Skip to main content

Your favourite recipe

@Winterbourne ...had a taste tester approve!:thumbsup: (not me.. I can't eat tomato) I will now fridge it until it's needed for dinner and will take a pic once it's plated.

btw, as a compliment to such a thick, rich sauce, try this.

Gremolada

grated zest of a lemon
chopped garlic
chopped fresh parsley

Mix these together and put in a little bowl with a little spoon on the middle of the table. Spoon it on top of your sauce when grating on soe parmessan, adding fresh black pepper etc. Cuts right through. Very zesty.

Gremolada

grated zest of a lemon
chopped garlic
chopped fresh parsley

Mix these together and put in a little bowl with a little spoon on the middle of the table. Spoon it on top of your sauce when grating on soe parmessan, adding fresh black pepper etc. Cuts right through. Very zesty.
I'll be trying your bolognaise recipe tomorrow, my mouth has been watering ever since you mentioned the "rissole" part!

Gremolada

grated zest of a lemon
chopped garlic
chopped fresh parsley

TOO LATE! Girls returned from NOVA and just wanted to eat. Youngest Miss likes that crappy sprinkle on Kraft Parm..:meh:...(as you can see) but here it is regardless. I served it with linguine.

35874ae7-ef21-4d6a-af93-a87d65d83f5a_zpsba77fcf0.jpg

THEY LOVED IT!!!!:joyful: Ty so much. That recipe is definitely a keeper.;)

Will give the Gremolada a go next time around.:biggrin:

@jarrah

Firstly, a link to a book that may interest you. This recipe and many others are in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Vegan...54818488&sr=8-1&keywords=artisan+vegan+cheese

Vegan brie

Prep: 9 minutes
Soak: 3 hours
Cook: 7 minutes
Rest: 2 days, 16 hours
Servings: about 15: approx 15 cm round is the end result.(6 inches)

Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours then drained
1 cup water
½ cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
½ cup refined coconut oil
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons tapioca flour or starch
1 teaspoon agar agar powder or flakes

Method:

1. Combine cashews, water, yogurt, coconut oil, nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender; process until smooth. Transfer mixture into a large bowl, cover with a towel. Let sit at room temperature, 24-36 hours.

2. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan. Whisk in tapioca flour and agar; heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until mixture is thick and pulls away from the side of the pan, about 5 minutes.

3. Line a 15cm (6-inch) cake pan with a large sheet (large enough to fold over the cheese an cover) of damp cheesecloth and pour in hot cheese mixture. Spread mixture evenly; cover with overlapping cheesecloth. Let cool in refrigerator until firm, 4 hours. The inside will still be very soft, but firm.

4. Remove cheesecloth. Wet hands; sprinkle them with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Rub wet salt over cheese. Place cheese on a wire rack; let sit in a cool corner, for 24 hours. Flip cheese over; let rest until it appears dry, 12 hours. Wrap in wax paper, or baking paper. It will store well like that in the fridge for 2 weeks. For longer storage, freeze in a sealed plastic bag. (will freeze well and retain its integrity for 3 months).

Hope you like it. It tastes like the real deal.:thumbsup: I have several vegan friends and they tend to miss out when nibbles are on offer, so I make this and also a really good mushroom pate for them. :)

PS. If you don't like soy yogurt, you can substitute it with coconut yoghurt.

@Inigo Montoya This is a nice light vegetarian dish which could be served as a main, with a couple of whole Large field or Swiss Brown BBQ'd Mushrooms. If the GF is a Pescatarian, with her seafood of choice. (It works especially well with Bugs I am told)

Baby Spinach, Pear and Walnut Salad.

Ingredients

4 cups Baby Spinach Leaves - washed off.

2 ripe pears - even Nashi Pears if you like them (IMO they are fab in this salad) cored and cut into wedges.

150g Roughly Chopped Walnuts

200g of Greek Feta - cut into 1cm cubes

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or verjuice)

2 teaspoons of honey

Method

In a large salad bowl, place the spinach. Scatter the pear wedges and walnuts on top as well as the feta chunks.

In a small bowl, whisk the Oil, White Wine Vinegar and Honey until well combined.

Pour over salad, toss gently and serve!

Serves 4.

--------------------------------------

If you are serving it with say... BBQd Prawns, Shrimp, Bugs, Lobster, even popping the pear wedges onto caramelise while your seafood is cooking is a lovely little difference! However, if you choose to caramelise the pears, don't add them until you are ready to serve the salad, just before it hits the table, as the spinach will wilt.

A recipe I love to cook, but cannot eat. I made it up as I went along one day, because of ingredients I had on hand.

My family and also guests just LOVE this! I use cuttlefish rather than squid, as it has an excellent texture and is far more giving than squid but you can use squid if preferred.

Also, the fresher the ingredients, the better and lighter flavour it has. Of course if you only have dried herbs and/or canned cherry tomatoes, that's ok.

Tomato Chilli Seafood Pasta.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon of butter

1 tablespoon good olive oil.

250G Cuttlefish- cut into strips, or into 3cm x 3cm squares and scored. ( if you choose to use squares, the scoring helps them curl)

250G Green Prawns - deheaded and deveined

8-12 scallops- roe on or off, your choice.

1 400g punnet Medley Tomatoes or if you cannot get those a punnet of cherry or grape tomatoes are fine.( I like the medley for colour mainly)- halved.

1/2 cup dry white wine ( a good one and serve the same wine you are cooking with)

2 cloves garlic - smashed and finely chopped

1 handful of baby basil leaves - torn

1 tablespoon fresh lemon thyme ( leaves from approx 5 branches) - if you only have standard thyme, then add the zest of one lemon.

1 good handful of flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped.

1 fresh red chili - de-seeded and chopped - or a heaped teaspoon of dried chili flakes.

500G of long, flat pasta of your choice: papadelle,linguine, fettucine. (It's great with spinach linguine)FRESH not DRIED.

Salt and pepper to taste. (cracked pepper and sea or rock salt)

Method:

Put water onto boil for the pasta.

Melt butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in large heavy based pan...even a paella pan. (I use my double handled french roaster)

Flash seafood only for a little colouration. Remove and set aside.

To pan, add garlic,chili and also wine and deglaze.

Add tomatoes and cook off until they start to soften a little, fold gently so as not to break the tomatoes too much.

Add lemon thyme (or thyme and lemon zest) and stir

When the water has boiled for pasta add and cook for determined time ( 5-7mins)

3 or so mins into the pasta cooking, add flashed seafood. crack salt and pepper to taste.

When pasta is al dente' drain off and add to the seafood/tomato mix...gently fold through.

Finally, add the torn basil leaves and parsley and fold through until they wilt a little.

Serve up in individual pasta bowls or in a huge bowl for "family style" dining.

Serve with crusty bread and green salad and a delicious white wine!

Enjoy!

@jarrah

Firstly, a link to a book that may interest you. This recipe and many others are in it.

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Vegan-Cheese-Miyoko-Schinner/dp/1570672830/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354818488&sr=8-1&keywords=artisan vegan cheese

Vegan brie

Prep: 9 minutes
Soak: 3 hours
Cook: 7 minutes
Rest: 2 days, 16 hours
Servings: about 15: approx 15 cm round is the end result.(6 inches)

Ingredients:
1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours then drained
1 cup water
½ cup plain unsweetened soy yogurt
½ cup refined coconut oil
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
1 ¼ teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons tapioca flour or starch
1 teaspoon agar agar powder or flakes

Method:

1. Combine cashews, water, yogurt, coconut oil, nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon salt in a blender; process until smooth. Transfer mixture into a large bowl, cover with a towel. Let sit at room temperature, 24-36 hours.

2. Pour mixture into a medium saucepan. Whisk in tapioca flour and agar; heat over medium heat, stirring frequently. Cook until mixture is thick and pulls away from the side of the pan, about 5 minutes.

3. Line a 15cm (6-inch) cake pan with a large sheet (large enough to fold over the cheese an cover) of damp cheesecloth and pour in hot cheese mixture. Spread mixture evenly; cover with overlapping cheesecloth. Let cool in refrigerator until firm, 4 hours. The inside will still be very soft, but firm.

4. Remove cheesecloth. Wet hands; sprinkle them with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Rub wet salt over cheese. Place cheese on a wire rack; let sit in a cool corner, for 24 hours. Flip cheese over; let rest until it appears dry, 12 hours. Wrap in wax paper, or baking paper. It will store well like that in the fridge for 2 weeks. For longer storage, freeze in a sealed plastic bag. (will freeze well and retain its integrity for 3 months).

Hope you like it. It tastes like the real deal.:thumbsup: I have several vegan friends and they tend to miss out when nibbles are on offer, so I make this and also a really good mushroom pate for them. :)

PS. If you don't like soy yogurt, you can substitute it with coconut yoghurt.
That's brilliant! Thanks so much for doing this , I'm definitely gonna have a go (once I find tapioca flour). The book is looking kinda hopeful too; if I can incorporate more vegan foods gradually, I may even achieve my goal one day :)

That's brilliant! Thanks so much for doing this , I'm definitely gonna have a go (once I find tapioca flour). The book is looking kinda hopeful too; if I can incorporate more vegan foods gradually, I may even achieve my goal one day :)

Tapioca flour is interchangeable with arrowroot, and is available in any baking aisle.;) Good luck with it. It is seriously...yum.:)

@Sweetgeek ... I am going to make your Moroccan Chicken Salad for dinner Friday night. What quantity of tenderloins do you suggest for a family of 4?

@Sweetgeek ... I am going to make your Moroccan Chicken Salad for dinner Friday night. What quantity of tenderloins do you suggest for a family of 4?
I use 1 pack from woolworths normally between hubby and I and he has some left over for work the next day. about 3-4 pieces a serving is plenty for me, more than enough, but you may want more. try 2 packs I think for you guys.

I use 1 pack from woolworths normally between hubby and I and he has some left over for work the next day. about 3-4 pieces a serving is plenty for me, more than enough, but you may want more. try 2 packs I think for you guys.

TY! I will get 16 from the Deli. :thumbsup: If any are left over, would probably be good in a pita pocket for lunch the next day.:biggrin:

@Inigo Montoya ...

I am trying to keep it summery. :) Another good salad to have that everyone can eat.

Minimex Salad

Ingredients for salad:
Half Head Cauliflower
Large Broccoli head.
1 Zucchini
1/2 red onion
1/2 red capsicum
1 stick celery
1 medium carrot
140g corn kernels (or if using fresh, kernels from one cob)
200g red kidney beans - well drained.
Torn coriander leaves (optional)

Ingredients for vinaigrette:
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/2 cup chili infused extra vigin olive oil
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 tsp sugar
sea salt and black pepper to taste. ( I usually start off with a good 3 grinds of pepper and a pinch of sea salt)
A squeeze of lemon or lime

Method:
My gauge is to make every piece uniform, so my guide to size is a corn kernel.
Finely chop the capsicum, onion, carrot, celery and zucchini and place in a bowl.
Pick off uniform florets of cauliflower and broccoli. Add to bowl.
Add canned or shaved corn kernels to the other vegies. Mix well and set aside, covered in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
Make your vinaigrette - easy method:
Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a medium sized jar. Pop on lid and shake, shake shake until well combined. Taste to see if your palate wants more salt, pepper or sugar for balance.
Refrigerate vinaigrette also until ready to serve.
When ready, add the vinaigrette to the vegetable mix and stir through. Then just before serving, add the kidney beans and coriander and fold through gently.

The above salad is awesome for a summer bbq, no matter what protein is on the grill! Also is a lovely side if having Mexican fare and is a great topping with some mashed avocado if you want to make tiny "finger food" sized tortillas.

Below is a pic of it before the beans and coriander are added.

Chicken schnitzels

If you have never made your own chicken schnitzels, I promise they are ten times better than bought ones!
Ratios of the flour/breadcrumbs/egg depends on how many schnitzels you end up with, just add more as needed

Ingredients
-2x chicken breast fillets
-half a packet of Panko breadcrumbs
-1 cup of flour (can be plain or self-raising, both have worked for me)
-lemon zest-1 lemon
-1 egg, beaten
-salt/pepper

Method-
Take 3 bowls and put the egg in one, flour in another and the bread crumbs in the last bowl. Put the lemon rind into the bread crumb bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix together.

Next, take your chicken breasts and slice them into schnitzels. I just hold the breast, look at it side on and place my knife depending on how thick I want them and cut horizontally , I usually get 3 or 4 to each breast.

The next step is coating them. Using your left hand, grab each schnitzel and coat it in the flour and then the egg. Then, still using your left hand, place it into the bread crumb bowl. With your right hand grab the crumbs and put them onto the top side and pat them into the chicken. Then turn over and repeat with other side. (Separating your hands makes less messy fingers)

Once all the schnitzels are coated, put some oil (I use olive oil, I think some others are better for frying though) into your pan and fill up until it would be half way up the schnitzels. Turn onto med-high heat and once heated, put the chicken in in batches, flipping once until both sides are golden and cooked through.

I usually serve it with sweet potato mash, honey carrots and some corn. Yum!

You can tweak the recipe by adding Parmesan/other herbs any way you like.

Chicken schnitzels

If you have never made your own chicken schnitzels, I promise they are ten times better than bought ones!
Ratios of the flour/breadcrumbs/egg depends on how many schnitzels you end up with, just add more as needed

Ingredients
-2x chicken breast fillets
-half a packet of Panko breadcrumbs
-1 cup of flour (can be plain or self-raising, both have worked for me)
-lemon zest-1 lemon
-1 egg, beaten
-salt/pepper

Method-
Take 3 bowls and put the egg in one, flour in another and the bread crumbs in the last bowl. Put the lemon rind into the bread crumb bowl, add a pinch of salt and pepper and mix together.

Next, take your chicken breasts and slice them into schnitzels. I just hold the breast, look at it side on and place my knife depending on how thick I want them and cut horizontally , I usually get 3 or 4 to each breast.

The next step is coating them. Using your left hand, grab each schnitzel and coat it in the flour and then the egg. Then, still using your left hand, place it into the bread crumb bowl. With your right hand grab the crumbs and put them onto the top side and pat them into the chicken. Then turn over and repeat with other side. (Separating your hands makes less messy fingers)

Once all the schnitzels are coated, put some oil (I use olive oil, I think some others are better for frying though) into your pan and fill up until it would be half way up the schnitzels. Turn onto med-high heat and once heated, put the chicken in in batches, flipping once until both sides are golden and cooked through.

I usually serve it with sweet potato mash, honey carrots and some corn. Yum!

You can tweak the recipe by adding Parmesan/other herbs any way you like.

I love panko crumbing over that sawdust style stuff. I will give these a go. Thank you!:)

@Sweetgeek ..TY for that Moroccan Salad recipe! It was MOR - ROCKIN':tongue:

Back