Skip to main content

Why is "Thick" an appropriate term to call anyone?

Blue or Bluey is a really old-fashioned Aussie nickname for someone with red hair, going back easily 100+ years. It was told to me many years ago (by an old guy named Bluey, whose dad was also Bluey) that it comes from the idea that redheads can be a bit firey and don’t mind starting a blue/fight. Not sure how true that is, but I wasn’t gonna risk it, haha. I quite like the nickname, you don’t tend to hear it as much in the younger generations now though.
As I said, unimaginitve.
Another teammate was called "beers" cos shock horror, his surname was beverage.
I enjoyed my footy but gaining iq or knowledge was not a gain or purpose.

The eternal question. If one doesnt feel bullied with all available facts, actions felt first hand and, has said nothing of such and being directly involved in said allegations of bullying with full cognisicance, does it exist except in the minds of viewers with pre-conceived ideas and torches at the ready to await the slightest hint?
Ill probably slide with the voice of the alleged victim who is in full knowledge of how it all transpired rather than rely on show production edits and opinions for outsiders to make opinions. If after the fact, the bullied speaks volumes about it, thats indisputable. Until then, its fodder to prop up a shows popularity and ratings. Not a revelatory device. Especiallly now in times of social media being wrongly accorded and recognised as a sensible evaluation.

Personally I have not used the words 'bully' or 'bullying' in regards to this topic.

I think it’s possible to acknowledge that while Dan and Mat are definitely entitled and have a bit of a superiority complex regarding Kieran, he came up with the nickname himself and people are just using it as an excuse to hate on them. There are plenty of valid reasons to dislike Dan and Mat but it’s not a good look to be grasping at straws with this one.

To older generations 'thick' is very much a synonym for 'stupid'.
Whether Kieran 'gave' it to them or not (and I did hear him say "I'm just a thick boy" or words to that effect), it's still not an appropriate nickname for someone else to use. It is derogatory rather than affectionate.
Today I learned I am “the older generation” 😩😭

I don’t mind that Kieran gave himself the nickname, but I’d personally probably feel uncomfortable calling him that because of the way us old folks relate it to someone being stupid. It wouldn’t feel affectionate to me either. But if the younger kids want to call him that I wouldn’t shake my walking stick at them 😌

Today I learned I am “the older generation” 😩😭

I don’t mind that Kieran gave himself the nickname, but I’d personally probably feel uncomfortable calling him that because of the way us old folks relate it to someone being stupid. It wouldn’t feel affectionate to me either. But if the younger kids want to call him that I wouldn’t shake my walking stick at them 😌
Kieran made up the nickname to appear stupid, so I guess that’s the meaning they were going for. Again, that is explained in the diary room entry.

Kieran has been doing lives on Tik Tok over the past couple of days and he just keeps saying how he doesn't understand the comments that he was bullied, he doesn't feel he was and reckons Mat and Dan were lovely blokes.

It’s interesting Isn’t it, I mean people don’t usually give themselves nicknames, it usually always comes from others. I wonder if he never had a nickname growing up? I thought them calling him Kizza was a good one. Hmmm I wonder if he picked that Thick/Thicc nickname knowing some viewers would miss that diary room entry, and might jump to it being a bullying thing from Dan and Mat, to make, at least some of, the viewing public align more with Kieran and less with those two? Strategy? Kieran’s a pretty smart guy, regardless of this character he’s portraying, nothing would surprise me.

I don't think you understand what I wrote. If someone is self-depreciating about their own weight, it doesn't always mean that person is okay with other people commenting on their weight in the same way.

How does this conflict with your opinion?
My mistake, sorry I misread what you said. I was on some heavy pain meds and didn't have my glasses either. I thought you said something else.

Wait until y’all find out the nickname of the host of The Footy Show.

They’re all mates, no one is ‘bullying’ eachother. Stop looking at reasons to get worked up about Dan and Mat just because you don’t like them, it’s not that deep.

Hmmm, popped back into the forums after asking this question.
So if Keiran gave the name to himself, some people think its OK?
But its sort of self deprecation gone wrong.
I think its just a bit tone deaf to allocate names and think that it is cool. Especially when those names have past meaning which is negative.
I didn't really say bully, but in my mind that it is how "the Bromance" have subtly intimidated people with their CIS white male privilege.

Ick. Sophie for the win.

Back