Australian Survivor: Articles

Discussion in 'Australian Survivor' started by reepbot, Mar 24, 2016.

1. reepbot

reepbot Why?

Former Survivor contestant Stephen Fishbach spills show secrets
    MARCH 24, 2016

3:30PM

Survivor contestant Stephen Fishbach has a breakdown
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Staff writers

news.com.au
    A TWO-TIME Survivor contestant has revealed what viewers don’t see on TV.

Stephen Fishbach, who competed in Survivor: Tocantins in 2009 and last year’sSurvivor: Cambodia, wrote on Quora that “99% of Survivor is below the surface”.

“On-air you see the tribal councils, the challenges, maybe a few key goofy moments, and a lot of strategy talk. But ultimately you’re only seeing about 10-15 minutes of camp life for every 72 hours that’s filmed. There’s a lot of boredom, lying around, chatting about families, making dumb jokes.”

Fishbach, who finished second on the reality show in 2009, said a fair chunk of each day is taken up with strategy talk.

“I will almost guarantee for you that everybody talks to everybody, at least a little. They just show the conversations that are most relevant to the story at play.

“There’s also just much more daily maintenance that goes into building an alliance and pulling off a plan than you see. From the perspective of the show, it’s one or two conversations, a handshake, and then the trigger is pulled. It’s actually 20 or 30 conversations, tons of small reinforcements, little moments of support and reassurance.”

[​IMG]
    Stephen Fishbach now hosts a podcast called The Purple Rock Survivor Podcast.Source:Supplied

According to Fishbach, there are three main personality traits that are essential in order to do well on the show.

“Adaptability is definitely a top attribute,” he wrote.

“Things change quickly, and you have to be able to accept that your plans may change too. That could be from a huge shift in the game — say, a swap or the merge — or it could just be that you learn some new intel. You have to be able to change your plans and not get locked into one way of thinking about things.

“You also have to be observant — and trust your observations. Having great reads on people may be the MOST valuable skill.

“Self-control is also important. Being able to look calm when you’re really paranoid. People are attracted to confident and relaxed allies — paranoia just breeds paranoia.”

The corporate consultant from New York got to compete on Survivor for the second time in 2015 when 20 former players were voted onto the season by fans.

[​IMG]
    Jeff Probst addresses the remaining survivors before the start of a challenge on Survivor: Cambodia.Source:Channel 9

And his preparation changed dramatically from when he first appeared on the show.

“First of all, at a baseline, there’s different types of physical training,” wrote Fishbach.

“Before my first time on Survivor, I spent a lot of hours in the gym — bulking up with muscle strength. I quickly learned that kind of power is irrelevant on Survivor, and plus you’re adding a lot of mass that will just atrophy when you’re deprived of calories.

“You need short burst endurance and speed, as well as balance. For my second time, I did a lot of Crossfit-style, full body workouts that lasted 20-30 minutes of sustained effort.”

These are definitely some handy tips for contestants on the upcoming Australian Survivor which will air on Network Ten later this year.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...s/news-story/4dfdc934a8d79397385ab0b0beaee5a5

2. Vantz

Vantz New Member

delcan likes this.
  3. delcan

delcan Game of Thrones Expert Awesome site donor

Not as cool as here ;)

Vantz likes this.
  4. reepbot

reepbot Why?

I would be happy with your first two choices for host! Grant Bowler is great, and I always liked James.

delcan likes this.
  5. delcan

delcan Game of Thrones Expert Awesome site donor

I really think Grant Bowler's performance on The Mole, as well as Border Security, make him as close to a Jeff Probst we have in Australia. He has the acting skills as well. He would be my preference and I think he could carry the show. I think James would also be a great choice - he has shown himself to be a great host and I think he is mature enough to handle this role.

reepbot likes this.
  6. reepbot

reepbot Why?

Yes! The mole was very underrated i thought.

I liked James' laconic sense of humor on Australian Idol. Him and Osher worked well together.

Vantz and delcan like this.
  7. Vantz

Vantz New Member

I tried to make the list realistic in terms of who I think TEN would select as a host... Except for my number 1 pick. I could not go past Grant, I just love everything he does, however think it is super unlikely.

Dan McPherson also busy in the States but would be a good choice.

If I was a betting person (i'm not), i'd likely go Dr. Chris Brown as he is with TEN and they have high opinion of his work. I'm not a huge fan, but whoever gets the role will struggle to live up to Jeff.

delcan likes this.
  8. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

As much as I like Dr. Chris Brown I think the host should be someone fresh who isn't hosting a show right now on TV. Chris also does Bondi Vet and The Living Room for the rest of the year. If he hosted Survivor that would make him appearing on four shows in total and perhaps that is too much exposure?

Same with Grant Denyer. He will have The Great Australian Spelling Bee which will air just before Survivor starts. It would be Grant Denyer overkill. I also think he wouldn't be able to do Family Feud as well if he went off to host this.

The only person I really couldn't stand hosting from your list @Vantz is Shelley Craft. She hosted a Big Brother program back in 2013 called Big Brother Showdown which was like Friday Night Games. She was absolutely dreadful on it. I think she is too sickly sweet. And she reeks of Channel Nine. They are EVIL I tell you!!! :p

Grant Bowler is probably busy over in the US right?

Narrowing it down on your list if they were to pick someone from there I think (pure speculation this is) it could be between Matt White, Rove, Daniel MacPherson and James Mathison.

Saying that though:
    Matt White has motor racing commitments all year.
    Daniel might be busy in the states.
    Rove might not be interested. Not sure about him to be honest and if hosting a reality TV show would appeal to him.

delcan likes this.
  9. Fuzz

Fuzz Well-Known Member

You need man who commands respect. And is steely and unflinching in chaos.
    [​IMG]
    Steve Jacobs!

kxk, delcan, huwman and 1 other person like this.
  10. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

:hilarious: Oh dear!

11. huwman

huwman Well-Known Member

also don't forget that rove has a morning radio show now, would be pretty tough to host from some random island wouldn't it?

12. Meglos

Meglos HAVE A NECTARINE, GONK

Shelley Craft, Grant Denyer or Jamie Durie would totally ruin this from the get go. Along with being annoying personalities, Shelley and Grant are too bubbly and lack the gravitas needed for Survivor.

The others aren't too bad, though I don't see Dr Chris Brown as a good match either.

13. Witty Banter

Witty Banter I see brinkpeople.

I think Jamie Durie will be wearing coordinating khaki and blue fatigues and handing out free hint buffs at the Channel 10 canteen to get himself across the line. :(

If you squint, I even look like Jeff, he is thinking.
    [​IMG]

Daltrim likes this.
  14. reepbot

reepbot Why?

Daniel McPherson is a charisma suck hole of suckiness. If he is host the show will fail.

kxk likes this.
  15. Vantz

Vantz New Member

I agree with everything you said. When you write an article for certain outlets, you have to include certain things they may want you to include despite not personally agreeing with some points. (This was originally posted on Survivor Oz), you also include people that may cause debate and argument. :) This was not my dream list, more a list of who could be likely considering it is being produced by TEN.

16. reepbot

reepbot Why?

[​IMG]

Reality
    Actor Jonathan LaPaglia surprise pick to host Australian Survivor
    April 10, 2016 12:00am
    Tiffany DunkNational TV EditorNews Corp Australia Network
    [​IMG]
    Jonathan LaPaglia is the surprise pick to host the new series Australian Survivor. Picture: Glen McCurtayne/Coleman Rayner.

THE tribe at Network Ten has spoken: Jonathan LaPaglia has been named as the host of upcoming big-budget reality series Australian Survivor.

The Aussie actor, best known for his roles in TV series including Love Child and The Slap, will be seen by many as a surprising choice for the network. Not only is this his first hosting gig, but his name hasn’t once appeared during the months of speculation about who would take on the coveted role.

Experienced Australian hosts including Rove McManus, Jamie Durie and Dr Chris Brown were all popular picks for the plum job.

Even LaPaglia himself is still trying to work out how he managed to beat out such seasoned competitors.

“I’m not sure why they singled me out,” the 46-year-old actor told News Corp from his LA home.

“Out of the blue my agent called me and said, ‘How would you feel about hosting Survivor?

[​IMG]
    LaPaglia says producers had a list of attributes for the hosting role.
    They know I’m into outdoor pursuits and I guess they wanted someone who had some humanity for the contestants, but was also an authoritative figure. That’s how (the producers) put it to me. I think they must be talking about someone else though!”

Already a fan of the popular American series, which is currently in it’s 32nd season, since landing the gig LaPaglia has been binge-watching old episodes to get up to speed before he starts work.

“My daughter (Tilly, 11, with wife Ursula Brooks) hadn’t seen Survivor before but now we’ve been watching a whole bunch together,” he said. “The whole family is totally hooked and obsessed.”

He also got some much needed advice from American host Jeff Probst about how to tackle the demanding gig.

With Probst having to constantly think on his feet while commentating unpredictable challenges plus helming emotional and explosive tribal councils, he’s often named as having one of the most challenging hosting roles on television.

[​IMG]
    Jonathan LaPaglia gained some valuable insights from US Survivor host Jeff Probst.
    The pair met over coffee where LaPaglia grilled Probst about the complexities of the role, especially how to helm those critical tribal councils.

“His job in that part of the show is to try and peel back layers and press buttons to try and expose people,” said LaPaglia

“Hopefully I’ll be attentive and perceptive and pick upon stuff that’s going on.”

With the number of applicants for the series now at well over 15,000 people, LaPaglia will travel to the yet-to-be-disclosed South Pacific location for over two months when filming starts later this year.

And while he made a point that acting is still his number one passion, he’s certainly open to another hosting role should Survivor work out well.

“I’m totally terrified doing a job like Survivor but excited too,” he said. “I love a challenge.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/en...k=5b1b0351bdb659b565caf502ae4a0dae-1460215965

Bluefin and delcan like this.
  17. insider06

insider06 Well-Known Member

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/inside-...the-international-format-off-his-bucket-list/

Bluefin, Melchior and delcan like this.
  18. the Theorist

the Theorist Over-thinker. Over-analyser. Over-complainer. Awesome site donor

I found that interesting. I'm under the impression that Big Brother had even more than that at least once at its peak?

19. insider06

insider06 Well-Known Member

That was my thought as well. I'm pretty sure BB2005 had the same number (15, 000). I wouldn't be surprised if 2003/2004 or 2006 had more applications then that.

20. the Theorist

the Theorist Over-thinker. Over-analyser. Over-complainer. Awesome site donor

I know Gretel definitely mentions the amount of applicants during specials and/or openings of the 2001-2005 seasons, especially in the early years, so when I can be bothered I might check it out and report back! Haha.

insider06 likes this.