Skip to main content

Big Brother Canada: Season 2 Discussion [SPOILERS]

got through to ep 10 on BBCan1 so far ... enjoying it but its not the same without live feeds AND with already knowing a little about the likes of Peter and Gary ...

am wondering how much I'll now get out of BBAU because I think the popularity contest scenario no longer does it for me ... I LIKE the manipulations behind the scenes, the game playing ...

god I hope they get it right with the contestants this year for BBAU ... I don't want another crop who think they will end up with media careers and instant megabucks as a God or Channel9-given right without actually earning them ... I don't want another crop of wannabe models/actors ... eye candy only takes you so far ...

got through to ep 10 on BBCan1 so far ... enjoying it but its not the same without live feeds AND with already knowing a little about the likes of Peter and Gary ...

am wondering how much I'll now get out of BBAU because I think the popularity contest scenario no longer does it for me ... I LIKE the manipulations behind the scenes, the game playing ...

god I hope they get it right with the contestants this year for BBAU ... I don't want another crop who think they will end up with media careers and instant megabucks as a God or Channel9-given right without actually earning them ... I don't want another crop of wannabe models/actors ... eye candy only takes you so far ...
BBUS is right around the corner.

BBUS really needs to step it up though on all levels (it's still in 4:3 SD FFS!) If nothing else though they really need to get the casting right - not only were last years vile (and the actually rather decent twist ruined by casting the sister of a former winner) but the gameplay was non existent. It was just bullying and picking off people rather than the type of gameplay we've seen this year which chopped and changed all the time. There is nothing worse than a season where it's played every week by doing what the "house" supposedly wants, especially when the "house" is just a few horrible critters pulling the strings.

BBUS really needs to step it up though on all levels (it's still in 4:3 SD FFS!) If nothing else though they really need to get the casting right - not only were last years vile (and the actually rather decent twist ruined by casting the sister of a former winner) but the gameplay was non existent. It was just bullying and picking off people rather than the type of gameplay we've seen this year which chopped and changed all the time. There is nothing worse than a season where it's played every week by doing what the "house" supposedly wants, especially when the "house" is just a few horrible critters pulling the strings.
That twist was not thought out at all, it was awful. The twist had a lot of potential if it was used with a completely new cast. The same person casts US and Canada so she should have a clue now (all she has to do is compare the 2 seasons). Elissa was a HORRIBLE hg.

That twist was not thought out at all, it was awful. The twist had a lot of potential if it was used with a completely new cast. The same person casts US and Canada so she should have a clue now (all she has to do is compare the 2 seasons). Elissa was a HORRIBLE hg.
Robyn Kass may cast both version, but I think that CBS/Slice have the final say on who eventually ends up on the show. Robyn is just looking for the people she is told to find.

Robyn Kass may cast both version, but I think that CBS/Slice have the final say on who eventually ends up on the show. Robyn is just looking for the people she is told to find.

I've said this time and time again... Robyn is merely the facilitator of the casting process... Her team will review candidates based on the criteria of the show and the producers/network have the final say... I've been told by a former US HG that I've met and done a few events with that Robyn is essentially there in the latter stages of the callbacks and is the person who holds your hand and gives you a pep talk before you go in to be interrogated...

This is an article that might give you some greater insight in to the BBUS casting process... One can only assume that BBCA also follows something similar...

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/big_brother_13/2011_Jul_05_finals_casting

By definition a casting director is casting the people she's told to cast. Reality Blurred put an interview up yesterday with Jeff Probst where he said CBS exec (and Mr Chen) Les Moonves gets the final say on the Survivor casting, so I expect he has input into the BB cast too.

ok, BBUK and BBUS are starting up very soon. if you had a choice of watching just one, which one would it be?
Oh umm...
I am still tossing up on whether or not I'll watch BBUK. I feel like it is a big commitment. So I'll have to go with BBUS. I'll be interested to see if the producers do anything different this year (probably not though) after the disaster that was BB15.

I just read on twitter that Australia will have access to the BB16 live feed? Is this for real? I mean anyone with half a brain can access the us live feed if they really wanted to and why let us Aussies watch it if we don't even get the show over here.... Unless a network here will be airing BBUS.... I do not think that will be likely though.

BBUK without question...

i am being realistic and know i won't be able to manage both. i have read up about UK and it does sound very interesting, but also a lot like AU. if the US is like Canada's, i really loved the strategic format. i think i can trust you enough that you know your BB, so i will probably go with that. it also starts before US, June 5th i think, so i can always change over if i can't get into it

Oh umm...
I am still tossing up on whether or not I'll watch BBUK. I feel like it is a big commitment. So I'll have to go with BBUS. I'll be interested to see if the producers do anything different this year (probably not though) after the disaster that was BB15.

I just read on twitter that Australia will have access to the BB16 live feed? Is this for real? I mean anyone with half a brain can access the us live feed if they really wanted to and why let us Aussies watch it if we don't even get the show over here.... Unless a network here will be airing BBUS.... I do not think that will be likely though.

Live Feed? could be the decider i think

Last edited:
i am being realistic and know i won't be able to manage both. i have read up about UK and it does sound very interesting, but also a lot like AU. if the US is like Canada's, i really loved the strategic format. i think i can trust you enough that you know your BB, so i will probably go with that. it also starts before US, June 5th i think, so i can always change over if i can't get into it

Live Feed? could be the decider i think

Well you've got three weeks to decide... I honestly can't stick to any BB format anymore... I'm just not dedicated enough anymore and real life gets in the way... I'll usually watch the launch and go from there... That said BBUS really doesn't appeal to me anymore... The casting SUCKS! The twists are poorly executed and overall they rarely stray from the format and rules they developed 13 year ago... Once you've seen a BBUS series you've essentially seen them all...

That said BBUK is not without it's flaws but one thing remains true is that the show is at it's core about the cast...

Well you've got three weeks to decide... I honestly can't stick to any BB format anymore... I'm just not dedicated enough anymore and real life gets in the way... I'll usually watch the launch and go from there... That said BBUS really doesn't appeal to me anymore... The casting SUCKS! The twists are poorly executed and overall they rarely stray from the format and rules they developed 13 year ago... Once you've seen a BBUS series you've essentially seen them all...

That said BBUK is not without it's flaws but one thing remains true is that the show is at it's core about the cast...

it does, real life is so demanding of us, itshould take a ticket. i will go with UK, and i will keep the strategy for BBCAN, i don't want US spoiling that for me for next year, and i want to watch YOU

BBUK all the way. I've only seen one US and two CANs but thanks to YouTube and some dedicated fans, l've seen most of the UK series and it's my favourite in the BB franchise, except for the booing crowds, l hate that.

The UK casting is generally pretty good, and there is actually more strategy involved than you'd think, but a different kind of strategy that comes out with the show's reliance on the interpersonal skills required to not get nominated or to not get voted out by the public. PLUS Bit On The Side is often fun, and Ch5 occasionally air live feed shows. Though l agree it is a huge viewing commitment.

I can't wait.

BBUK all the way. I've only seen one US and two CANs but thanks to YouTube and some dedicated fans, l've seen most of the UK series and it's my favourite in the BB franchise, except for the booing crowds, l hate that.

The UK casting is generally pretty good, and there is actually more strategy involved than you'd think, but a different kind of strategy that comes out with the show's reliance on the interpersonal skills required to not get nominated or to not get voted out by the public. PLUS Bit On The Side is often fun, and Ch5 occasionally air live feed shows. Though l agree it is a huge viewing commitment.

I can't wait.

i haven't even checked the time difference. oh it's not too bad but can't the other countries do the same hours as us? ignore what the sky is telling you

Good point - though the problem with BBUK is it's about 5 or 6 (if that!) of the cast rather than the cast as a whole, and they have been guilty of putting too much emphasis on cast and not enough on the format. A good format can carry a weak cast but I'm not so sure a weak format can carry a strong cast (always said that about BB7AU - a great cast were let down by poor production).

It's just too big a commitment to watch every night for three months - and I can't stand the voiceover anymore to the point where I actually find it impossible to listen to him. I rarely watch BBUSA in full - have watched more of it since C5 ruined BBUK than I did previously but unlikely to watch every episode. BBUK I now kind of follow in the way I follow foreign versions - at a distance and might check an episode if I hear something interesting has happened.

i haven't even checked the time difference. oh it's not too bad but can't the other countries do the same hours as us? ignore what the sky is telling you
In both cases I think the show will be waiting for you in the evenings.

Good point - though the problem with BBUK is it's about 5 or 6 (if that!) of the cast rather than the cast as a whole, and they have been guilty of putting too much emphasis on cast and not enough on the format. A good format can carry a weak cast but I'm not so sure a weak format can carry a strong cast (always said that about BB7AU - a great cast were let down by poor production).

It's just too big a commitment to watch every night for three months - and I can't stand the voiceover anymore to the point where I actually find it impossible to listen to him. I rarely watch BBUSA in full - have watched more of it since C5 ruined BBUK than I did previously but unlikely to watch every episode. BBUK I now kind of follow in the way I follow foreign versions - at a distance and might check an episode if I hear something interesting has happened.

I agree but I'd rather a cast built around 5 or 6 (if that!) that are at least entertaining than a cast that like BB10 that on paper... They look amazing but are complete duds when it comes down to actually preforming... BB7 was a great cast and overall I think the producers were right in stepping back... After the race row though the emphasis relied too much on twist after twist and then it seemed as if production just gave up...

i want to watch YOU

I tend to flip flop about that... As much as I'm sure I'd be good at it, I'm not sure I'm ready to have my life expose like that... There are things I'd prefer not to have out there... A few things in particular that may or may not come out that I'd like my family not to know about... One that might wreck me... The other I'd just like to avoid and really shouldn't be an issue but that I'd just prefer to keep quiet...

Who knows though...

Back