Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 26 FINALE Discussion

Agree. But I saw somewhere that he said he just collapsed.
Anyway, what's the general reaction in Australia to Kristie winning?

...I'd say quite fantabulous to be honest... my sweet darling wife and others are so thrilled that a female won it for a start... and (I think)... kxk and other ladies on here earlier in the series stated that they were so proud of the fact that our Survivor wasn't like the US and just voted the 'wimmen' off one after the other as they apparently do in overseas Survivors from memory... with Kristie winning it that is at least some confirmation that we're not as sexist as other countries in many peoples eyes... that makes me feel good about our series and made the series more enjoyable for me at least... as I've said many times before... for my first ever Survivor series... what a great ending by having Kristie win it!... an absolutely brilliant effort by her in that challenge and her responses and turning around of some of the Jury were phenomenal...

...oh!... and by the way... to all of the people that conned me into watching this after 'Masterchef' and 'Help Get Me Outta Here'... I'm eternally in your debt... thankyou so much for persisting with me until I did lol!... cheers.

While some obviously like Kristie I think quite a few were ok with the outcome simply because Lee didn't win.

I still don't think you can take all she said at face value. It's more that she did a job of playing the jury and exploiting the fact that Lee was so useless. The big move thing for instance was bullshit, Kate made the move on Phoebe not Kristie. But Kristie could exploit the fact that neither Kate or Conner, who knew that, were there to contradict what she said. So that was clever, not honest but that's Survivor.

And this whole 'I was the underdog' thing isn't really gameplay, I think she was just using that to make out she overcame lots. She was the underdog all the way partly because she wasn't part of an alliance. But that in itself often makes you a very easy target at some points, and she was in danger more than she needed to be.

Of course the under the radar gameplay has been seen before and is valid but it can be underwhelming for some viewers. It was a valid point to say that those who made big moves went. But big moves make the show, without that nothing would happen. She got away with saying that perhaps as most of the jury didn't bother making moves.

This was not the Kristie who sat at most tribal councils with a crazy look on her face mumbling a few incoherent words. That was a Kristie that had planned her responses and was on her game for all the questions fired at her

That's why your supposed to do at the final tribal council of course. Before I think she would have been better off keeping quiet if she had nothing prepared.

I agree with the "people who are glad Lee didn't win" idea. I'm part of that group. It's good for Kristie that she had to overcome an incredibly difficult immunity challenge, which makes her win more deserving. I think Lee lost concentration and fell, so she did outlast him. Her dad carrying her made me tear up.

Kristie was not a good player but she had an amazing final episode. If she knew that she couldn't beat Flick or Matt in the end, and I don't know if she could, then getting rid of them makes sense. She had to know that the jury wouldn't want Lee to win either. She quite likely loses to El- who seemed to be well liked. I'm a little mad the editors didn't show us more of that- instead we saw Lee emotionally manipulating her which was a bad look for both of them.

She was saved by a twist but she put herself in some of the tough situations she was in, and she could have done more.
She was smart enough to get Lee and El to protect her after the merge. Maybe she saw that the strategists were picked off and we saw Lee warning her.

I feel good that Lee didn't win. I feel good that Kristie really fought with everything she had to win that challenge. So I think she's a good winner.

I'm also glad a woman won and that the women (and men) were fearless about voting out men. Phoebe made her mistake by not allying with Craig, but I don't know if he would have worked with her. For me Phoebe is the shooting star of this group and I want her to play again, though it may never happen.

...oh!... and by the way... to all of the people that conned me into watching this after 'Masterchef' and 'Help Get Me Outta Here'... I'm eternally in your debt... thankyou so much for persisting with me until I did lol!... cheers.

You're welcome ;) I knew you'd enjoy it, and that you would make a fantastic contribution to the topics, so it's a win for everyone.

I agree that this season had some fantastic female players, all sorts of strong role models of many different types. It was the women who made all the big moves. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but there weren't any who were just there for "eye candy", they were all strong and intelligent.

I agree that this season had some fantastic female players, all sorts of strong role models of many different types. It was the women who made all the big moves. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but there weren't any who were just there for "eye candy", they were all strong and intelligent.

Yes! Spot on. Big Sue, full of grit. I loved her no nonsense attitude all series, and the way she growled admiringly as she held up her vote for Kristie at the urn, "Good girl."

Kylie, a freaking fire fighter, who kept her spirits up and played for her team, even as they ostracised her. Phoebe, who played hard. JL, who spoke up and would not be silenced. Kate, down to earth and full of grit. Brooke, a beast in challenges and controlled the tribe. Flick, with her strong social game and ability to guilt and manipulate, who lost control. El, good in challenges. Kristie, El, Kate, and Brooke were amazing in some of those earlier challenges that required agility, strength, endurance, and clinging on to various poles. There were other women - like Bianca, the private investigator - who left too soon, who it would have been interesting to see more of.

And Kristie, uber underdog! I just loved her. I loved her in the way I loved Cochran, and Spencer in his first season, for her point of view in confessionals and her facial expressions within the tribe. I think you'd have to be daft to not see her gameplay was as valid as Brooke's or Flick's, or Phoebe's - and it was certainly more effective in the end.

I promise I'll shut up about Kristie soon (ok, maybe not :p).

I see some people criticising her for not actually playing the game or having a coherent strategy, but I think what she said in the final tribal council had a lot of truth to it.

There are different ways to strategize. Part of being a good player is to read the behavior of your fellow players and adapt your game accordingly, and I think she generally did that brilliantly. In an environment where so many were keen to try to make a big move, and were soon voted off (all the way back to Evan on Aganoa), Kristie was wise to play independently while the one side ate the other. Time and time again, she banked on making herself appear the least threatening of the minority group, waiting for the internal cracks within each majority to lead to a full fracture, "moving the heat" away from her as she stated. That strikes me as a player who has correctly evaluated the situation and who has stayed a step ahead of everyone else.

Yes, there were definitely some weak moments: she did have a few breakdowns, and she was saved by the kidnapping twist. Phoebe definitely had her beat then, but Kristie was able to recover from the "I didn't know about the idol" fiasco and played on the good natures of Kate and Conner to cast herself as less shady than Phoebe.

Her moves in Fia Fia made sense. She knew that her strongest allegiance was to her former Aganoa tribe mates, who weren't making big moves themselves, so the heat she could have taken at Final Tribal for not making big moves was less scalding as it would have been against someone like JL. It was risky to bank on Lee and El, but they had brilliantly made themselves part of the inner core of the old Saanapu tribe. And at the end, promise or no promise, it was wise to take Lee, who clearly would be less able or willing to turn the heat on Kristie.

Kristie's game was one of high risk but high reward. She may not have been the very best player of the 24, but she has to be up there. Seeing her overcome her clear struggles with anxiety and her social awkwardness, last 55 days with no rewards, muster the strength to outlast two amazing physical threats in that epic immunity challenge, and absolutely blitz that final tribal council was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen on TV.

The women in this series were so much more dynamic and interesting than the men...on virtually every level.....with the possible exception of Craig.

Overall, I agree. Even someone like El, who most despise here, was clearly very good socially. She came over as sort of "easy pickings" in case of a tribal council, but she worked her way up to the top of that alliance. I liked Kat, too.

I'd add Nick to the list of guys with a lot of value. Like him or not, he stirred things up.

The women in this series were so much more dynamic and interesting than the men...on virtually every level.....with the possible exception of Craig.
It's 2015/16- years of woman power in Hollywood. Every tv show is following the trend. Look at game of thrones, they killed or cut the dick off every Male and the only one left with a set of balls is a midget.

I promise I'll shut up about Kristie soon (ok, maybe not :p).

I see some people criticising her for not actually playing the game or having a coherent strategy, but I think what she said in the final tribal council had a lot of truth to it.

There are different ways to strategize. Part of being a good player is to read the behavior of your fellow players and adapt your game accordingly, and I think she generally did that brilliantly. In an environment where so many were keen to try to make a big move, and were soon voted off (all the way back to Evan on Aganoa), Kristie was wise to play independently while the one side ate the other. Time and time again, she banked on making herself appear the least threatening of the minority group, waiting for the internal cracks within each majority to lead to a full fracture, "moving the heat" away from her as she stated. That strikes me as a player who has correctly evaluated the situation and who has stayed a step ahead of everyone else.

Yes, there were definitely some weak moments: she did have a few breakdowns, and she was saved by the kidnapping twist. Phoebe definitely had her beat then, but Kristie was able to recover from the "I didn't know about the idol" fiasco and played on the good natures of Kate and Conner to cast herself as less shady than Phoebe.

Her moves in Fia Fia made sense. She knew that her strongest allegiance was to her former Aganoa tribe mates, who weren't making big moves themselves, so the heat she could have taken at Final Tribal for not making big moves was less scalding as it would have been against someone like JL. It was risky to bank on Lee and El, but they had brilliantly made themselves part of the inner core of the old Saanapu tribe. And at the end, promise or no promise, it was wise to take Lee, who clearly would be less able or willing to turn the heat on Kristie.

Kristie's game was one of high risk but high reward. She may not have been the very best player of the 24, but she has to be up there. Seeing her overcome her clear struggles with anxiety and her social awkwardness, last 55 days with no rewards, muster the strength to outlast two amazing physical threats in that epic immunity challenge, and absolutely blitz that final tribal council was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen on TV.

...wow!... ^^^^... what a brilliant post!... that was epic... I so agree with you on this about Kristie... you nailed it on all levels MoonbeamLevels... well done... that post was a pleasure to read for me because it summed up perfectly what I thought about Kristie and her gameplay... it felt like you were channeling my exact thoughts lol!... again... well done!... cheers.

...wow!... ^^^^... what a brilliant post!... that was epic... I so agree with you on this about Kristie... you nailed it on all levels MoonbeamLevels... well done... that post was a pleasure to read for me because it summed up perfectly what I thought about Kristie and her gameplay... it felt like you were channeling my exact thoughts lol!... again... well done!... cheers.

Thank you! You are too kind.

I'm a relative newbie to Survivor as well, having only started watching around 6 years ago, but I have seen around 10 seasons and have seen that there are diverse ways to play the game, and adjusting your game to different contexts is part of it.

This is the final immunity challenge from the very first season that was adapted for the Australian version. Note that the Aussie version is far more difficult with them having to have both on different length stumps and being soaked by waves through the entire challenge in a far more scenic and dramatic location. Reality TV has come a long way from its origins in its presentation, thats for certain.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v1272389qcWAdKXQ

Just compare the two and decide for yourselves...which was more difficult and dramatic? And this one lasts only just over 4 hours.

It's 2015/16- years of woman power in Hollywood. Every tv show is following the trend. Look at game of thrones, they killed or cut the dick off every Male and the only one left with a set of balls is a midget.

Potential spoiler if you haven't seen this season of US Survivor yet:

US Survivor has voted off a woman every week except when one was saved by an idol that someone else played for her. After this season I'm pretty unhappy with the US season.

When will Australian Survivor be back?A year from now? I will be waiting!!

I promise I'll shut up about Kristie soon (ok, maybe not :p). ...

Yes yes yes yes YES! So true.

Never shut up!

Watching the US Survivor this season Michaela is making the season. Absolutely zilch social skills though lol but an absolute challenge beast.

both Michaela and Zeke are on next season as well...doesnt mean they win though

even as they ostracised her.

But was she ostracised? She seemed to say she just wanted to play alone, a very dangerous thing to do. The fact that she didn't do well at challenges made her seem less of a threat. I really don't think some of those things were planned by her though, it's just how it was. I think she was pleading at the end because not getting to the end would have made her look quite silly in light of her decision at tribal beforehand.

Seeing her overcome her clear struggles with anxiety and her social awkwardness, last 55 days with no rewards, muster the strength to outlast two amazing physical threats in that epic immunity challenge, and absolutely blitz that final tribal council was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen on TV.

I know they tried to push a message at the end like American shows often do too. But I'm just interested in the game really, I don't think a Survivor storyline necessarily relates to real life which can be rather more complex. I don't hate Kristy at all, I normally like the oddball types who are up against it, like David on the US version this latest season for instance. But I don't think wrapping it all up as a perfect storyline and gameplay works. Looking back her rather confident (to put it mildly) confessionals pointed to her winning, though it didn't add to the humble underdog persona either.

But was she ostracised? She seemed to say she just wanted to play alone, a very dangerous thing to do. The fact that she didn't do well at challenges made her seem less of a threat. I really don't think some of those things were planned by her though, it's just how it was. I think she was pleading at the end because not getting to the end would have made her look quite silly in light of her decision at tribal beforehand.

I said Kylie was ostracised, not Kristie. They are different!

Back