Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mcgann

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eccleston

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Tennant

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
I grew up in England watching Jon Pertwee so he will all ways be the Doctor to me plus he spells his first name the same way I do :D
Tom Baker just wasn't the same
I started watching again when David Tennant was the Doctor He was good Matt Smith was good and Peter Capaldi I think is going to be very good

I love 4, and all the rest are OK, except Pertwee, he totally icks me out.
And then i read his background is vaudeville, yeah that makes sense, I found him corny and crap.

Otherwise I do like all the old guys.
Tom Baker - he is such a prick in real life, he is difficult to like. His stuff was OK, I found him a bit puffed up ponce, and i would get bored easily with him.
Eccelston is a prick too.

My LOVES
Peter Davison - I just adore him as the Doctor. And I love him as an actor, I have watched and enjoyed every one he has made.
Standouts though, The Last Detective - awwe I hope they make more, it is possible; and At Home with the Braithwaites

David Tennant - I am sort of in love with:) He is delightful, all round - human and actor, so is his father in law above:)
Also watch everything of his I can
And I never thought another could be as wonderful - then Matt...

Matt - sort of breaks my heart, he is the melancholy wonder, there is magic in Matt, this essence I cannot describe

Capaldi - is oh so delicious, he is the essential eccentric English man.
I was already enjoying his mercurial madness in the political arena.

I love 4, and all the rest are OK, except Pertwee, he totally icks me out.
And then i read his background is vaudeville, yeah that makes sense, I found him corny and crap.

Otherwise I do like all the old guys.
Tom Baker - he is such a prick in real life, he is difficult to like. His stuff was OK, I found him a bit puffed up ponce, and i would get bored easily with him.
Eccelston is a prick too.

My LOVES
Peter Davison - I just adore him as the Doctor. And I love him as an actor, I have watched and enjoyed every one he has made.
Standouts though, The Last Detective - awwe I hope they make more, it is possible; and At Home with the Braithwaites

David Tennant - I am sort of in love with:) He is delightful, all round - human and actor, so is his father in law above:)
Also watch everything of his I can
And I never thought another could be as wonderful - then Matt...

Matt - sort of breaks my heart, he is the melancholy wonder, there is magic in Matt, this essence I cannot describe

Capaldi - is oh so delicious, he is the essential eccentric English man.
I was already enjoying his mercurial madness in the political arena.

We certainly differ on our opinion of Pertwee But that's ok
But I would be very careful calling Capaldi An English man He is a Scotsman or British. Not having a go at you, just a friendly heads up Cheers

Jon Pertwee is the man! Altho' having said that, I'm 100â„… expecting there to be a female incarnation of The Doctor fairly soon.
Tom Baker was good but from then on there was a tendency for the Doctors to go overboard with quirkiness. David Tennant's tweaker like expressions were too distracting for me.

Me Tom Baker purely because he's really the only one I know.

Just asked the eldest daughter and for her... 6, 8 9 and 10 but then because of the war DR, technically 9 IS 10, ten 11 etc..but why waffle about that.:conf: I will not ask the younger when she's home from school as I would be typing a reply for friggin hours. ( Yes.. they are both HUGE Whovians).

Tom Baker was the one I grew up on, so definitely him. Well truthfully I only really ever watched him and Peter Davison, after that I had grown out of it. So of those two, Baker.

Tennant has been the best of the new but I struggle with a lot of the new stuff, even though it's more adult the story telling has been sacrificed for more gee-whiz-bang. I happened to watch the first episode of City of Death a few weeks ago, and it was so wonderfully, gloriously SLOW.

. I happened to watch the first episode of City of Death a few weeks ago, and it was so wonderfully, gloriously SLOW.

It's certainly different compared to the new series isn't it? I love it. "You're a very beautiful woman, probably", and "What a wonderful butler, he's so violent!"

Doctor CHRISTIAN

ask-the-doctor-dr-christian-jessen-2.jpg

BBuXve6CAAAdMcF.jpg

yaaaasssss daddy

... for anyone that is interested in reading this short novel... here are my Doctors listed in the order that i like then and the reasons why...

...(1)... Tennant is... was and always will be my favourite... because?... well... he's David Tennant!!!!!... his Doctor was fiesty/whimsical/harsh/comedic/multi layered while talking/his mind wandered off into tangents etc... there are so many things about his Doctor I liked that I couldn't possibly write them all down lol!... (I must admit to a 'man crush' on David Tennant lol!)...

...(2)... Capaldi is very close behind... I'm loving his version more and more in each episode... it's too early really to give all of my reasons why obviously...

...(3)... McGann should've had more gigs with it... he had so much potential in my opinion... before Capaldi got the role it was rumoured that McGann might have got it... I would have loved to have seen that happen but now that I've seen Capaldi as The Doctor I'm satisfied that Capaldi got it... when Capaldi's stint is over I would love to see McGann get the role next... after all... he did say that he would love to do the role again... (I can only hope eh?)... his movie about Doctor Who kept the flame of interest flickering until the new series was revamped to what it is today... I will always love his role for that reason alone if nothing else...

...(4)... Hartnell because he was THE original and my most nostalgic one... he made the show what it is today... he carried the whole thing on his back to make the show work... I will always be grateful to him for that if nothing else... I loved his age/gruffiness/stubborness etc in his role as The Doctor...

...(5)... Davison because he was always so entertaining and his mind always wandered off in a whimsical way while in mid sentence... much like Tennant at times... he had so much going for him personality wise for me... he would've been in third place for me except for the reasons stated above about Hartnell and McGann... he was a real thinker on occasions and so flippant on other occasions... he was the first Doctor that made me really wish that I WAS The Doctor!... (another half 'man crush' possibly here at the time too lol!)...

...(6)... Ecclestone next... I agree... he was sassy... he was also mysterious mainly because he was the one that reinvented the role of The Doctor... no more of the foppish multicoloured 'Joseph and the technicloured coat' types of outfits... a cross between a bad-assed rock and roller and a science nabob type of character... as with Hartnell before... he carried the burden of making the revamped renewed show on his back too... I'll always be thankful of him for that too...

...(7)... Smith... he was always a bit too 'flippy floppy' for my liking to be honest... I think that his main intention was to be more outlandish than Tennant's one-off take on The Doctor... Tennant was a hard act to follow but Matt overplayed the zaniness of his take on it for me... he was waaaaay too whimsical for me... but still... he's still higher than the rest to come so I suppose that there was something about him that I liked eh?...

...(8)... Troughton next...his was a hard role to do for the fact that Hartnell's shoes would've been hard to fill... the show could've easily have folded if he didn't make it believable that a main character could be replaced via a regeneration... but yes... he sold it well!... all credit to him for it... what I liked about his version was that he didn't just try to imitate Hartnell's take on it... in fact he was the total opposite of Hartnell... he was a clownish buffoon but a real intelligent one too... he kept the show alive when it could've easily have folded right there and then... a great Doctor indeed!...

...(9)... Baker the first next... he was the weirdest/spookiest/maniacal and insane Doctor of them all... he always kept me on the edge as to what he was going to do next... I liked him and disliked him at the same time... I do think that he was in the role way too long though... it was one of the reasons why the show started to get a tad bit stale in this period for me... he should've been replaced a lot earlier than he was in the end in my opinion...

...(10)... McCoy was a strange but likable circus act to me... he was like a strange alien magician that kept pulling rabbits out of his hat/arse at weird moments in the show... he was always quite entertaining but it was as if he wasn't The Doctor at all on many occasions for me too... his version of The Doctor always had me bewildered but the poor bugger had a lot on his plate to try and rescue the show in my opinion... more on that below... a strange Doctor at times indeed!...

...(11)... Pertwee I never liked him at all!... not from the first 10 seconds of his regeneration to the last 10 seconds of his exit... I hated his foppish girly man take on his role of The Doctor... he deconstructed the true meaning of The Doctor to me... he played it mainly as the role of a detective/Sherlock Holmes type of character to me... it was as if he hated the role and was doing it just be be getting paid weekly as far as I was concerned... he made me lose interest in Doctor Who as far as the enjoyment factor of the show was concerned but I've never stopped watching the show... (I've never actually missed an episode from memory)... he just made me stop enjoying it for what it was... an Alien visitor that loved humans and helped them survive... I will never like him for that for that reason mainly... (I know... a bit harsh but he really riles me up when I see him in the role)...

...(12)... Baker number two... I dislike him even more than Pertwee!... yep!... even more than Pertwee!!!!... he was vain/bombastic/foppish to the nth degree/arrogant/nasty and mean towards his companions!... he was everything that Doctor Who wasn't!... he has even admitted in interviews many years ago that he didn't like playing the role of The Doctor because he thought the role was 'beneath him'... when Colin Baker was in this role he slowly destroyed everything that The Doctor was... he deconstructed the role to a mere shadow of what it used to be... he took the role down to its lowest level possible until the producers dumped him due to dying ratings... he killed the show as far as I'm concerned... poor Sylvester McCoy was brought in to resurrect the show to it's former glory but it was all too late... NOBODY could've rescued the show from that point onwards...

...McCoy was blamed for the demise of the show... he was just the poor schmuck in the role when it was cancelled... Colin Baker killed the show and I will never forgive him for it!... (I don't care if I'm being so harsh on him... he deserves it!)...

...so there you go... my take on all of them... being 61 years old I was brought up on Dr Who since the day that it started... I was 10 years old when I first saw it!... (fuck I'm old!)... lol!... (only in body... my mind is still about 10 or 11 years old according to my sweet darling wife lol!)... Daleks have been in my psyche all of that time!... I so love this show... it's part of me!... it's part of what I am!... that's why I love it so much!... Doctor Who forever!!!... cheers.

Interesting novel @Mr Stickyfingers
Maybe I will do mine, it would be quite different, but that's a good thing.
I'm a bit surprised at the hammering Pertwee is taking here. While he's not my personal favourite either, he seems to be well regarded by the fans.
And poor Colin Baker, ouch!

...yeah do yours for sure Meglos... it will be an interesting read... I am a bit harsh with Pertwee and especially Colin Baker I admit... as I said before... Colin Baker had an interview many years ago... (about a year or two after Dr Who was cancelled from memory)... and said during it that because he was still angry at being replaced by McCoy to try and save the show he snidely said that he felt that the role of The Doctor was beneath his acting abilities anyway so he didn't really care about being dumped from the show... what an unappreciative wanker!... it would've been an honour to others to play The Doctor!... he also said that he had some small pleasure at the demise of Dr Who under the stint of McCoy that replaced him!... what a turd!... not nice at all... talk about being bitter!... so yeah... ouch indeed!...

...I so wish that I could track that interview down... I've tried 'YouTubing' it but it's not there... hmmmm!... perhaps I'll try 'Dailymotion' and some others... I'll see how I go methinks!...

...Meglos... when you get to the Pertwee years in your review quests... (which are brilliant by the way)... could you let me know whether you think that he's playing The Doctor as more of a Sherlock Holmes character or a Detective/Policeman rather than as The Doctor?... I'm just curious as to whether you think the same thing... or any others... what are your takes on Pertwee?... is he more of a foppish girly man Police detective than an Alien Time Lord space traveller to any of you?... as I say... just curious... and please... anyone else... how about your reviews on each Doctor... I'd love to read them... just to see other peoples takes on them... I'm loving this thread... cheers.

Back