big brother 2014

• YES

Votes: 114 78.1%
  • NO

Votes: 14 9.6%
  • undecided

Votes: 18 12.3%

• Total voters
taken down one notch from anything that's going to make the Prime Minister say "get this stupid programme off the air"

Keeping in mind the Prime Minister at the time was John Howard - a notoriously closed minded man who does not believe in refugee rights or same sex marriage, I'd say his opinion is void.

Keeping in mind the Prime Minister at the time was John Howard - a notoriously closed minded man who does not believe in refugee rights or same sex marriage, I'd say his opinion is void.

Sounds like MR Abbott......

I agree about Alex. No one is interested in the media spin/production of this series. It's such a shame. It's taken all the authenticity out of the concept and by continually putting famewhores/wannabes in the cast, takes all the reality out of "reality". I love the show and the concept but bring it back to the glory days of just watching people living in a house together. Uncut, Uplate - all access. Not just the highly edited and manipulated version that gets pumped out at the whim of the producers.
I was rewatching some old 2002 episodes and the contrast is actually ridiculous. sure, it's nowhere near as glossy as the channel 9 house, but the housemates are like a completely different species and the whole vibe is like apples and oranges. I think the format was corrupted in increments between 06 and this year so that non-diehards don't really notice but watch an episode of each and you realise that it's really only nominally the same franchise as then, and barely at that.

Terms and Conditions of Big Brother Voting are in themselves illustrative the shady things that can happen behind the scenes:

38. Southern Star reserve the right at its sole discretion to invalidate, discount or disqualify any
Votes (or individuals casting Votes):
d. That Southern Star or the Voting Service Provider consider to be manipulative,
unrepresentative, disproportionate, obscene or offensive.

^ just how exactly they are going to determine all this from a text msg with a name in it is beyond me

Also it should not be a family show. People shouldn't be complaining about the HMs being bad role models when they're not even supposed to be role models. And that partially addresses the over-editing problem: they wouldn't need to edit it as much if it wasn't censored and it wouldn't need to be censored if it was rated M/MA.

I do want it to return... but not in it's current format, which pretty much means not on Ch 9.

The lack of excitement has got nothing to do with the choice of housemates. I'm sure there is no end of things going on in the house this year that we would all be interested in. Fact is, we're just not going to see them. I actually think it has been very well cast this year... don't let the editing fool you. They're not boring housemates. Anything they do that is shocking, or interesting, or controversial... is going to be too shocking, interesting, and controversial for Ch 9. It would all be going on though.

Channel 10 pushed the envelope just a little too far, which was constantly putting the show at risk. It's gone from an almost R-Rated version of BB, to this Mary Poppins version. If it could come back closer to the way it was on Ch 10, but just taken down one notch from anything that's going to make the Prime Minister say "get this stupid programme off the air"... then we'd have a good show again.

Amen sister

I agree that his opinion is void... but there were a lot of people up in arms about BB at the time, and they were getting as loud and noticeable as the show itself. I was just giving an example there.

I'm all for a BB show that shows almost everything, and is controversial, offers live streaming etc... but if they push it just inches too far, the wowsers who want the show off the air are going to find the ammunition to win out at some point. (Which is the least of BB's problems so long as it's on Ch 9 lol)

Also it should not be a family show. People shouldn't be complaining about the HMs being bad role models when they're not even supposed to be role models. And that partially addresses the over-editing problem: they wouldn't need to edit it as much if it wasn't censored and it wouldn't need to be censored if it was rated M/MA.

I want it back. I want it back as a soap or as a social experiment. I love Big Brother in almost any form and even though *I* would choose a format that more closely resembles our original series, I have still enjoyed 2012 and 2013 for what it is.

The only thing I don't want is for it to turn into a pure strategy games show, closer to BBUS and it's survivor-esque feel.

But yes, as [MENTION=34851]BBfan-[/MENTION] points out. A more adult show. It rated 950k last night with an 8:45 start and we can't put that down simply to the AGT lead in, as it had higher overall viewers than AGT

I'm going to get in trouble for this.

No.

I don't think BB should come back next year.

It's been milked to the end of its life in Australia.

It's morphed too far from the original format.

And Alex shows no intention of bringing it back to its glory days. He's had two years to prove it but yet we're still watching his trashy kindergarten soap opera.

... I think the format was corrupted in increments between 06 and this year so that non-diehards don't really notice ....

No. Not in it's present corrupted form. Completely agree, Tim. Being constantly disappointed in what they're no longer doing makes me angry and sad.

Fix it, or F@*K OFF! ;)

I'm also surprised but I guess the teens that vote don't know or remember what the show used to be.

Ah well. Unless NINE or another network are prepared to take the REAL risks, I'm just not really interested anymore. :(

No. Not in it's present corrupted form. Completely agree, Tim. Being constantly disappointed in what they're no longer doing makes me angry and sad.

Fix it, or F@*K OFF! ;)

I'm also surprised but I guess the teens that vote don't know or remember what the show used to be.

Ah well. Unless NINE or another network are prepared to take the REAL risks, I'm just not really interested anymore. :(

This is all fair enough. But the current format is still rating! 950k last night and consistently high in the demos all season.

Last year I dropped out midway through and I reckon I'm pretty close to doing that again. One of these years I won't even bother starting. Throw a live stream into the mix and I'll be forever engaged.

I agree with Tim - if it can't be brought back close to the orignal format or close to it with live streaming it can't honestly be called Big Brother ... its so watered down now & I'm over being drip-fed nonsense updates

live streaming should be available ... if they can't manage 24/7 then things like showdown, mealtimes and special events like talent show etc should stream live and be advertised for certain times and be available to watch later in full via the OS

TV schedules should remain fixed throughout - none of this chopping and changing it around and definitely get it back on tv over the weekend - use GO if its going to mess up 9's scheduling of big events

bring back Online Diaries for the HM's to update at least once a week ...

show ALL of the goodbye messages in their entirety and leave them up so we can review them

Cut out this Club Med we're watching ... quit choosing people who are from acting/modelling background ... stop with the weekly schedule that housemates can set their clock by ("today is Friday so we're going to get a party!") ... quit choosing people with convenient birthdays so they can fit another party in just to get some extra update material.

Why do they think their choice of HM's is only going to become interesting if fuelled by alcohol? What idea are they trying to reinforce with that?

Employ people with a real interest in producing online content that will fuel die-hard fans and not keep giving us updates of snoring, kookaburras & paint drying (ok so that last one hasn't been shown yet - but I'm sure its coming at this rate!!!)

Put the HM's through the wringer - through tasks that will challenge their belief systems, their friendships and alliances ... mix them up ... surprise them! They are so relaxed and complacent this year - they're on holiday!! That is NOT Big Brother!!

Noone should be able to arrive at the BB house knowing "we should get intruders this week" "its bound to be a double this week" ... change things up dramatically ... keep them guessing!

Bring back some sort of real punishment system for breaking the rules ... Deprive them of staples ... makes things they want unavailable ... make them choose something that belongs to another HM as a forfeit if they break the rules ... so its not just them that takes the punishment so it has impact on others as well as themselves ...

remember when toilet paper used to become an issue? and coffee?

We want the real deal back!!

One other thing on this note... the current Prime Minister is also a notoriously closed minded man who does not believe in refugee rights or same sex marriage. He hasn't specifically been asked for his opinion on turkey slapping incidents, but I'm sure I can guess.

The more things change, the more they stay the same *sigh*

I'm in 2 different minds about it returning. This is the first season ever that I don't have a favourite to win and I think that's because of poor housemate selection as well as crappy formatting of the show and not letting us see enough of them to like them!

Off topic, but I've just come back from Europe and I'm trying to catch up...
Is late night feast still on?? And when??

Oh and totally agree with this! They're living in too much luxury! It's become a predictable holiday for them. They wouldn't complain about people 'playing the game' if big brother made them all play and fight for the win. At the moment they're just cruising through doing a whole lot of nothing :(

if we're going to continue with this spoon-fed drip-feed I'd like to see it time and date stamped right from the start ... so that we can at least try to make sense of what's going on where & when

I agree with Tim - if it can't be brought back close to the orignal format or close to it with live streaming it can't honestly be called Big Brother ... its so watered down now & I'm over being drip-fed nonsense updates

live streaming should be available ... if they can't manage 24/7 then things like showdown, mealtimes and special events like talent show etc should stream live and be advertised for certain times and be available to watch later in full via the OS

TV schedules should remain fixed throughout - none of this chopping and changing it around and definitely get it back on tv over the weekend - use GO if its going to mess up 9's scheduling of big events

bring back Online Diaries for the HM's to update at least once a week ...

show ALL of the goodbye messages in their entirety and leave them up so we can review them

Cut out this Club Med we're watching ... quit choosing people who are from acting/modelling background ... stop with the weekly schedule that housemates can set their clock by ("today is Friday so we're going to get a party!") ... quit choosing people with convenient birthdays so they can fit another party in just to get some extra update material.

Why do they think their choice of HM's is only going to become interesting if fuelled by alcohol? What idea are they trying to reinforce with that?

Employ people with a real interest in producing online content that will fuel die-hard fans and not keep giving us updates of snoring, kookaburras & paint drying (ok so that last one hasn't been shown yet - but I'm sure its coming at this rate!!!)

Put the HM's through the wringer - through tasks that will challenge their belief systems, their friendships and alliances ... mix them up ... surprise them! They are so relaxed and complacent this year - they're on holiday!! That is NOT Big Brother!!

Noone should be able to arrive at the BB house knowing "we should get intruders this week" "its bound to be a double this week" ... change things up dramatically ... keep them guessing!

Bring back some sort of real punishment system for breaking the rules ... Deprive them of staples ... makes things they want unavailable ... make them choose something that belongs to another HM as a forfeit if they break the rules ... so its not just them that takes the punishment so it has impact on others as well as themselves ...

remember when toilet paper used to become an issue? and coffee?

We want the real deal back!!

Great post. Couldn't agree more.

Back