Skip to main content

Why don't people like Ben?

This is the kind of stuff that turns me off: "Ben also rises - albeit slowly - making half-hearted comments that he might go and help milk the cow. He then hears that the other HMs are taking care of it. “Anyway, back to sleep,” he says.

Has he ever milked Buttercup? Does he ever DO anything in the house to help out? The only time we've seen him pitch in was when Tim basically forced him to. And he apparently can't even be fussed to wash his clothes as we learned in that conversation with Tim yesterday so wtf is he doing all day? I can be sloth-like with the best of them but blatant laziness just shits me to no end. Especially when I'm convinced the whole "I can't cook my veggie burgers, I can't chop vegetables, blah blah blah" is a total put on.

Exactly! Everyone pays out Ed, Matt & Caleb for being "boring" but at least they do/did stuff during the day!

Exactly! Everyone pays out Ed, Matt & Caleb for being "boring" but at least they do/did stuff during the day!
Yeah I just don't get it. I wish we could have a live feed into one normal day (ie no tasks are on) to see what he actually does. He doesn't work out, he doesn't wash his clothes, he doesn't cook, his whole tanning gig only lasted a couple of days, he's never in the pool. It's not like he could be reading a book, surfing Grindr or watching tv. So what exactly are you doing Ben???!!!

As a BB fan, I really don't want Ben to win and be representative of my favourite reality show. Gross.

Sunbaking is doing stuff?
When Ben opens his mouth at least something remotely interesting comes out.
And I'd be happy for him to win, considering the disaster of a winner last year.

He's a boring, simple man who doesn't offer much entertainment wise. He seems extremely fake, and has a strong serial killer vibe to him.

Can see him with a dead body in his living room talking to his photos.

Are you suggesting Marion Crane avoid checking into his motel?

I can't decide how I feel about him.

On the one hand he's shown some insightful moments and it's a bit sad how the majority of the house basically dismiss him. The only people that seem to treat him as a person are the sisters (though they tend to baby him more than anything), Mikkayla and Jade. The boys aren't exactly being mean to him but he's definitely on the periphery with them. It does give him a massive opportunity to see how people are truly behaving though as he just seems to be a non entity when they're in bitch mode.

Then you have the Ben that can't/won't cook for himself and wears PJ's all day because he has no clothes (seriously, use the fricken machine). That side of Ben irritates the hell out of me and also makes me feel sad because he's never going to get a life while he's clinging so close to home. As much as he's close to his mum she failed at raising an adult.

I'm still not totally convinced he's real :confused:

On one hand (as a mad foodie lol) I can't understand how someone who has lived alone for 10 years doesn't know how to cook at ALL. On the other hand, as someone who also has spent large chunks of my life living alone (and thus been responsible for ALL housework/washing/etc), I can understand why he may be revelling in others doing the housework, and in not *having* to do his washing. Not saying its right (it's not), but I can understand why. Just because he won't do stuff, doesn't mean he can't.

I don't get this, I see so many snarky comments about Ben....and why?
The talking to the photos thing is real creepy, but I don't think he's that bad, I enjoy watching his interactions and views on stuff.

Appropriate criticism of us 'snarks'. Bygones. Ben's a good guy, much to like. He amuses me with his innocent truthfulness and he's anything but stupid. Awkward he is, I wouldn't wanna be in his head, but he hangs in there and he is honest. What's not to like?
Perhaps the producers have gotten wind of the staleness of the picture talk HALLELUJAH.. even those bumblers get it right some times.

Just now Tim, the would-be theologian (god help our children) was purporting some convoluted theory as to why it's all right to wear a crucifix even if you don't believe in god - or something along those lines. Tim's deliberations didn't make any sense to me nor to Ben it seems. Well, long story short, Ben had him by the balls. You can always tell when Tim insists on talking over and interrupting the other party. Ben didn't budge and IMO, Ben won the argument with flying colours. Tim of course and his followers will never see it this way.

It's a good time in the house now. The ranks have thinned and the individual characters are emerging. Why, I even heard one of the meatheads muttering something half intelligent the other day. Don't ask me for a quote though... it might have been a mirage.

Ben is right now the only male I like watching - and I say this without a trace of sarcasm in my heart. Really.:)

On one hand (as a mad foodie lol) I can't understand how someone who has lived alone for 10 years doesn't know how to cook at ALL. On the other hand, as someone who also has spent large chunks of my life living alone (and thus been responsible for ALL housework/washing/etc), I can understand why he may be revelling in others doing the housework, and in not *having* to do his washing. Not saying its right (it's not), but I can understand why. Just because he won't do stuff, doesn't mean he can't.

Oh I can understand wanting a break and having someone else step up for a while but it seems not so much that he needs a break as he really doesn't know how to do things, he said himself he didn't know how to cook his veggie patties and he had to be shown how to cut up veggies for tea. I think his mum and nan probably do a huge amount of the basic domestic stuff for him. I have a vague recollection of some comment from him about them putting food in his freezer so he just microwaves it.

Just thinking that the comment Ben made about having no clothes left might have just been him saying that he was sick of wearing the few clothes that he has again and was very happy to feel comfortable enough to wear his pj's during the day, rather than not having any clean clothes left.

In one of the earlier weeks when Ben was put into the half-way house he commented that he was happy that he could wash his own clothes now as he didn't like others washing his clothes.

So maybe it isn't about laziness ........ more about choice and comfort.

He puts the irk in quirk Please don't let him milk Buttercup. have you seen the shape of those teets?
I don't want him to hyperventilate.

Last edited:
Oh I can understand wanting a break and having someone else step up for a while but it seems not so much that he needs a break as he really doesn't know how to do things, he said himself he didn't know how to cook his veggie patties and he had to be shown how to cut up veggies for tea. I think his mum and nan probably do a huge amount of the basic domestic stuff for him. I have a vague recollection of some comment from him about them putting food in his freezer so he just microwaves it.
[MENTION=32199]foo[/MENTION]d...yes, I know. The first part of my comment was 'I don't understand how he doesn't know how to cook' etc

I would think Ben is milking the show for all it's worth.
What are the chances if the HMs were to give him grief about his actions, it would stir up the viewers to keep him in.
So IMO he is holding on to hope, that he can play this character and have sympathy form inside and outside.
It would be interesting to see the real Ben but at the moment no one is game to call him out.
I'm sure Ben hangs out with the ones that give him the most attention and find him funny to enhance his chances of staying.
Would love to be a fly on the wall since we don't have live feed.

You nasty homophobes should burn in hell for not liking an excellent representative of the gay community who is creating a great impression among heteros.

He's the antithesis of the scumbag ben12 who I'm surprised hasn't been bashed to date, given his propensity for bullying and general nastiness some karma his way is well over due. Ben13 is the complete opposite of that arsehole and his presence in the BB house will go a long way to changing negative perceptions of gays (particular guys) in society and for that I applaud him.

You nasty homophobes should burn in hell for not liking an excellent representative of the gay community who is creating a great impression among heteros.

He's the antithesis of the scumbag ben12 who I'm surprised hasn't been bashed to date, given his propensity for bullying and general nastiness some karma his way is well over due. Ben13 is the complete opposite of that arsehole and his presence in the BB house will go a long way to changing negative perceptions of gays (particular guys) in society and for that I applaud him.

I like Ben.
I think he is playing the game beautifully.
Not keen on him talking to the photos so much but otherwise I think he is great.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

I hated Ben12 and I like Ben13 but even I LOL.

I find it fascinating how some people who have had 'first world' upbringing have this hard edge to them that they refuse to believe that a full grown adult like Ben13 could be that 'nice'. It can't possibly be, he has to some creep putting on an act.

This exact same thing happened to Steve Irwin as well when many aussies refused to accept his childlike enthusiasm and innonence was 'fair dinkum' and not an act that was put on to win a fanbase for his causes and/or to fill his pockets. Some aussies were even downright embarrassed by Steve and often tried to reassure yanks and other foreigners that Steve was an 'oddball' and not a character commonly found in Australian society in general.

That kind of happy go lucky not a mean bone in their body is very common among people from the so-called 'third world', and questions of their authenticity do not even come up.

Like I said, it is a very fascinating aspect of human behaviour that I've observed.

I find it fascinating how some people who have had 'first world' upbringing have this hard edge to them that they refuse to believe that a full grown adult like Ben13 could be that 'nice'. It can't possibly be, he has to some creep putting on an act.

This exact same thing happened to Steve Irwin as well when many aussies refused to accept his childlike enthusiasm and innonence was 'fair dinkum' and not an act that was put on to win a fanbase for his causes and/or to fill his pockets. Some aussies were even downright embarrassed by Steve and often tried to reassure yanks and other foreigners that Steve was an 'oddball' and not a character commonly found in Australian society in general.

That kind of happy go lucky not a mean bone in their body is very common among people from the so-called 'third world', and questions of their authenticity do not even come up.

Like I said, it is a very fascinating aspect of human behaviour that I've observed.

Bush Scratching Head.jpg
maybe i just need more coffee

Back