Skip to main content

Why is "Thick" an appropriate term to call anyone?

Tempest

Just a question, as we are now in a culture that makes people answer for themselves.
How is this... a good nickname?
Because it seems to me as a bully boy taunt aimed to hurt.
Opinions?

Kieran gave them the nickname. You can see his diary room video explaining it during the task where he worked with Mat, when they were working in pairs. I don’t have lots of babdwidth right at the minute but could get someone to point the times..

I was actually thinking about starting a thread to explain this as so many are confused about the nickname.

OK. If that's the case I guess some people could accept it.
I just think it's vile. And still a bully boy tactic. But everyone is allowed their opinions yes?

To older generations 'thick' is very much a synonym for 'stupid'.
Whether Kieran 'gave' it to them or not (and I did hear him say "I'm just a thick boy" or words to that effect), it's still not an appropriate nickname for someone else to use. It is derogatory rather than affectionate.

Whether Kieran 'gave' it to them or not (and I did hear him say "I'm just a thick boy" (or words to that effect), it's still not an appropriate nickname for someone else to use. It is derogatory rather than affectionate.

There's been far worse things said about Kieran on this forum imo. Besides, he gave it to himself.

Whether Kieran 'gave' it to them or not (and I did hear him say "I'm just a thick boy" or words to that effect), it's still not an appropriate nickname for someone else to use. It is derogatory rather than affectionate.
I just explained where you can find KIERAN explaining it in the episode. If you doubt it, please go watch yourself... And share the time in the video so others can see it too as lots of people blinked & missed it. I blinked on the forst view & missed it myself.

Ok. so I managed to take a photo of it from DVR recording at the Air BNB Im staying at. I would pinpoint the episode and time but this place has limited internet.

For your viewing convenience

Attachments

• 7AB93BC4-1332-466B-940B-B4A41FE770B3.jpeg
    7AB93BC4-1332-466B-940B-B4A41FE770B3.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 26
Ok. so I managed to take a photo of it from DVR recording at the Air BNB Im staying at. I would pinpoint the episode and time but this place has limited internet.

For your viewing convenience

Thanks for the effort, but I heard it the first time, when I watched the actual episode.
My "whether he gave it to them or not" was not doubting anything, it was saying "no matter who came up with the name, I don't believe it's a very nice thing to call someone". Whether Keiran is ok with them calling him that doesn't change that.

I thought it was being used in the modern usage of the term to describe in a positive way a fuller figured person.

Thanks for the effort, but I heard it the first time, when I watched the actual episode.
My "whether he gave it to them or not" was not doubting anything, it was saying "no matter who came up with the name, I don't believe it's a very nice thing to call someone". Whether Keiran is ok with them calling him that doesn't change that.
Oh yes, I agree with that, I personally would not call him Thick even if he tried to make it a thing, it is degrading and not actually funny IMO..

Niceness is overrated imo.

Thick, fat, huge are all the same thing and coming from someone like Dan who was in a profession full of bullying you would think he would know better. It is not something I would want to be called or the person might end up with my fist on their chin. To me, it is totally bullying and Dan knew exactly what he was doing - And since he is the Alpha male of the house everyone follows his lead (so to speak).

Thick, fat, huge are all the same thing and coming from someone like Dan who was in a profession full of bullying you would think he would know better. It is not something I would want to be called or the person might end up with my fist on their chin. To me, it is totally bullying and Dan knew exactly what he was doing - And since he is the Alpha male of the house everyone follows his lead (so to speak).

Kieran made up that nickname.

Kieran made up that nickname.

Doesn't matter who made it up, usually, people who have a size issue have little self-esteem and when around a group like that get in calling themselves something before someone else does, and they sure as hell would have too.

Doesn't matter who made it up, usually, people who have a size issue have little self-esteem and when around a group like that get in calling themselves something before someone else does, and they sure as hell would have too.

Well if Kieran made it up it kind of does matter

Self-depreciation doesn't always mean the person is okay with others identifying them that way.
I am totally entitled to my own opinion and that is what I said. If you don't like what I said then go lay on the lounge or hide in the diary room. But I won't back down from my original comment.

I am totally entitled to my own opinion and that is what I said. If you don't like what I said then go lay on the lounge or hide in the diary room. But I won't back down from my original comment.

I don't think you understand what I wrote. If someone is self-depreciating about their own weight, it doesn't always mean that person is okay with other people commenting on their weight in the same way.

How does this conflict with your opinion?

Back