Skip to main content

Why is "Thick" an appropriate term to call anyone?

Its more than self-deprecation. Its a diffusion. Showing others that perceived labels wont hurt and thusly lose their power.
And an ability to laugh at oneself shows character and at the same time lessens the power of any other such alike gibes in the future.

I had never considered that "thick' referred to body type, simply because I've never heard it before and I'm not interested in keeping up with how young people talk today.
However, it makes even less sense to me than if it meant "stupid".
So when Kieran says "I'm just a thick boy", he's meaning "I'm just a fat boy"? And when Daniel and Matt call him "Thick" they are using a nickname based on his weight?
I don't see how anyone could think that was ok regardless of whose idea it was.

From experience, and Im not exactly saying this rings true on reality tv, but i had a nicname of "fatty" at the football club I played at.
I was 6 foot tall and 72 kg. I know in blokes culture nicnames given are more stupidly unimaginitive rather than hurtful. Like they operate on the credo that "opposite" is funny. I had a red head teamate who who was called "bluey' ffs. Footy locker rooms, whilst i enjoyed the camaraderie and winning as a team , was a long way from an algonquin round table of wit.

I had never considered that "thick' referred to body type, simply because I've never heard it before and I'm not interested in keeping up with how young people talk today.
So when Kieran says "I'm just a thick boy", he's meaning "I'm just a fat boy"? And when Daniel and Matt call him "Thick" they are using a nickname based on his weight?

There's been worse things said about him in this forum.

"Thick" is sometimes used to describe the curvaceous Kardashian type of body. It's not the same as fat or obese and I would consider it odd for a man to be described that way.

I don't think it's commonly used in Australia, I became familiar with it from seeing Americans use it online.

"Thick" is sometimes used to describe the curvaceous Kardashian type of body. It's not the same as fat or obese and I would consider it odd for a man to be described that way.

I don't think it's commonly used in Australia, I became familiar with it from seeing Americans use it online.

Yeah, I think I'll stick with my original interpretation, that Kieran, Daniel and Matt use the word to describe "stupid".
It just seems more likely in straight male culture.
Hopefully someone will ask them post-eviction. If Dan or Matt reply "because he's thick", we'll know for sure.

These days a thick body for a male actually means they are muscular and buff.

I'm pretty sure he said in the diary room he gave himself the nickname because it was good for his strategy and game placement. If his fine with people calling him it, I don't see it as an issue, especially if he wants them to call him it.

*shrugs*
If he's fine with it, sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree.

I still don't believe that Daniel and Matt use it in an affectionate or complimentary way, but so be it.

*shrugs*

I still don't believe that Daniel and Matt use it in an affectionate or complimentary way, but so be it.
i must admit though, I didn't like the way Dan kept calling him it with the sly smirk he had on his face

it's almost like he took advantage of it

*shrugs*

Apparently Kieran still talks with mat

Apparently Kieran still talks with mat
Exactly. We hypothesise at best as to their true relations to each other thru a heavily lensed edited cut.
True story comes out after its all finished. But this forum is designed for outrage, shrieking and calling out bad behaviours with 1% of the true account.
But hey. Thats reality tv in a nutshell.

Exactly. We hypothesise at best as to their true relations to each other thru a heavily lensed edited cut.
True story comes out after its all finished. But this forum is designed for outrage, shrieking and calling out bad behaviours with 1% of the true account.
But hey. Thats reality tv in a nutshell.

The shrieking about it afterwards is the fun bit. There's precious little nourishment in the actual show.

I'm here because the layout of the forum is superb, and the rate of interactions is just right. Not too small as to be a ghost town but not too big as to be overwhelming.

I'm here because the layout of the forum is superb, and the rate of interactions is just right. Not too small as to be a ghost town but not too big as to be overwhelming.
Agree. And I am amazed at the zealousness and passion of petri dishing every tiny aspect of the show.
I am in awe.

I had a red head teamate who who was called "bluey' ffs.

Blue or Bluey is a really old-fashioned Aussie nickname for someone with red hair, going back easily 100+ years. It was told to me many years ago (by an old guy named Bluey, whose dad was also Bluey) that it comes from the idea that redheads can be a bit firey and don’t mind starting a blue/fight. Not sure how true that is, but I wasn’t gonna risk it, haha. I quite like the nickname, you don’t tend to hear it as much in the younger generations now though.

Back