Skip to main content

Why does Tahan keep getting favourable editing?

juw

Ok, this is not about whether we like Tahan or not (there are enough of those threads).

It is a look at how she is portrayed on screen compared to other HMs. Yes, all those segments that are shown to exaggerate Tahan's vulnerability and underdog persona.

Here are some examples:

1. In around the 4th week, they re-aired her BB intro "girl next door from Darwin" clip even though it is old footage. No other HM got this. The montage had no mention of her bullying despite the fact that she was nasty towards the sugar sisters.

2. The "mean girl who is more than meets the eye" clips. They aired a clip dedicated to Tahan as sexy, cool down to earth. To this date I have seen no other housemate get such a favourable compilation clip.

3. The segment where BB made her dress like the sugar sisters and become friends, while funny, only made Tahan look good at the expense of the sisters.

4. The "Tahan is the most nominated" clips. We are led to believe that because she is the most nominated, it makes her the underdog. Nothing could be further from the truth.

5. The "I am too honest" narrative! I didn't think people will buy it but I was wrong. If there was a superpower persona, this is it. It is effectively giving her a free pass to treat people badly and get away with it.

There is a difference between honesty and a total lack of regard for other people's feelings. True honesty requires self reflection and a level of emotional maturity, neither of which she has.

6. Sonia's exit interview with the Sugar Sisters was particularly telling. Sonia tried to show the rivalry between Tahan and the sisters as 2 sided when in reality, the bullying was only done by 1 side.
Sonia then asked: "Why do you think Tahan didn't like you?". The sisters never got a chance to tell their side of the story.

7. The crying scene last week when she thought that Jade wanted to bury her. Regardless of what really happened, the result was overwhelmingly positive for Tahan.

Edit: more examples:

8. Tahan is featured the most in big brother TV commercials, counting before AND during the series

9. They always show other people bitching about Tahan but do not show Tahan's nastiness. It makes Tahan look like the victim when in fact there was a good reason why people don't like her.

Eg, The night when Tahan impersonated Mikkayla eating and made fun of her body size, the viewers only saw Mikkayla bitching with Jade the next day. It wasn't until later on that we are shown what Tahan did, (and it was probably heavily censored).

Eg, Jade / Sugar Sisters / Mikkayla talk about how Tahan is always making mean comments and covering up with "just kidding", but they don't show Tahan actually doing it. A cheap way to make the other girls look bitchy.

Last edited:
Her boyfriend probably bribed the editors with his vast reserves of wealth I suppose.

ibgRBC4V3vlpRp.gif

She's had her share of negative air time too. The screaming match and mocking of Mikkayla, along with her throwing Tim's jacket over the wall are a couple of times that sprung to mind.

I don't love her, I don't hate her. Her "I'm too honest" is just as bad as Mikkayla's "cat of nine lives" thing and Ed's "I've got cards up my sleeve" thing. I think they don't realise how often they say it and how silly it sounds.

Meh, to my own mind, Tahan is not being given any favorable treatment.

I do find it interesting that the moment they suddenly started pushing the "Tahan's the underdog" storyline they started doing strange things with the editing like not showing her calling Lucy fat which had apparently caused a big issue and drama amongst all the housemates.

I don't know if anyone else has gotten these where they live but on NBN they have been showing constant promotional adds for Tahan for about a month now. I've never seen these for any of the other housemates.

I really hope she isn't becoming the new Ben...because giving her a leg up and choosing not to show her saying abrupt and nasty things is kind of taking away what makes Tahan Tahan if that makes any sense.

For whatever reason, the girl seems to have a large fan base so the producers decided it's time to start sucking up to these viewers. IMHO.

I think she gets good editing and bad editing. I don't think she is getting any special privileges. I think because she has a following and she is quite popular people assume she is getting a better edit. It's not that at all in my opinion. She has shown growth as a person and her vulnerable side has made people see her differently. Why would bb not show this side of her. I am enjoying seeing tahan grow and seeing her realise new things about herself.

1. A few weeks in, they spent 10 minutes re-airing parts of her BB introduction montage even though it is old footage. No other HM got this. It painted her as a girl next door from Darwin who is positive and fun loving. No mention of her bullying despite the fact that she was nasty towards the sugar sisters.

Name me a single housemate EVER in ANY series of BB that hasn't either:

-played the game.
-did or said something mean or nasty.
-backstabbed another housemate.
-double crossed a 'friend' in nominations.
-played strategically.
-manipulated in one way or another.

2. The segment where BB made her dress like the sugar sisters and become friends, while funny, only made Tahan look good at the expense of the sisters.

WRONG!!! .....that move by BB was a potential landmine for Tahan, you have got be kidding yourself if you think BB did that to make Tahan LOOK GOOD. By lumping Tahan with her sworn enemies was a setup designed to give Tahan every oppotunity to stuff up by doing something wrong. Don't forget, the Sugar Sisters were riding a wave of very high popularity at that stage and any wrong move by Tahan would've been BAD NEWS for Tahan. If Tahan came out of that "looking good" as you say, it was not because BB intend it that way, it was because Tahan had the good sense to NOT do something silly and shoot herself in the foot.....even though BB gave her a loaded gun !!!

4. The "Tahan is the most nominated" montage. We are led to believe that because she is the most nominated, it makes her the underdog. Nothing could be further from the truth.
WRONG !!!......yes it does make her the underdog. Irrespective of how popular she may be, simply getting nominated week after week quite simply means your chances of getting evicted increase....take a look at Ben, massive public support, extremely popular in the house, only been up a few times...and SPLAT !!! ...the numbers just didn't fall his way and his gone. Be nominated enough times and eventually you'll be evicted. Simple.

5. The "I am too honest" narrative that keeps getting repeated. Viewers now think Tahan = honest. If there was a superpower persona, this is it. It is effectively giving her a free pass to treat people badly and get away with it.
Yeah she HONESTLY beleives that she is better than everyone else and she is competitive. But thats where the honesty ends. What she shows is not honesty, but a complete lack of regard for other people. True honesty requires self reflection and emotional maturity, neither of which she has.

But thats also a bit like all the air time ED has gotten where he openly preaches to the public and other housemates that Tim is the source of all evil.
It's also a bit like all the air time Ben got where he'd mumble to himself "I'm just nice Ben, not like these other bad people"
It's also like all the air time devoted to Mikkayla holding sermons about Tim and Tahan evilness.

6. Sonia's exit interview with the Sugar Sisters was particularly telling. It was almost like the interview was about Tahan rather than the sisters themselves. First they showed a montage of their rivalry which glossed over many of the nasty things that Tahan did. Then Sonia asked leading questions like: "Why did Tahan call you dumb?" and "Why do you think Tahan didn't like you". The sisters never got a chance to say what they really thought of Tahan.

The Sugar Sisters - Tahan dynamic one of the key stories of this years series, these girls were at the heart of it so it was to be expected Sonia would ask those questions. Sonia asking those questions actually WASN'T beneficial to Tahan because it gave the Sugar Sisters the opportunity to tell their side of the story, to litarally slag Tahan off to the whole country and Tahan wouldn't have the opportunity to directly respond. You've made you above comment sound as if Sonia did Tahan a favour...WRONG.

7. The crying scene last week when she thought that Jade wanted to bury her. Regardless of what really happened, the result was overwhelmingly positive for Tahan.

Yes, the result proved to be overwhelmingly positive for Tahan, and for GOOD BLOODY REASON....because what was said was so overwhelmingly nasty and vicious. Sure other housemates have said or done mean things and Tahan has done her fair share no doubt, but what Jade said, even if it was a slip of the tongue was beyond mean, it was utterly awful and a total disgrace. What did you expect ? ...BB to edit out those disgusting comments and not show them to the public. The public deserves to see just how much of viscious cow Jade can be when she forgets for a moment the cameras are watching. BB showed Tahans rude impersonation of Mikkayla eating....it would have been criminal to NOT SHOW the nasty "die in a hole" thing Jade and Mikkaya said.

She has shown growth as a person and her vulnerable side has made people see her differently.

Thats exactly why she is getting special privileges. Tahan gets the most diary room coverage (next to Tim). She gets to answer questions like "how has big brother changed you as a person" (to redeem herself from being nasty). She gets to put on a crying act in front of big brother (to show she is vulnerable for those who buy it).

Who else gets to do this on national TV?

Last edited:
Ok, this is not about whether we like Tahan or not (there are enough of those threads).

It is a look at how she is portrayed on screen compared to other HMs. Surely we have noticed all those segments that are shown for no other reason than to make Tahan look good to viewers. No other housemates gets this much help from the producers except maybe Ed.

Here are some examples:

1. A few weeks in, they spent 10 minutes re-airing parts of her BB introduction montage even though it is old footage. No other HM got this. It painted her as a girl next door from Darwin who is positive and fun loving. No mention of her bullying despite the fact that she was nasty towards the sugar sisters.

2. The segment where BB made her dress like the sugar sisters and become friends, while funny, only made Tahan look good at the expense of the sisters.

3. The "mean girl who is more than meets the eye" montage. Another prime time segment to paint Tahan as a cool girl who is down to earth. Lot's of bikini scenes as usual. Did not show her nasty side. Again, no other HM got a montage that episode.

4. The "Tahan is the most nominated" montage. We are led to believe that because she is the most nominated, it makes her the underdog. Nothing could be further from the truth.

5. The "I am too honest" narrative that keeps getting repeated. Viewers now think Tahan = honest. If there was a superpower persona, this is it. It is effectively giving her a free pass to treat people badly and get away with it.
Yeah she HONESTLY beleives that she is better than everyone else and she is competitive. But thats where the honesty ends. What she shows is not honesty, but a complete lack of regard for other people. True honesty requires self reflection and emotional maturity, neither of which she has.

6. Sonia's exit interview with the Sugar Sisters was particularly telling. It was almost like the interview was about Tahan rather than the sisters themselves. First they showed a montage of their rivalry which glossed over many of the nasty things that Tahan did.
Then Sonia asked leading questions like: "Why did Tahan call you dumb?" and "Why do you think Tahan didn't like you". The sisters never got a chance to say what they really thought of Tahan.

A lot of these aren't applicable, as [MENTION=36609]phatbeats33[/MENTION] says. I don't think Tahan gets special privileges; she gets quite a lot of airtime but that's for good reason. She's one of the view HMs who make things happen and who make BB interesting. She doesn't just lie around and sunbake all day. She gets involved in all the group activities and she always seems to have lots of energy. The producers try to show us the most interesting things that happen in the house and Tahan happens to be involved in them because of her personality.

Thats exactly why she is getting special privileges. Tahan gets the most diary room coverage (next to Tim). She gets to answer questions like "how has big brother changed you as a person" (to redeem herself from being nasty). She gets to put on a crying act in front of big brother (to show she is vulnerable for those who buy it).

Didnt we get Ben with a show with his special visitors.
Half the daily show on about Ed and Jade in the GOE.

Why dont you go and complain about those?
Are those not special privileges?
If you complain about one, go complain about them all.

It is possible that she is growing as a person, it is possible that it isn't edited to be made that way but there is another part to tahan. not everyone is one way directed. she isnt just this mean girl persona. But because now she did show vulnerabilty and a softer side its a ploy by bb? im not buying it. i do think she has grown and i believe she isnt getting the favoured editing. they all have bad and good. just the other day they showed tahan and madaline talking anout jade being insecure and tahan saying she looks silly. its not all good editing.

She does use the DR more than anyone else. It's been like this from the beginning not just now- whenever there has been a reason to go there she does. Others vent their frustrations openly and cry openly or sit I a corner and talk to someone, whereas tahan confines herself to the diary room to let out frustrations. If that's manipulating the audience then the others are manipulating hm's in the house? That's not logical for me. Everyone deals with things differently. She isn't to know what will be aired. Just like the others have no control of what is shown. Bb will choose, but it is up and down with each hm. Ben was favoured, but last week we didn't see as much of Ben. In the final days before eviction he seemed to be shown as a bit of a downer. Bb didn't seem to be favouring him then. Like I said they all get a good and bad look.

Besides ed and jade got their on show the other night. Seems like air time was more important for him then anyone else. But hey it's only tahan right?

Didnt we get Ben with a show with his special visitors.
Half the daily show on about Ed and Jade in the GOE.

Why dont you go and complain about those?
Are those not special privileges?
If you complain about one, go complain about them all.

Totally agree. But there wasn't enough room.

The idea Tahan gets treated well - laughable.......OP your joking right?

She's been treated like shit since day one, shitty side of house, clothes taken, hairdryer taken - and how long before she got it back?
Tahan has put up with more shit than anyone, with out any real special treat - like she doesn't get to watch Aussie Next Top Model, or go on special dates.

I'm still laughing at the very idea she ever got anything kind from BB.

Tim/Ben/Jade are BB's pets, they get all the good treats.

Tahan gets both good and bad edits just like the rest of them. Some of her bad stuff? The ongoing "I can beat them!" "I want to beat them!" scenes, do you think those are considered favourable and helping Tahan's cause? The imitating Mikkayla scenes, the fighting with the sisters, none of those are good for Tahan yet they were shown. And its not like the editing tries to sway the audience into her favour somehow because theres always a stack of people saying how much they hate her. Both Tahan and Tim are featured a lot because they actually do stuff and are mischevious and devious in their gameplay, its interesting to watch.

If you are looking to claim she gets favouritism look at Ben who had a tonne of early episodes nearly dedicated to him, Jade and Drew that had a lot of airtime due to the fake marriage, Jade and Ed for the romance storyline, Tim for the prankster stuff, Tully for cracking it at everything. They all get favouritism based on how entertaining they are seen to be. If they do jack all they will be shown jack all. And I havent particularly noticed Tahan being favoured in the ads a lot but if she was, why shouldnt she? Shes a major character this year and she is one of the most attractive housemates combine those two factors and shes bound to be front and center.

Sometimes Jade seems to get a favorable edit .... mostly Ben has been accused of having a favorable edit. Them not showing her calling Lucy fat is a good point though. That seems like drama they'd want shown. Not sure why they didn't show Jade and Mikkayla in the diary room either when Mikk was upset and Jade was with her. They talked about it, but never showed it.

One thing I have noticed is the camera men seem to be a bit pervy. A few times when Jade is lying down talking they show her talking with the camera right up at her crotch rather than her face ... i'm sure there are better angels they could have done. They've got Tahan's underwear when she was doing the challange .. though that can be partly her fault for wearing that while knowing she was going to do a challange.

The idea Tahan gets treated well - laughable.......OP your joking right?

She's been treated like shit since day one, shitty side of house, clothes taken, hairdryer taken - and how long before she got it back?
Tahan has put up with more shit than anyone, with out any real special treat - like she doesn't get to watch Aussie Next Top Model, or go on special dates.

I'm still laughing at the very idea she ever got anything kind from BB.

Tim/Ben/Jade are BB's pets, they get all the good treats.

Yes I agree with this. Also, she was never given help by the bb production. Jade had surly try and advise jade on keeping away from ed.

Sometimes Jade seems to get a favorable edit .... mostly Ben has been accused of having a favorable edit. Them not showing her calling Lucy fat is a good point though. That seems like drama they'd want shown. Not sure why they didn't show Jade and Mikkayla in the diary room either when Mikk was upset and Jade was with her. They talked about it, but never showed it.

One thing I have noticed is the camera men seem to be a bit pervy. A few times when Jade is lying down talking they show her talking with the camera right up at her crotch rather than her face ... i'm sure there are better angels they could have done. They've got Tahan's underwear when she was doing the challange .. though that can be partly her fault for wearing that while knowing she was going to do a challange.

It is also partly Mikkayla's fault for spreading her legs if your going to blame Tahan's shot on her.

I noticed this too. What a bunch of perves lol.

Jade had surly try and advise jade on keeping away from ed.

She did also however have the same stupid fish plan a date specially designed to make her look stupid and pathetic.

Surly just needs to rack off.

Back