Skip to main content

Australian Survivor: Articles

20246353_1030943000374922_8688936070915553392_n.jpg

^^ still a pretty white looking cast! Only two or three out of 24 have some other ethnicity?

I'm tired already of that Luke, the bogan dude they keep featuring in the promos! I hope the series is not all about him.
Here's hoping too that there are genuine game players in the cast this year, people who actually know how to strategise and backstab and play Survivor properly.

I'm tired already of that Luke, the bogan dude they keep featuring in the promos! I hope the series is not all about him.
Here's hoping too that there are genuine game players in the cast this year, people who actually know how to strategise and backstab and play Survivor properly.
@Evan44 send me your tipping picks!!!

...haha!... I think that it's hilarious that all of the losers are giving them all 'advice' on how to win Meglos lol!... I do not have any idea who that brunette was that was talking on that clip... none whatsever!... lol!... cheers.

LOL yes. Advice from Lee and El should be 'don't be miserable bores like we were, and DON'T HOOK UP, we thought we had it in the bag and some weirdo beat us, still haven't figured out how".

And I have no idea who she is either!!

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...australian-survivor-2017-20170803-gxoz70.html

Mark 'Tarzan' H got dysentery after being evicted from Australian Survivor 2017

• Mark H, who has been coined Tarzan by his fellow Australian Survivorcompetitors, has no regrets about leaving the show when he did, otherwise it may have been "in a body bag with the zipper open".

The 51-year-old grandfather sees it as a blessing because two days later he was struck down with terrible dysentery and left bedridden for a week.
It manifested two days after I got home and I was just crook as a dog, like I had dysentery and was nauseated and sick," he said after the show.

"Like if I was in that condition and still on the island, here's the thing I guarantee, like I was sick like that for a week, so physically they would have pulled me out of the game because my health went south.
"I think you'll find the Survivor game we play is far truer than Bear Grylls' game, we don't go in with anything," he said.

1502059133831.jpg

In saving Tessa, Mark H was eliminated from Australian Survivor 2017. Photo: Nigel Wright
"We basically have got nothing and we really only ended up with the one thing that was of any use to us, that you could say was given to us, was a machete and there was one of those amongst 12 and it was blunt!

"It's a hell of a lot tougher than it looks."

1502059133831.jpg

Tarzan and Locky didn't always see eye to eye, and that cost the fatherly lime farmer in the end. Photo: Nigel Wright
Despite his wife Natalie being surprised to see him home so early, Tarzan has enjoyed the continued and unrivalled camaraderie he has experienced with his fellow contestants.

"I think my timing was right ... and I loved [being on the show] and I thought that was all that matters," said the Queensland lime farmer. "I've never felt better."

I would have been very disappointed to be going out in a body bag with the zipper open

Tarzan
The fan favourite was voted out on Sunday night after being stabbed in the back by superfan and strategic player A.K. after Tarzan revealed his plan to remove their tribe's leader Locky in a bid to save his adopted "show daughter' Tessa.

By taking the noble approach and finding an idol for soon-to-be-evicted Tessa while hatching a plan that went against the majority, Tarzan was left vulnerable and in his words, "the fury of the god has come upon me".

1502059133831.jpg

Tarzan has no regrets about being on Australian Survivor, or his conduct. Photo: Nigel Wright
So why help the 29-year-old Victorian doctor?

"It was only because Tessa came down to me on the beach and asked for help, that was it. That was all she had to do."

1502059133831.jpg

Tarzan thinks Locky poses the greatest danger on Australian Survivor. Photo: Nigel Wright
Tessa, whose crumbling alliance left her on the outer among the tribe, shared with Tarzan a clue about the location of the idol, which gave the player immunity from being eliminated.

Giggling like a schoolgirl on Sunday night, Tarzan was elated at discovering the idol's hiding spot, saying "I love this game".

But his happiness was short-lived when AK, 29, revealed his plans to 27-year-old adventure guide Locky, instead of recruiting others to Tarzan and Tessa's side.

Still, that's all part of the game. "Here's the devil in the detail, I'm probably not as a smart as the other guys and I'm not a superfan," Tarzan admitted. "Basically, my lack of experience in the game itself was my downfall."

Interestingly, he remains in the dark over who goes all the way to the end, having asked that no one spoil his viewing of the show.

But not-so-surprisingly, he wants Tessa to win.

"Mate, if Tess wins then I've won," he said.

"Tess wouldn't have been there on basically two occasions ... I saved her the other night, I saved her tonight. I did that because I felt compelled to do it but she's got to win it. But I'd say Locky is going to give her a hell of a run for her money."

Yet he wasn't despondent that his attempts to save Tessa may yet be thwarted by the majority.

"I think we're setting new bars and reaching for new heights. Mark my words ... we will set it on fire," he said.

"I have a really strong feeling this will be a really amazing season and set a benchmark for seasons to come."

MORE ARTICLES

What do Tony Abbott, kangaroos and James 'Mad Dog' Mattis all have in common?

ABC Rural
Regional affairs reporter Lucy Barbour
Print Email Facebook Twitter More
PHOTO: Tony Abbott was given this kangaroo-skin leather jacket soon after he lost the prime ministership.(ABC News: Nick Haggarty)

A couple of weeks after he lost the prime ministership, Tony Abbott was enjoying a seaside lunch in Sydney when a burly bloke came bearing a gift.

Mark Wales handed Abbott a black leather jacket on behalf of their mutual friend, Liberal MP Andrew Hastie.

Wales designed the jacket and took the opportunity to deliver it in person while home from New York.

The jacket, the young entrepreneur explained, was made for a particular type of person.

Someone who had taken a few knocks, stood firmly by their values and who should not be taken lightly.

Wales thought Abbott was a good fit and the former PM loves the look.

It takes a lot to make someone like me to look cool, but I'm told it works," Abbott laughed.

PHOTO: Tony Abbott models his kangaroo-skin leather jacket in his office in Parliament House.(ABC News: Nick Haggarty)

Like Abbott, Wales had suffered some significant setbacks.

Before his career turned to clothing, Wales fought for his country as a member of the elite Special Air Services Regiment (SASR) in Afghanistan.

The experience took a big toll on his mental health, but fashion gave him a focus and a will.

He was always torn between his martial calling and the lure of the catwalk; a kid from the country who simply liked to look hip.

But his clothes were often covered in dust.

Wales grew up in the ancient, dry landscapes of Western Australia's Pilbara, playing war games in the red dirt with his siblings.

In high school, a friend showed him a photograph of black-clad British troops storming the Iranian Embassy in London to rescue western hostages.

"The second I saw it I thought, that's it, that's what I want to do," he recalled.

PHOTO: Mark Wales served in the Special Air Services Regiment in Afghanistan.(Supplied)

He was selected for the SASR in 2004.

During Wales's time in Afghanistan, special operations uniforms were modified. He admired the changes but kept his passion for fashion largely to himself.

"They became more form-fitted and minimalist. It stopped things getting in the way," he said.

His idea to make jackets modelled on combat gear was born on the battlefield. But first he needed to make it home.

By the time he finished his tour, Wales had witnessed death and destruction.

However, the real damage was mental and no amount of designer clothing could fix it.

I couldn't concentrate, I'd be constantly flat, no emotions at all. Sometimes I wouldn't feel anything," he said.

He pushed those feelings aside when he earned a place at a top business college in the United States. Wales's close mates were worried about him.

One of them was Hastie, also an ex-SASR trooper.

PHOTO: Liberal MP Andrew Hastie admires the risks his good friend Mark Wales took.(ABC News: Jed Cooper)

"Mark's physicality was like a shield. He's this big, muscly dude who looks invincible. Nobody would have known he was struggling," Hastie said.

"He took risks going to the US."

But studying overseas helped Wales get into a routine.

I had a chance to properly rest. I slept for nine hours a night," he said.

He ate well, took up cross-fit and surfing, and he "retrained" his brain.

"All those things gradually laid a pretty good foundation for recovering," Wales said.

Soon he was ready to revisit his plan to mix war and fashion.

PHOTO: Mark Wales's leather jackets are inspired by his experience as an SASR trooper, but also by Jason Bourne and the Terminator.(Supplied)

His high-end kangaroo-skin leather jackets are inspired by SASR uniforms, but there are other influences too.

The design draws on a touch of Terminator and a bit of Jason Bourne.

James Bond's a little too clean-cut and Top Gun's a little wanky," Wales laughed.

He wanted the jackets to resonate with uniformed personnel, so he invited war veterans to model them.

He even extended the invitation to one of America's top brass, retired four-star general and current US Defence Secretary James "Mad Dog" Mattis.

PHOTO: James "Mad Dog" Mattis wears a leather jacket designed by Mark Wales.(Supplied)

Mattis is admired for his strategic intellect and enthusiasm for chatting to junior troops, often imparting blunt, bold advice.

Wales has always been a fan.

He credits Mattis with inspiring him to take the next step.

"He came out to a morning tea when I was at business college," Wales said.

"He told us the best thing we could do for the security of the country was to go out and start good businesses to make the economy stronger."

He wonders whether Mattis might one day don the jacket, with aviators, in a war zone.

PHOTO: Mark Wales is now leading a happier, healthier life.(Supplied)

Nowadays, Wales is a happier, healthier person but he reads the steady stream of stories about war veterans who are struggling and wonders whether they help or hinder recovery.

"The constant question a lot of us ask is where the issue lies," he said.

"Is it the fact people have mental illness coming back from war and the fact they're not properly reported, or is it the fact that if enough people tell you you're broken, you'll start to believe it?

"I think it's probably a combination of all those things."

It is why Wales wants to focus on the positives.

For every story you hear to the tune that [veterans] weren't supported properly, you'll hear about people that have gone on to found gyms or run ultra marathons," he said.

"There are all these things where they've taken a big leap."

His most recent leap was starring in the latest series of Channel 10's Survivor.

And yes, he managed to smuggle his leather jacket onto the island.

Topics: fashion, design, health, depression, community-and-society,history, unrest-conflict-and-war, defence-and-national-security,defence-industry, defence-forces, regional-development,business-economics-and-finance, regional, parliament-house-2600

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...-mattis-kangaroo-skin-leather-jackets/8698110

What do Tony Abbott, kangaroos and James 'Mad Dog' Mattis all have in common?

ABC Rural
Regional affairs reporter Lucy Barbour
Print Email Facebook Twitter More
PHOTO: Tony Abbott was given this kangaroo-skin leather jacket soon after he lost the prime ministership.(ABC News: Nick Haggarty)

A couple of weeks after he lost the prime ministership, Tony Abbott was enjoying a seaside lunch in Sydney when a burly bloke came bearing a gift.

Mark Wales handed Abbott a black leather jacket on behalf of their mutual friend, Liberal MP Andrew Hastie.

Wales designed the jacket and took the opportunity to deliver it in person while home from New York.

The jacket, the young entrepreneur explained, was made for a particular type of person.

Someone who had taken a few knocks, stood firmly by their values and who should not be taken lightly.

Wales thought Abbott was a good fit and the former PM loves the look.

It takes a lot to make someone like me to look cool, but I'm told it works," Abbott laughed.

PHOTO: Tony Abbott models his kangaroo-skin leather jacket in his office in Parliament House.(ABC News: Nick Haggarty)

Like Abbott, Wales had suffered some significant setbacks.

Before his career turned to clothing, Wales fought for his country as a member of the elite Special Air Services Regiment (SASR) in Afghanistan.

The experience took a big toll on his mental health, but fashion gave him a focus and a will.

He was always torn between his martial calling and the lure of the catwalk; a kid from the country who simply liked to look hip.

But his clothes were often covered in dust.

Wales grew up in the ancient, dry landscapes of Western Australia's Pilbara, playing war games in the red dirt with his siblings.

In high school, a friend showed him a photograph of black-clad British troops storming the Iranian Embassy in London to rescue western hostages.

"The second I saw it I thought, that's it, that's what I want to do," he recalled.

PHOTO: Mark Wales served in the Special Air Services Regiment in Afghanistan.(Supplied)

He was selected for the SASR in 2004.

During Wales's time in Afghanistan, special operations uniforms were modified. He admired the changes but kept his passion for fashion largely to himself.

"They became more form-fitted and minimalist. It stopped things getting in the way," he said.

His idea to make jackets modelled on combat gear was born on the battlefield. But first he needed to make it home.

By the time he finished his tour, Wales had witnessed death and destruction.

However, the real damage was mental and no amount of designer clothing could fix it.

I couldn't concentrate, I'd be constantly flat, no emotions at all. Sometimes I wouldn't feel anything," he said.

He pushed those feelings aside when he earned a place at a top business college in the United States. Wales's close mates were worried about him.

One of them was Hastie, also an ex-SASR trooper.

PHOTO: Liberal MP Andrew Hastie admires the risks his good friend Mark Wales took.(ABC News: Jed Cooper)

"Mark's physicality was like a shield. He's this big, muscly dude who looks invincible. Nobody would have known he was struggling," Hastie said.

"He took risks going to the US."

But studying overseas helped Wales get into a routine.

I had a chance to properly rest. I slept for nine hours a night," he said.

He ate well, took up cross-fit and surfing, and he "retrained" his brain.

"All those things gradually laid a pretty good foundation for recovering," Wales said.

Soon he was ready to revisit his plan to mix war and fashion.

PHOTO: Mark Wales's leather jackets are inspired by his experience as an SASR trooper, but also by Jason Bourne and the Terminator.(Supplied)

His high-end kangaroo-skin leather jackets are inspired by SASR uniforms, but there are other influences too.

The design draws on a touch of Terminator and a bit of Jason Bourne.

James Bond's a little too clean-cut and Top Gun's a little wanky," Wales laughed.

He wanted the jackets to resonate with uniformed personnel, so he invited war veterans to model them.

He even extended the invitation to one of America's top brass, retired four-star general and current US Defence Secretary James "Mad Dog" Mattis.

PHOTO: James "Mad Dog" Mattis wears a leather jacket designed by Mark Wales.(Supplied)

Mattis is admired for his strategic intellect and enthusiasm for chatting to junior troops, often imparting blunt, bold advice.

Wales has always been a fan.

He credits Mattis with inspiring him to take the next step.

"He came out to a morning tea when I was at business college," Wales said.

"He told us the best thing we could do for the security of the country was to go out and start good businesses to make the economy stronger."

He wonders whether Mattis might one day don the jacket, with aviators, in a war zone.

PHOTO: Mark Wales is now leading a happier, healthier life.(Supplied)

Nowadays, Wales is a happier, healthier person but he reads the steady stream of stories about war veterans who are struggling and wonders whether they help or hinder recovery.

"The constant question a lot of us ask is where the issue lies," he said.

"Is it the fact people have mental illness coming back from war and the fact they're not properly reported, or is it the fact that if enough people tell you you're broken, you'll start to believe it?

"I think it's probably a combination of all those things."

It is why Wales wants to focus on the positives.

For every story you hear to the tune that [veterans] weren't supported properly, you'll hear about people that have gone on to found gyms or run ultra marathons," he said.

"There are all these things where they've taken a big leap."

His most recent leap was starring in the latest series of Channel 10's Survivor.

And yes, he managed to smuggle his leather jacket onto the island.

Topics: fashion, design, health, depression, community-and-society,history, unrest-conflict-and-war, defence-and-national-security,defence-industry, defence-forces, regional-development,business-economics-and-finance, regional, parliament-house-2600

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...-mattis-kangaroo-skin-leather-jackets/8698110

He's even grosser than I thought

anigif_enhanced-21422-1395072591-3.gif

Back