Skip to main content

Why do Travis, Skye and Katie talk like babies?

I grew up in Oakleigh and now live in the northern suburbs. I've met all types and there is great diversity within 2nd and 3rd generation greeek/italian aussies. However none remind me of Travis accent which is distinct. I still think it's a cocky boganish, footy type. Like I said somewhere else Ed had a bit of it too.

I normally don't get upset about it but it brought back memories of being mocked growing up and being put into a 'group' just based on where my parents came from. So I apologise for getting a bit upset.

Oh it's understandable, of course. I wasn't pushing what you were feeling aside, it's just that I don't think people were meaning to be malicious.

It's a very show pony / cocky, exaggerated accent. Which is probably why it's similar to the boys who work for my bf. Gorgeous guys but God don't they know it AND play it up too. The more excited they get, or if they're talking to girls, the more like Travis they sound.. but with more brain.

Just brought back bad memories of my childhood in the 7os.

Travis has an 'accent' of sorts - I can hear that clearly. To me it's not typical of Melbourne -north, south, east or west. I'd say it's unique to Travis. Show pony, AFL footy culture, blokey and who knows what else.
Probably laziness too. Youseee. Ugh.

Well this thread was an interesting read. I know that Travis and his accent has been discussed before in other thread......

Too me it sound more "Aussie bogan" than Wog, maybe the wogs in south west Sydney sound different to the ones from Melbourne, Brisbane..... etc etc

Anyway I also said this before as well, but Travis sounds almost exactly like Daniel from Angry Boys...... The funny thing is that the character of Daniel is imo a stereotypical Aussie Bogan accent..... the voice is completely put on....... where as Travis his accent seems to be natural for him.

Bit old but kids discussing what a 'wog' is with Nick Giannopoulos on Steve Vizard's show many many years ago. Also shows that Nick himself obviously put's on a lot of his 'accent' for comedy.

I've studied linguistics when I was at university and we covered the different accents in Australia. It's actually pretty interesting.
Is there a website somewhere that explains and compares accents in Australia? I wasn't sure what linguistic terms to use to search.

Too me it sound more "Aussie bogan" than Wog, maybe the wogs in south west Sydney sound different to the ones from Melbourne, Brisbane..... etc etc
Yeah, it sounds more Bogan than Wog. But it isn't full on Bogan - It's a compromise between the modern day 'footy' urban accent and Bogan, with a dash of Wog.

Classical Bogans don't say Cat like Caaat (the way Travis says it). A Bogan would say it more like how Aisha would say it - Ket.

I finally realised who I know that has a voice like Travis.

He was a kid who lived outside of Geelong. Same sort of bogan* / footy boy / legend-in-his-own-lunchbox / womaniser.
I think this kid was first or second-generation Aussie, but I think he was Macedonian.

Nonetheless, I think it's some sort of Wog/Bogan hybrid. 'Wogan'?

*I'm not saying that everyone from Geelong is a bogan. This guy was one of the people from Geelong who are a bogan, though.

Yeah, it sounds more Bogan than Wog. But it isn't full on Bogan - It's a compromise between the modern day 'footy' urban accent and Bogan, with a dash of Wog.

Classical Bogans don't say Cat like Caaat (the way Travis says it). A Bogan would say it more like how Aisha would say it - Ket.
That's her New Zealand accent.

I live in Melbourne's northern suburbs, and I am from a Greek background, and Travis does not sound like the typical 'wog' from around these parts. He has more of a footy bogan accent as others have mentioned. Actually I think beardymac is spot on with this:
Nonetheless, I think it's some sort of Wog/Bogan hybrid. 'Wogan'?

Back