Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mcgann

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eccleston

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Tennant

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
... for anyone that is interested in reading this short novel... here are my Doctors listed in the order that i like then and the reasons why...

...(1)... Tennant is... was and always will be my favourite... because?... well... he's David Tennant!!!!!... his Doctor was fiesty/whimsical/harsh/comedic/multi layered while talking/his mind wandered off into tangents etc... there are so many things about his Doctor I liked that I couldn't possibly write them all down lol!... (I must admit to a 'man crush' on David Tennant lol!)...

...(2)... Capaldi is very close behind... I'm loving his version more and more in each episode... it's too early really to give all of my reasons why obviously...

...(3)... McGann should've had more gigs with it... he had so much potential in my opinion... before Capaldi got the role it was rumoured that McGann might have got it... I would have loved to have seen that happen but now that I've seen Capaldi as The Doctor I'm satisfied that Capaldi got it... when Capaldi's stint is over I would love to see McGann get the role next... after all... he did say that he would love to do the role again... (I can only hope eh?)... his movie about Doctor Who kept the flame of interest flickering until the new series was revamped to what it is today... I will always love his role for that reason alone if nothing else...

...(4)... Hartnell because he was THE original and my most nostalgic one... he made the show what it is today... he carried the whole thing on his back to make the show work... I will always be grateful to him for that if nothing else... I loved his age/gruffiness/stubborness etc in his role as The Doctor...

...(5)... Davison because he was always so entertaining and his mind always wandered off in a whimsical way while in mid sentence... much like Tennant at times... he had so much going for him personality wise for me... he would've been in third place for me except for the reasons stated above about Hartnell and McGann... he was a real thinker on occasions and so flippant on other occasions... he was the first Doctor that made me really wish that I WAS The Doctor!... (another half 'man crush' possibly here at the time too lol!)...

...(6)... Ecclestone next... I agree... he was sassy... he was also mysterious mainly because he was the one that reinvented the role of The Doctor... no more of the foppish multicoloured 'Joseph and the technicloured coat' types of outfits... a cross between a bad-assed rock and roller and a science nabob type of character... as with Hartnell before... he carried the burden of making the revamped renewed show on his back too... I'll always be thankful of him for that too...

...(7)... Smith... he was always a bit too 'flippy floppy' for my liking to be honest... I think that his main intention was to be more outlandish than Tennant's one-off take on The Doctor... Tennant was a hard act to follow but Matt overplayed the zaniness of his take on it for me... he was waaaaay too whimsical for me... but still... he's still higher than the rest to come so I suppose that there was something about him that I liked eh?...

...(8)... Troughton next...his was a hard role to do for the fact that Hartnell's shoes would've been hard to fill... the show could've easily have folded if he didn't make it believable that a main character could be replaced via a regeneration... but yes... he sold it well!... all credit to him for it... what I liked about his version was that he didn't just try to imitate Hartnell's take on it... in fact he was the total opposite of Hartnell... he was a clownish buffoon but a real intelligent one too... he kept the show alive when it could've easily have folded right there and then... a great Doctor indeed!...

...(9)... Baker the first next... he was the weirdest/spookiest/maniacal and insane Doctor of them all... he always kept me on the edge as to what he was going to do next... I liked him and disliked him at the same time... I do think that he was in the role way too long though... it was one of the reasons why the show started to get a tad bit stale in this period for me... he should've been replaced a lot earlier than he was in the end in my opinion...

...(10)... McCoy was a strange but likable circus act to me... he was like a strange alien magician that kept pulling rabbits out of his hat/arse at weird moments in the show... he was always quite entertaining but it was as if he wasn't The Doctor at all on many occasions for me too... his version of The Doctor always had me bewildered but the poor bugger had a lot on his plate to try and rescue the show in my opinion... more on that below... a strange Doctor at times indeed!...

...(11)... Pertwee I never liked him at all!... not from the first 10 seconds of his regeneration to the last 10 seconds of his exit... I hated his foppish girly man take on his role of The Doctor... he deconstructed the true meaning of The Doctor to me... he played it mainly as the role of a detective/Sherlock Holmes type of character to me... it was as if he hated the role and was doing it just be be getting paid weekly as far as I was concerned... he made me lose interest in Doctor Who as far as the enjoyment factor of the show was concerned but I've never stopped watching the show... (I've never actually missed an episode from memory)... he just made me stop enjoying it for what it was... an Alien visitor that loved humans and helped them survive... I will never like him for that for that reason mainly... (I know... a bit harsh but he really riles me up when I see him in the role)...

...(12)... Baker number two... I dislike him even more than Pertwee!... yep!... even more than Pertwee!!!!... he was vain/bombastic/foppish to the nth degree/arrogant/nasty and mean towards his companions!... he was everything that Doctor Who wasn't!... he has even admitted in interviews many years ago that he didn't like playing the role of The Doctor because he thought the role was 'beneath him'... when Colin Baker was in this role he slowly destroyed everything that The Doctor was... he deconstructed the role to a mere shadow of what it used to be... he took the role down to its lowest level possible until the producers dumped him due to dying ratings... he killed the show as far as I'm concerned... poor Sylvester McCoy was brought in to resurrect the show to it's former glory but it was all too late... NOBODY could've rescued the show from that point onwards...

...McCoy was blamed for the demise of the show... he was just the poor schmuck in the role when it was cancelled... Colin Baker killed the show and I will never forgive him for it!... (I don't care if I'm being so harsh on him... he deserves it!)...

...so there you go... my take on all of them... being 61 years old I was brought up on Dr Who since the day that it started... I was 10 years old when I first saw it!... (fuck I'm old!)... lol!... (only in body... my mind is still about 10 or 11 years old according to my sweet darling wife lol!)... Daleks have been in my psyche all of that time!... I so love this show... it's part of me!... it's part of what I am!... that's why I love it so much!... Doctor Who forever!!!... cheers.

Thanks Brother! (My 61 year old brother! Hahaha)

Jeez I actually read all of that! Hahahaha! Great to hear you opinions, Interesting you hate Pertwee but you are allowed to have that opinion.

The whole reason I started this thread was so I could gather opinions and find out what other people think about the different incarnations of our favourite Time Lord. It is great to see you were a fan from the start, just like my dad who watched the first ever episode in 1960's England, when he was eight!

It is great that you still have the mind of a 10 year old! There is nothing wrong with that! The Third Doctor comes to mind with his quote (much like the quote in your signature):

"What's the point of being a grown up when you can't be childish sometimes!"

I LIVE by this quote and inspires me to be the person I am. That is what Doctor Who is. It isn't a show, it's a life guide! It's a gift that keeps on giving. The shoulder to cry on. The one that makes you cry. Makes you laugh. Makes you smile The one that makes you show your emotions.

Doctor who is well... If I could condense down it into one video it would be this:

Well this IS an excellent thread, soooo many interesting opinions. And I am so looking forward to more to come ...

Tom Baker was my first Doctor but thanks to our Aunty, and I caught Pertwee on reruns. I didn't live through Doctors 1 or 2, so unfortunately they couldn't be my favourites.

But ... from my POV, every current Doctor is my favourite. Not from the first episode, but I quickly fall in love with all of them, for the different things they have to offer.

But that is a very airy fairy answer, so I will write a novel à la MrStickyFingers and get back to you.

Great thread BigBrotherCritic ... I was introduced to DW by my father also, I walked in on him one day when he was watching The Robot. I imagine he thought I was too young for the scariness, but DW has always known how much kids could take, better than our parents sometimes, lol. Dad and I still dissect it and we generally feel the same way on issues. And like MrStickyFingers and probably many of you, I have learnt life lessons from the program. And I can't believe how lucky we are to still be watching and enjoying ... and obsessing ... all these years down the track.

@Mr Stickyfingers Thanks for your comments on my reviews. I'll be sure to address your views on Pertwee when I get to him. I have never heard about that reaction from Colin Baker, I believe you though. All I recalled was that he was hurt by the sacking and hated Michael Grade, and possibly some aspects of fandom, but if I heard (or read) him saying the Doctor was beneath him then it would indeed be an arrogant ungrateful thing to say.

@nutmeg - Looking forward to your rankings too, and I totally agree about the life lessons.

lol @Ayr
I love the diverse range of opinions here.

Lol... Clownbaker has ... er... stature. But yeah; my body lies over the Baker, my body lies over Davids-sea...

Can you tell I'm obsessed, and little tipsy? :)

We certainly differ on our opinion of Pertwee But that's ok
But I would be very careful calling Capaldi An English man He is a Scotsman or British. Not having a go at you, just a friendly heads up Cheers
OMG, shows you how I don't think much as I type:) What a BOO BOO, the lack of backtracking edit is embarrassing sometimes.

As always interesting thoughts from all.

@stickyfingers I cannot stand Pertwee and his reruns seemed to go on forever, this was something that put me off the Doctor.
I think from the bits i endured, he plays it like he is James Bond, an awful foppish dandyman trying to be James Bond.
His era would tie in with that old Avengers show timeline wouldn't it?
Groovy 60s, spy mad, it has the same feel. All that awful judo - and being stuck on earth was shit (not until much older did I realise this was part of the problem, and all that army shit).

And, agree about Colin Baker, he is a prick - I have read/heard his pompous crap. And I love poor funny little MCcoy.
Forgot McCann he is lovely.
And Tom Baker similarly thought the whole thing was beneath him - he alone of all ex Doctors/with Eccelston of course, has always refused to have anything to do with the doctor world.
The audio series, books, mags, etc that everyone else records and kept Who alive, no TB.
And apparently he was an absolute prick the his wild-woman companion, is it Lena, Leila, something???

So getting him to do the 50th was a big deal - hmm, now he wants to bask in the new glory of resurrected DW

Leela. One of the best classic companions. And yes, Tom was awful to her during her time on the show, but they have reconciled.
leela.jpg

Leela. One of the best classic companions. And yes, Tom was awful to her during her time on the show, but they have reconciled.
leela.jpg
About 1979 I was forced into fancy dress for a "town event".... I was 10... and I had to wear one of my mother's bohemian shirts, which barely covered my crotch to an all-day "celebration of "... fucked if I know what. All I actually remember is being acutely embarrassed by wanting to be the dalek my brother got to be, and me having to run around flashing my knickers... Still *genuinely* love Ms Jamespon, and Mr Baker's (the first) time as a whovian; but just wish I'd been 16 or so ;)

Tom Baker all the way. I worshipped him as a little kid; I even got my mum to knit me a giant scarf! The only problem is, he had such a huge impact on me, I've always found it hard to see anyone else in the role...

Earlier this year I actually sat down and watched every episode he did. Sure, the special effects and costumes are pretty shonky, but the acting and scripts are usually pretty solid. He also had some great companions: Sarah-Jane, K-9, Leela, Romana I & II.

He was just so erratic, funny and, damn - what a voice! :happy:

Mah hubby bought me a 12 foot replica of TBaker's scarf last year. It's about 97 shades of awesome, and we actually fight over who's going to wear it; so the cats usually end up with it as bedding :(((

Tom Baker ...

He was just so erratic, funny and, damn - what a voice! :happy:

For me, wasn't the voice per se; was the innuendo; even the hidden stuff, in the *tone* of that baritone.... So sexy.

I married a 6'5" bloke; all he needs to be perfect is the Baker pitch lol ...

For me, wasn't the voice per se; was the innuendo; even the hidden stuff, in the *tone* of that baritone.... So sexy.

I married a 6'5" bloke; all he needs to be perfect is the Baker pitch lol ...

My mum told me that eating my crusts would make my hair grow curly. Boy did I eat a lot of crusts as a kid! (No curly hair though. Hmm...)

My mum told me that eating my crusts would make my hair grow curly. Boy did I eat a lot of crusts as a kid! (No curly hair though. Hmm...)
lol! I hear ya....

Actually; I think I'm offically pathetic. 6' plus... baritone? Nah; encouraged hubby to a "new" career. As a ... baker... I shit you not.

@Rudiger @Ayr I had a Tom Baker scarf too. Embarrassingly I was in my early teens & it wasn't exactly the coolest thing ever, but an older lady knitted it for me and it was WAY too wide and long. I loved it though, I didn't wear it but I kept it for many years.

@penelopepitstop Any opinion is good, there's no right or wrong, and the original is fantastic, definately one of the best!

Back