Skip to main content

Who will host in 2020?

Gretel Killeen has been signed to host Seven’s rebooted series of Big Brother next year, television insiders said last night.

There has been so many rumours and speculation about BB already I am not sure whether or not to believe this. It is according to "television insiders" the article said. Could all just be speculation and from anyone who works in the media directly involved or not? The article also mentions Sonia Kruger was in the running as well. But I can't see why she would want to give up her position on 9 with hosting Today Extra and The Voice Australia.

Fake News?

I am a big Gretel stan so even if BB is pre-recorded I would still love her hosting.
Hope it's true, but who knows if it is

I'm not sure Gretel would actually suit the role if it's more about overseeing challenges than talking to the audience.

I feel like Gretel would spit on this format in all honesty, she always talked about raw moments between everyday Australians and almost always frowned upon people that 'played the game' during their launch/eviction interviews. But hey, everyone has a price 🤑🤑

But it could also come down to location... first the rumours were Melbourne, then Sydney, so if Ch7 want to save money, they'll want a host based where its filmed.
Endemol and Channel Ten were flying 4 people in and out of Queensland on a weekly basis in the season that was budget cut central (bb8), Seven can more than afford flying 1 person in and out of Sydney each week for 12 weeks. The cost cutting rumour is just for the house, which makes sense considering Ten spent almost $10M on the production complex construction in 2001.

I doubt it'll run for anything close to 12 weeks if they're pre-recording it. A "week" can be filmed over 3-4 days and probably air over 2-3 episodes, so I think we're looking at an accelerated format both in the filiming and airing where they'll be two eviction cycles a week, so probably film over 6-8 weeks at most and they'll air it like that too.

To be honest without a live show probably more than any version Big Brother Australia could survive without a "host" if "Big Brother" himself was implemented in the same way as previously. It's also worth remembering that in the North American format the host only really interacts with the houseguests in three ways - to reveal twist and to oversee the eviction and HoH process, and in all three "Big Brother" could perform that role.

I don't think it would be the right call to drop the host, and I suspect any host will take on the role of narrator too if the show is pre-recorded, but if any version could survive without one it probably is BB Australia.

So, the two people that are really important to this show's success without a host are Mike Goldman (narrator) and Leon Murray (lead Deputy Big Brother)?

As much as I like Tim, if he was hosting any hypothetical live format, he'd unintentionally make the show about himself and detract from the housemates. We need someone who's sharp and energetic but also able to keep the audience's focus on the house.
Yes, I like Tim, he's engaging enough but perhaps too big of a personality to fit as BB host. If Gretel isn't available then I'd like to see Chrissie do it.

I doubt it'll run for anything close to 12 weeks if they're pre-recording it. A "week" can be filmed over 3-4 days and probably air over 2-3 episodes, so I think we're looking at an accelerated format both in the filiming and airing where they'll be two eviction cycles a week, so probably film over 6-8 weeks at most and they'll air it like that too.
I know, I was just making a point that the host's base location means nothing even under a tight budget.

Troll alert 😱

I don't think it's kind or just to describe someone as a troll, just because they have a different opinion, which is what I assume you are doing?

My suggestions might not be for the most likeable people but I do want a series that is interesting and sometimes more polarising people might be good for that (including the host).

I don't think Gretel was universally loved either. I want a risk not someone who is just a host without interest or opinion.

Last edited:
The most potentially difficult thing I could see with a polarising host is that the show becomes more about them and less about the peoplein the house that are competing, kind of like what happens with the voice being about the judges. It is a tough gig to get the right mix of intelligence wit and maybe a wee bit of controversy but still be able to keep thier ego in check to let the housemates shine.

I want a risk not someone who is just a host without interest
That was the root of the problem with Sonia. It was just another job for her - she had no actual love for the show or the format.

This is why they really need to go for someone that has publicly put their hand up and actually wants it, otherwise we'll just end up with another Sonia. Someone that just looks at auto-cue, reads their lines and then goes home. This is why Gretel was such a great host, she would let the show consume her life for three months and would constantly be watching the live feeds - in eviction shows she would often bring up small events or moments that were never in the Daily Show during the interview with the evictee.

You left out the bit where she did a big fake smile into the camera after delivering every single line. Sonia was painful.
I always had a small chuckle to myself in 2012 and 2013 when she would step out of the eye and pause to wave at the audience with the hand she held her microphone in. It was so robotic and looked almost exactly like the animated housemate waving goodbye after being evicted from the 2005-2007 titles.

Back