Skip to main content

Australian Survivor: Articles

Good article - how fantastic this show is

They’ve nailed it: Why this season of Survivor is the best ever
OPINION

LAST year, when Channel Ten announced that a new version of Survivor was rebooting down under, expectations started out as low as humanly possible.

I mean, why would anyone with half a current brain take an ageing American reality TV show that’s running out of ways to freshen the formula, let alone one that Australia tried (and failed) to properly franchise over two seasons back when Dicko was a drawcard?

In what topsy-turvy world would any of this lead to quality television viewing?

This one, it turns out.

HOW THEY NAILED IT

The cast know their stuff

The producers and casting department were smart enough to pick Aussies who not only see Survivor as a game first, reality TV show second, but are actually well-versed in the game in all its zillion variables.
b8a79c2b56ec23301f7eea0774e14ca3

As more and more people cottoned onto the fact that Brook was excelling in every aspect of the game, the target on her back grew too large.

Selected primarily due to attractiveness or not, almost every single of this season’s castaways were marooned with pre-existing tactics in mind, whether in dealing with fellow tribe members, facing physical challenges, living through the elements, or the added dimension of remaining conscious of the manipulative potential of editing.

THE MOTLEY CREW

Every episode of this reboot has offered at least one memorable moment, and that’s partly thanks to the colourful group of castaways and what they’ve brought (or think they’ve brought) to the game

e780d031f48ec75b9a96824c5c500d34

The casting this year was top notch.

We had Des, an older bloke so threatened by the youngsters he withholds construction skills until it becomes clear that he’s about to go home. Unfortunately, no last-minute luxury shelter could alter the man’s dire fate.

We had Private Investigator Bianca, who bragged about her covert skills after telling her tribe she was an accountant and the camera that she was going to lay low, then went on to badger everyone with strategic questions until her ass was heading home before the game had really started.

Sue, the no-bulls**t matriarch, and Pete, the unobjectionable patriarch, each revered by their respective teammates despite their lack of ability in challenges; condescendingly referred to as “the heart and soul” of their tribe as compensation.

Matt the mentalism-slash-magician, whose very profession suggested future feats of miraculous gameplay, but who ended up lackey to queen bee’s Brooke and Flick, remaining either unaware or in straight-up denial that his “Charlies Angels” had no intention of staying loyal. Matt is still in the game, but by no doing of his own. Unless it’s magic?

We’ve had Rohan the model with a decent sized brain who wasn’t as smart as he thought. Phoebe, the young criminal lawyer who fought so hard on her way out, she managed to steal control of the game for a few episodes. And Andrew, all cocky and pasty and overcompensating, spurting pro-money, anti-wilderness drivel.

And that’s merely a third of the group.

THE RICHEST RULES, THE TASTIEST TWISTS

Naturally, as the US version of Survivor is in its 33rd season, the creators have gone to some fairly woeful extents in order to keep the show fresh, such as voted-off contestants heading to “Redemption Island” instead of on a plane home; a do-or-die arena that eventually enables the last-contestant-standing to re-enter the game.

Luckily, our version was put together by people who seem to have taken 33 seasons worth of notes and figured out which spanners should end up in the works.

Thankfully, those bittersweet immunity idols are in play, waiting at the end of clues or even wrapped in a napkin for one lucky reward-winner to stumble upon, as well as one unique idol that can be played (once) to render the vote of an individual invalid.

We saw a tribal council attended by two tribes, who each voted off a member then discovered they’d just voted for two members to switch tribes.
Take all that, throw in the most-well loved Survivor challenges including the always-hilarious “Survivor Auction”, and this incarnation of the game barely boasts a dull segment.

AUSSIES ARE BAD-ASS

Emaciated and wearing suits of dirt, those who reach the U.S. version of final tribal council have undoubtedly tested themselves for longer than any human would desire: 39 long days.

Pfft. 39? Australian Survivors aim to make it to day 55.

That’s right, 55.

AMERICAN SUPERFANS ARE ADMITTING DEFEAT

Not in the sense that their version pales in comparison, but in the sense that they expected very little and got a whole lot. Former contestants Rob Cesternino and Stephen Fishbach, who run the Survivor Know-it-alls podcast, have spent hour upon hour dissecting the episodes while lavishing straight-faced praise on, or expressing childlike joy over, the season.

DAYS 54 AND 55

Tonight, six remaining castaways are set to fight (and scurry and whisper and plead and lie) for their place in a tribal council. With only two remaining episodes, chances are we might see some version of a double-elimination.

Whatever happens, kudos to all involved in the season for breathing new life into an increasingly stale show, and thank you doubly for making easier to admit to being a Survivor fan.
1f24b5179ac1120e1f8adfc90a893c23

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...d/news-story/6c5b69af2499483cc5818f6839168690

Survivor’s secret romance finally revealed
October 17, 2016

FOLLOWING weeks of playing it coy in the face of mounting speculation, Survivor contestants Lee Carseldine and El Rowland have finally confirmed the hottest secret on reality TV: They’re officially a couple.

The loved-up pair made the confession in a joint interview with The Daily Telegraph’s Confidential, admitting that a relationship was the last thing on their minds when they each entered the Samoan jungle in a quest to win $500,000.

“It wasn’t in my mind at all, to find somebody I click with so well,” said 33-year-old army corporal Rowland.

80372f1d967ac3c678863c8b2ad8c0c2

Elena Rowland and Lee Carseldine, officially an item. Picture: Annette DewSource:News Corp Australia

“We’ve got similar personalities, similar lifestyles and we’re both single parents. We connected on that level and on a life level as well.”

Aerial photographer and ex-cricketer Carseldine, 40, acknowledged that the pair had met in the “most unusual of circumstances”.

The pair had previously played it coy about their burgeoning relationship, despite their fellow castaways making frequent references to their close bond during their time on the show.

They acknowledged that trying to make a relationship work in real life after such unusual beginnings had been a struggle at first, with Rowland saying their “mental and physical states” weren’t the best after filming finished.

“We’ve thought about the long-term, and he’s definitely someone I’d like to keep seeing,” she said.

aedc57014a73f225fdd2f3cdc323f2b8

The pair are two of the most well-liked contestants on the show. Picture: Nigel Wright/Endemolshine Australia and Network TenSource:Channel 10

“Outside of the show, it’s all about getting to know each other. It’s been a bit of a whirlwind, trying to get back to work and into real life,” said Carseldine.

The super-fit single dad has made no secret of his quest to find a new partner, having been in the running to be The Bachelor for the 2013 season of the show. Don’t expect him to try out for any other reality shows anytime soon, though.

“I think I’m going to retire now on top in regard to doing one of the best reality TV shows in Survivor, that’s not knocking The Bachelor or MasterChef or anything like that, but there was a choice to do reality TV, it would be Survivor,he said.

Not happy with all the publicity Lee is getting. I don't want him to win at all but he has a great shot. The best chance of him not making the end is Matt winning some kind of puzzle.

I liked that article above but they are way overstating the kniwledge of the players about the game. Only a few really knew the game and a bunch had no idea. One was elite tier, which is fantastic as they don't come along often.

The show deserves heaps of praise and I'm glad they are getting it.

Love you @delcan, but that last article is why we need a dislike button. :thumbsdown:

Lee is only 7 years older than El, but looks like he has 25 years on her in that picture. Without context he could be her dad. Total butter face, ha! Wear sunscreen, people.

Love you @delcan, but that last article is why we need a dislike button. :thumbsdown:

Lee is only 7 years older than El, but looks like he has 25 years on her in that picture. Without context he could be her dad. Total butter face, ha! Wear sunscreen, people.
It's s terrible photo of both of them.

Great article even with that mistake.

I love this bit...

AUSSIES ARE BAD-ASS

Emaciated and wearing suits of dirt, those who reach the U.S. version of final tribal council have undoubtedly tested themselves for longer than any human would desire: 39 long days.

Pfft. 39? Australian Survivors aim to make it to day 55.

That’s right, 55.

Whatever happens, kudos to all involved in the season for breathing new life into an increasingly stale show, and thank you doubly for making easier to admit to being a Survivor fan.

Not happy with all the publicity Lee is getting. I don't want him to win at all but he has a great shot. The best chance of him not making the end is Matt winning some kind of puzzle.

I liked that article above but they are way overstating the kniwledge of the players about the game. Only a few really knew the game and a bunch had no idea. One was elite tier, which is fantastic as they don't come along often.

The show deserves heaps of praise and I'm glad they are getting it.

He is getting a lot of radio publicity in Brisbane as well

'I'll give it my best crack': Australian Survivor's Sam Webb has his sights set on an acting career after turning down an audition for Home And Away
By KRISTY JOHNSON and ANEETA BHOLE FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 09:13 +11:00, 18 October 2016 | UPDATED: 09:34 +11:00, 18 October 2016

He's the loveable charity CEO, who was ousted from Australian Survivor on Monday night.

And now Sam Webb, has revealed he has his sights firmly set on an acting career, after revealing he turned down an audition for Home And Away due to his Channel Ten commitments.

Admitting that a role on television is his next move, the 28-year-old told The Daily Telegraph he will 'give it my best crack.'

Scroll down for video

3972D65900000578-3845508-image-a-8_1476740115726.jpg

New role: Australian Survivor's Sam Webb, 28, has revealed he has his sights firmly set on an acting career after reality TV adding that he will give acting 'my best crack'

Sam told the publication acting is his 'passion', admitting: 'I'd love to get into TV and acting'.

'I've had a few auditions that I've had to turn away, but when I'm back on my feet, I'll give it my best crack,' the reality TV star said.

Sam's comments come shortly after he was voted off the island on Monday night's episode of Australian Survivor.

3942F4CD00000578-3845508-image-m-10_1476740458150.jpg

'That's where my passion is. I'd love to get into TV and acting': Sam revealed to the publication that he had to put his acting dream on hold, due to Australian Survivor commitments

It was a tense tribal council, with Lee Carseldine revealing a secret award which saw fellow contestant Sam out of the draw to vote.

Paranoia struck the Island camp last week, with new alliances being made between Kristy Bennet, Flick Eggington and Matt Tarrant.

But despite new friendships being carved, Kristy and Flick had the deciding votes which saw Sam being voted from the island.

3974A7F200000578-3843496-image-m-47_1476700408044.jpg

+13
3974A7FE00000578-3843496-image-a-48_1476700414737.jpg

Controversial: It was a tense tribal council, when Lee Carseldine (left) revealed a secret award which saw fellow contestant Sam put out of the draw to vote

Whispers of 'power couple' Lee and El Rowland began to pull Kristy and Flick away from their original alliance, but the pair decided to stick with them until the final five.

El revealed earlier in the episode that if she was going to win it would be her 'dream to end with Lee.'

'It is my dream to make it to the end with Lee. Together, we are a power couple in this game and I think we could take on anything.

'We stick to our decisions, we stick to our guns. We know how to approach people and reassure people, and we're going to be together until the end.'

3975373B00000578-3843496-image-m-84_1476704230088.jpg

'It's a very smart move to make, but it's also a very risky move to make': Flick admitted her new alliance with Kristy and Matt may be a risk when coming up against El and Lee

The evident bond between the two began to create weaknesses in Kristy and Flick who earlier in Monday night's episode were ready to get rid of them.

'It's a very smart move to make, but it's also a very risky move to make. I'm breaking a promise to Lee and El,' admitted Flick at breakfast at a luxury spa she spent the night.

'So it could probably come back and bite me hard,' she added.

After a challenge for immunity which saw the final six balancing on wooden boxes in the ocean, thoughts began to return to El and Lee's relationship.

39746E7300000578-3843496-image-m-50_1476700450863.jpg

Strong bond: The evident bond between El and Lee began to create weaknesses in Kristy and Flick's alliance with them who earlier on Monday night's episode were ready to get rid of them

39746E9B00000578-3843496-image-m-56_1476700676691.jpg

Immunity: After a challenge for immunity, which saw the final six balancing on wooden boxes in the ocean, saw Lee win Kristy and Flick began to reconsider their blind side

Lee won the challenge and celebrated with El who embraced him knowing she would be able to now send home Sam without the risk of losing Lee if their alliances were to falter.

After seeing the win Kristy made the decision to be honest with Lee telling him she'd been confused about her decision all afternoon.

'They want to execute that strategy of the reward conversation yesterday. Flick has told me to vote for El. I've been so confused all afternoon.

To which Lee responded: 'That's your test, then. Your test is whether you're gonna jump ship with them or not.'

39746E8000000578-3843496-Stressed_Kristy_broke_down_after_her_decision_to_stay_true_to_Le-m-79_1476703921299.jpg

Stressed: Kristy broke down after her decision to stay true to Lee and El was challenged with her chance to make it into the final two

39746E7C00000578-3843496-Chaos_Kristy_was_seen_being_reassured_by_castaways_Flick_and_El_-m-80_1476703957586.jpg

Chaos: Kristy was seen being reassured by castaways Flick and El when she broke down on Monday's episode

At a controversial tribal council it was revealed that several remaining contestants saw the strong bond between Lee and El and and thought they would win if they stayed in the game together.

'I see a pretty clear hierarchy,' said Matt.

'I think I probably do see Lee and El at the top at the moment. And Kristie and Flick are somewhere in the middle.'

Before votes were counted, Lee surprised the final six with a secret reward which allowed him to veto Sam from voting.

39752A8300000578-3843496-image-m-77_1476703813754.jpg

'Flick has told me to vote for El': Kristy confided in Lee when she didn't know how to go about tribal council after breaking down from confusion

39752A7F00000578-3843496-image-m-78_1476703884544.jpg

'Your test is whether you're gonna jump ship with them or not': Lee revealed that he wasn't sure about Kristy but reassured her that it wouldn't be helpful to her game to change alliances

When the votes were cast, Sam and Matt were tied which saw a secondary vote that eliminated Sam from the game.

In his exit interview Sam said: 'It's been 49 days of blood, sweat and tears.

'There's been highs, lows, and I'm very proud of where I'm at. Zero regrets.

'Only positives to take away from this and life-defining and life-changing, definitely.'

39752C6D00000578-3843496-image-m-82_1476704197830.jpg

'I see a pretty clear hierarchy': Matt admitted at a controversial tribal council that the strong bond between Lee and El may see the 'power couple' end up in the final two

3974A82200000578-3843496-image-a-55_1476700663255.jpg

No longer in the running: Sam revealed that he was putting his support behind the 'underdog' revealing he hoped Matt would be the sole survivor when he was voted off the island

396F909000000578-3843496-image-a-59_1476700725569.jpg

'You broke the alliance's trust and there's consequences to that': Lee revealed that he voted for Sam because his trust was broken when he and Brooke tried to blindside them

FULL ARTICLE
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...turning-audition-Home-Away.html#ixzz4NQKL0vtL

This will be odd:

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2016/10/all-star-family-feud-survivor.html

Following their Survivor run, 8 players from two tribes will attempt to outwit, outlast and outplay each other in an All Star Family Feud special on TEN.

Team captain Lee Carseldine leads his Saanapu tribe members Elena Rowland, Sam Webb and Brooke Jowett.

Vavau tribe members Rohan Maclaren, Phoebe Timmins and Sue Clarke will be led by team captain Conner Bethune in a return grudge match set to send sparks flying.

This will air 7:30pm Sunday October 30 on TEN.

That should be good, I enjoyed the Prisoner one last night. Ugh at team Saanapu, but team Vavau sounds awesome. I wish it was Craig instead of Rohan though.

Total speculation here, but wouldn't it be nice if Lee & El's participation in this indicates they don't win Survivor.

That should be good, I enjoyed the Prisoner one last night. Ugh at team Saanapu, but team Vavau sounds awesome. I wish it was Craig instead of Rohan though.

Total speculation here, but wouldn't it be nice if Lee & El's participation in this indicates they don't win Survivor.

...that's a great speculation there my friend... I reckon that you're onto something... I just hope that it's true... cheers.

Brooke has a podcast on Australian Survivor Community. I don't have a link though

Back