming but not well enough to warrant a renewal honestly. And given that last year was a "special all-stars" season, it's only fair that a follow up season would drop off in viewers given it's lost that novelty.

This is the last year of BB on the 7 contract though so perhaps they just wanted to give it one last shot? Still, last year should have been their "last shot" and would have still been a pretty special way to end Big Brother Australia forever. Now we're going to end the franchise with a short, overly edited shit show that no one but 5 people are watching.

Great reporting in that article.

"Tim won the tenth season of Big Brother in 2014". Um......

I think alongside ditching it's USP Big Brother just isn't visually interesting enough or has a big enough set up to justify being pre-recorded. With other shows you've elements which justify the pre-record whether it's the cinematography of Survivor, the logistics of The Amazing Race or the required secrecy of a format like The Traitors.

There may be supposed cost savings to the producers and network of pre-recording the show but there is zero benefit to the viewer. The much longer turnaround in the edit actually makes for a worse show, so they can't even claim that.

I also think there's less excitement around any 'strategic moves' during the game because the public don't care about at all about them on this show and vote purely on likeability. The only remotely interesting F3 that could have happened in the first 3 seasons was Daniel-SJ-Ari and even then only because all 3 were disliked by decent portions of the fan base. When there's a Marley or Reggie in the mix getting a good edit and seemingly pretty likely to get to the end even to the unspoiled does anyone really care about Johnson's 'blindsides' of the BB veterans? Not really.

“But then that isn’t enough for us as audiences now. If you look at TikTok, we’ve got 10 seconds before we're like, ‘Next!’. I just don't think the original format of Big Brother would even work. We all want the high drama, we want the overproduced, but is that real?”

I genuinely think Tim is wrong. I certainly don't want overproduced drama. I think it's silly to look at the way reality TV has changed. How the format is changed and the negative reaction. Then declare the original format dead. Just bring the live format to the current era.

While I have never used TikTok, surely a live series would have endless things they could be putting on that and other socials.

“The original series was just people sitting around on a lounge having conversations that would go for like 10 to 15 minutes, but we were all captivated because it was so new to just watch natural behaviour like that,” he details.

The suggestion seems to be that people wouldn't be interested in this anymore. They've moved onto quicker more produced stuff. I also disagree with this. There's an endless amount of successful long-format material these days of people just talking and interacting. Whether it's podcasts, YouTube or streamers. Elsewhere in the reality TV genre that isn't the style dominating Australian commercial networks at the moment.

There are still plenty of very successful reality TV shows that focus on human interaction and behaviour that aren't high-produced as "playing a game." There are even successful shows of people interacting with no one.

I also disagree with Tim. If Reality TV was truly dead then shows like MAFS, the Block and Survivor wouldn't be as successful as they are. Big Brother has failed in Australia due to fault of how it's produced and executed. Format and premise is not to blame at all, nor is the excuse of modern audiences having shorter attention spans even close to being accurate.

The current BBUS season is great fun and shows there is life in the format still. Diverse casting is key, as is respect to source material.

nor is the excuse of modern audiences having shorter attention spans even close to being accurate.

It just engages me differently as a viewer. Now I am a poster on here, but there surely has to be some cross over with general audiences. When it was live, I felt like I went on a journey with the show and the experience was much more engaging. It's not just a psychological aspect of knowing it is live. It's watching 6 nights a week. It's checking live updates throughout the days. It was live streams when they had them. It was being more invested in the evictions. It was getting a much larger view of what is going on. The relationships and behaviours in the house.

We just get so little, and there's no ride that you're on with the experience as a viewer.

I watching Million Dollar Island for the first few weeks. Enjoyed it. Then one week I didn't watch one and literally just forgot I was watching the show. While BB is not quite that to me yet, maybe it is for the casual viewer. This site does a hell of a lot of lifting of my enjoyment of BB these days.

BB is no longer an event. Also the lack of live updates on socials would definitely be a factor in people disengaging.

Last edited:
It just engages me differently as a viewer. Now I am a poster on here, but there surely has to be some cross over with general audiences. When it was live, I felt like I went on a journey with the show and the experience was much more engaging. It's not just a psychological aspect of knowing it is live. It's watching 6 nights a week. It's checking live updates throughout the days. It was live streams when they had them. It was being more invested in the evictions. It was getting a much larger view of what is going on. The relationships and behaviours in the house.

We just get so little, and there's no ride that you're on with the experience as a viewer.

I watching Million Dollar Island for the first few weeks. Enjoyed it. Then one week I didn't watch one and literally just forgot I was watching the show. While BB is not quite that to me yet, maybe it is for the casual viewer. This site does a hell of a lot of lifting of my enjoyment of BB these days.

BB is no longer an event. Also the lack of live updates on socials would definitely be a factor in people disengaging.
I strongly concur. It's the main reason I am loving BBUS25. I can watch live streaming, read twitter updates, tiktoks of live stream, constant recaps on reddit and so much more. The jokers website even has a popularity ranking. I haven't felt this way about a Big Brother season for well over a decade. The best part is theres multiple ways to engage with the season and none of them are the wrong way to go. BBAU offers nothing other than 90 minutes of over edited crap.

I used to love that there was more than just the episodes and everyone was talking about it. You're so right about the pyschological excitment of knowing everything was happening as we discussed it. If it had not been for this wesbite I very likely would have given up after the 2020 season.

I have so little faith now in BBAU being able to live up to it's potential. No network seems to want to bother to do it properly, so whats the point? If it's going to be this way then let it die and stay dead.

Back