Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 26 FINALE Discussion

Also final challenges are normally more than simply another endurance challenge aren't they? That's what I'm used to in the US one. So if they had followed that and had them having to scramble about quickly over obstacles to collect things or throw stuff or solve a puzzle Kristie may have been even more up against it (like she was in the penultimate challenge where she was last).

...I have to be honest here... I truly believe that Kristie didn't quite 'throw' every challenge that she had been in all the way through this season but I don't think she minded at all if she lost them all... until the last one... by not winning any she remained in the background and was not seen as a threat to anyone... in fact... it seemed as if people forgot that she was even in the game until towards the end where her votes started to count because of her blending so well into the jungle... even when she 'accidentally' won the 'letters from home' challenge she handed it over to Matt just so that she was still not seen as a threat in my opinion...

...a few people have said in the media and on websites that she was talking shit at the final show and was twisting around the facts at how it all played out and that she twisted her 'game play strategy' around the facts of what happened to make it sound better for herself to the Jury but I'm not so sure... whereas we were all saying "why the hell did she vote out such and such and keep in so and so?"... (myself being one of those people)... I really believe now in hindsight that she was way ahead a lot of us because of her being such a devoted fan of Survivor that she had her gameplan mapped out before she even went in there to be honest... I mean... having "watched it since she was 8 years old" I think that she knew well ahead of time what she was going to do if she ever got onto the show somehow...

...yes she did take a risk in 'throwing' all of the previous challenges to save all of her mental and physical strength for the final challenge but she was clever enough to realise that both El and Lee had worn their bodies out in trying to win each and every other challenge on the way... she would've known that Lee's knees were letting him down towards the end before the challenge and that El's strength was just about sapped out (which was proved when she fell first) and would've been hoping that yes... maybe physically they both may had beaten her in a racing and strength challenge but would've caught up and won the puzzle part of it in the end because both Lee and El are not quite the most clever people when having to use their brains (this was quite evident in that 'Family Feud' episode that I watched on Sunday night) whereas Kristie was...

...as it turned out Kristie must have been in Blue Heaven when they turned up and saw what kind of challenge that it was... no running... no puzzle... just pure grim determination and stamina which both Lee and El were at the end of because of trying to win every other challenge... she knew that it was all or nothing in that last challenge... as Melore said above...

She took up yoga in preparation for going on Survivor, I read somewhere. People seem to think yoga is just about being flexible? It's made me very strong in surprising ways, and I am lame at it! You could see her using her balance skills to hold very extreme opposing positions to stretch the muscles out, while Lee was basically stuck in the one leaning forward position toughing it out. Both in great pain.

...that pre-show preparation helped prove to me that she probably pre-planned 'not to win' those challenges all the way through the series... and with her 'pleading' ploy at the end (even though Lee probably never heard a single word she said) that was a stroke of genius as far as she was concerned... she gave it her all... she won it... Lee never stepped down... he fell down... she was the worthy winner in the end even if she wasn't the most entertaining all through the series but hey... all of those 'entertaining' ones such as Des/Evan/Rohan/Craig/Conner/Phoebe and Nick (just to mention a few for me personally) went out pretty quick fast because the clique felt so threatened by them.. Kristie made sure that she wasn't 'entertaining'... that showed to me that she was smarter than all of them in a lot of ways... all kudos go to Kristie alone in my books... her gameplay and strategies (even though they didn't make any sense whatsoever to us and mostly relied on pure blind luck) were in the end brilliant regardless of whether being planned out or not... all credit to Kristie for winning it... just saying... cheers.:thumbsup::)

Kristie made sure that she wasn't 'entertaining'... that showed to me that she was smarter than all of them in a lot of ways...
As she observed at final Tribal Council, anyone who had stuck their neck out had had their head chopped off. It was far too risky a strategy to be making bold moves. Considering how different that was from the US version she'd learnt from, she adapted quickly. Kudos to her indeed.

Having said that, I hope in the next season people try harder (and smarter) than most of those who made the moves and got eliminated this time around.

As she observed at final Tribal Council, anyone who had stuck their neck out had had their head chopped off. It was far too risky a strategy to be making bold moves. Considering how different that was from the US version she'd learnt from, she adapted quickly. Kudos to her indeed.

Having said that, I hope in the next season people try harder (and smarter) than most of those who made the moves and got eliminated this time around.

...I'd be content for them all to have actually watched the show before they go onto it at least lol!... AND to know how to at least build a fucking fire from scratch!... I mean seriously... get contestants that don't have an agent... JUST NORMAL PEOPLE FFS!... at least people like Des and Sue were 'normal' people among the very few... we need them ALL to be just 'normal people'... not people who are wannabe 'superstars' that are using the show as a springboard to launching their media and movie careers for instance...

...hey by the way timmydownawell...I noticed that it says "the strong 'SILENT' type" underneath your name in your Avatar... you might be but your puppet sure as hell isn't lol!... cheers.

...I'd be content for them all to have actually watched the show before they go onto it at least lol!... AND to know how to at least build a fucking fire from scratch!... I mean seriously... get contestants that don't have an agent... JUST NORMAL PEOPLE FFS!... at least people like Des and Sue were 'normal' people among the very few... we need them ALL to be just 'normal people'... not people who are wannabe 'superstars' that are using the show as a springboard to launching their media and movie careers for instance...

...hey by the way timmydownawell...I noticed that it says "the strong 'SILENT' type" underneath your name in your Avatar... you might be but your puppet sure as hell isn't lol!... cheers.

Well that's like wishing Channel Ten wouldn't cast promo models on Big Brother isn't it? But yes, always strive for fewer famewhores *cough*Sam*cough*Rohan*cough*

Actually on that note, on US Survivor:Fiji, all the contestants except for one was recruited for the show. And the one that did apply, quit or was medevaced. Interestingly as I was googling that I found this: Why CBS prefers recruits over applicants Note in particular point 2, which caused Nick to be much disliked and ultimately voted out.

And my little slogan is 100% ironic btw :D

Well that's like wishing Channel Ten wouldn't cast promo models on Big Brother isn't it? But yes, always strive for fewer famewhores *cough*Sam*cough*Rohan*cough*

Actually on that note, on US Survivor:Fiji, all the contestants except for one was recruited for the show. And the one that did apply, quit or was medevaced. Interestingly as I was googling that I found this: Why CBS prefers recruits over applicants Note in particular point 2, which caused Nick to be much disliked and ultimately voted out.

And my little slogan is 100% ironic btw :D

It's interesting that Kristie pretty much failed on point 3, She never gave good confessional, and didn't have a story arc, or wasn't willing to elaborate on it, until the final tribal council.

I'd still prefer a show full of Kristies than one made up of Sams, Els and Rohans though.

I concur that superfans are usually incredbly irritating, I didn't mind Nick in the end, but I never really liked Cochran, Rob Cesternino, or Stephen Fishbach.

It's interesting that Kristie pretty much failed on point 3, She never gave good confessional, and didn't have a story arc, or wasn't willing to elaborate on it, until the final tribal council.

I'd still prefer a show full of Kristies than one made up of Sams, Els and Rohans though.

I concur that superfans are usually incredbly irritating, I didn't mind Nick in the end, but I never really liked Cochran, Rob Cesternino, or Stephen Fishbach.
Agreed about Kristie. I din't mind Nick, Cochran, Rob or Stephen. But then I'm a dork too.

Quite liked this bit on that reddit:

They found Sabrina Thompson from One World when they were googling information on an applicant named Sabrina Thompson, but found the online profile of a different Sabrina Thompson and liked her better and contacted asking her to audition.

Would be devastating to be the original Sabrina Thompson if you were to learn that! That would suck, being supplanted by your namesake.

...^^^^... bwahahahahaha!... that is a brilliant statement and I soooooooo agree with you lol!... that made my day reading that!... cheers.

Maybe they should just add another question to the AU Survivor application form:

426. Do you know Tully?

427 Has Tully been lurking at any social events you have attended

...:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:... bwahahahahahaha!... stop it you two!... you're slaying me here!... funny funny funny!... I wonder if 'Tullyitis' is a credited disease or not?... cheers.

I think Kristie did have a storyline, she was meant to be an underdog, and someone who managed to keep under the radar on the whole. And I don't agree that she wasn't meant to be entertaining, she was the oddball who went far. Unlike others, say Des or Kat. I just wish she was as proactive as she said she was.

The reason that big gameplayers were looked down on was more because some thought they were there competing for 'most honest person'. And yet Kristie did push herself as being a big gameplayer in the confessionals and the final speech, that was her whole pitch. Of course you can't really take people's words at face value in Survivor, but that's part of the game as well. The problem was the let's pretend to be most honest plan looked the most ridiculous in context.

Kristie's begging at the challenge did sound desperate to me, whatever truth there was in what she said it was her last throw of the dice. She must have put all her last energy into the plea, I really don't think she could think up a clever plan to undermine Lee when she was virtually out of energy. That would have been superhuman.

Of course throwing challenges can sometimes be an option, if you are safe. When she was more in danger she most likely tried, she would have been an idiot not to.

I've grown to like big characters on reality shows. I think there were some in this Survivor who were characters rather than just 'normal' people. The ones not that interested in playing the game, or who were going under the radar weren't so interesting to me. Some awoke late in the day, like Sue, Kate, JL, but it was so late to be pointless. Some could be quiet as they weren't big targets. Some like Kylie, JL, and Kristie arguably didn't play up to their potential there.

I finally watched Family Feud. Could not understand why "flowers" was not one of the top 8 answers (something you buy to put in water). It was the first thing I thought of and assumed that it would be the top answer.

Sam is an idiot. But Conner was not far behind.

I finally watched Family Feud. Could not understand why "flowers" was not one of the top 8 answers (something you buy to put in water). It was the first thing I thought of and assumed that it would be the top answer.

Sam is an idiot. But Conner was not far behind.

Phoebe was certainly no mastermind!!! (I thought of her fans here, hahahaha.) I think your brain goes to water in the situation.

I don't know if you heard the RHAP podcast of the finale with Nick but it was very interesting. Basically Nick said that if Kristie was up against El, El would have won hands down and that El would have also won against Lee. He was really determined not to give Lee any votes because he didn't want him to set a precedent of someone not playing strategically to win.

That's quiite true - the winner of the first series of a reality show does somewhat set the tone.

Back