Skip to main content

WTF

169899684_6250068437650_1682229286598362089_n.jpg

Was Denise on it? I think they omitted her from an earlier commemoration.

To be honest I don’t think it’s entirely fair that they get remembered for the ”blackface” moment. It just wasn’t commonly understood that way in Australia at the time and comedians playing characters in brown/black makeup was fairly routine on Australian TV. The idea that HHIS was particularly remarkable regarding this sort of humour based on a single Red Faces act is a bit much. But it certainly lent weight to the feeling the show was stuck in an increasingly dated brand of comedy.

The ratings explanation in that article is a little bit frustrating. I’m certain 7 were not expecting to rate highly in the younger demos when this was a 50th anniversary for a show that hasn’t been on TV since 1999 (and a bit it 2009/10) 🤦🏽‍♂️

Ha! I'm just glad that it rated better than the channel 9 show "The Block" because channel 9 supposedly didn't want to know about this 50 year anniversary special. I hear it also rated better than channel 10's "Celebrity Masterchef"...lol. Even back then in 2009 and 2010 as you mentioned I think they put Hey Hey up against Masterchef and I think it just slightly rated better than MC even back then? lol.

Ha! I'm just glad that it rated better than the channel 9 show "The Block" because channel 9 supposedly didn't want to know about this 50 year anniversary special. I hear it also rated better than channel 10's "Celebrity Masterchef"...lol. Even back then in 2009 and 2010 as you mentioned I think they put Hey Hey up against Masterchef and I think it just slightly rated better than MC even back then? lol.
I thought it was because Darryl was back on 7 doing DWTS. but yeah it certainly rated well, in total people it beat the block but not in the key demographics, and I don’t think 7 would have expected it too.

Reactions: Kaz
I thought it was because Darryl was back on 7 doing DWTS. but yeah it certainly rated well, in total people it beat the block but not in the key demographics, and I don’t think 7 would have expected it too.

It was because he is on 7.

Most people watching were in the 55+ age bracket. Not really the demographics the sponsors want.

The other night I watched an episode of the new show "Snackmasters" on channel 9 which basically seems like a cooking competition that is sponsored by some of the big food companies here in Australia. Great advertising and promotion for all their food products just in time for summer and the Christmas - New Year holiday period.

Anyway it would seem that when they were talking about the history of "Cadbury" chocolate here in Australia they seem to have "forgotten" deliberately it would seem that the "Cherry Ripe" yes was most likely a truly Australian invention but it was not invented by the current "Cadbury" but by the old "Macrobertson's" confectionary company. Sorry but if they are going to rant on about the history of "Cadbury" in Australia then at least tell the truth as many people around that aren't all that young actually remember the true history of this company. I knew when I was watching the history of Cadbury and the Cherry Ripe that if they don't mention that it was invented by the "Macrobertson's" company then this show was dodgy. Yep it seems this show is dodgy alright.

I also do remember some years ago there was actually some great old original tv commercials on youtube featuring Macrobertson's chocolates and the Cherry Ripe and the Freddo Frog. These have all now disappeared from youtube altogether as I wanted to post them here and can't find them anywhere on the internet now. Quite possibly it might be the case that the owners of Cadbury "Mondelez International" from this news article a few years ago posted below may have something to do with anything "Macrobertson's" being removed from the internet. Anyway just thought i'd mention this to those who may not know the true history of the Cadbury "Cherry Ripe". Also the Cadbury "Freddo Frog" was also another invention by "Macroberton's" confectionary company. Cheers!

Last edited:
Back