Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

last night I made home made bacon cheeseburgers. The meat patty was excellent, however the bread roll (Turkish bread) was too bready. View attachment 50452

Tonight I experimented with fried chicken. The chicken was super moist as I soaked it in buttermilk for nearly 24 hrs, but the coating needs work. It was pretty bland. Not bad for first time though :)
View attachment 50453

Gonna be eatin a LOT of salad this week....

Exceptional meat to cheese melt ratio Shaydee 9.8/10

It is so hard to find good chinese food where I live. The last time we got it, the fried rice had raw bits of what looked like those nasty bacon bits you get from the deli & some grey looking stringy meat in it. I wouldn't have fed it to a dog.

I miss good chinese food :(

That does not sound appetising. It's a shame you don't have a good place around you, all the good reason to travel out I suppose lol

Slobbering Suckotash ..... LOL - Spelling might be off the board - but you get the picture maybe?

You could collect those big wipes they advertise for KFC (if you ate there or could) - or I am sure a Diner that serves stuff like this, will provide warm Towels etc? I dunno - I am a country bumpkin atm, but if I served them, I would charge a hefty price - including for those warmedup towels ;)

Slobbering Suckotash ..... LOL - Spelling might be off the board - but you get the picture maybe?

You could collect those big wipes they advertise for KFC (if you ate there or could) - or I am sure a Diner that serves stuff like this, will provide warm Towels etc? I dunno - I am a country bumpkin atm, but if I served them, I would charge a hefty price - including for those warmedup towels ;)
Big wipes at KFC? The usual ones are too small, that's for sure. I do like a warmed, damp towel.

They were pork. Would make again fo sho!

Yeah I always collect any of those wipes you get from FF places, I always ask for extra ones and keep them in a little bag in the drawer. I do the same with salt & pepper sachets too... they are great for picnics and stuff like that.

PENNY PINCHER!!!
Laughing at the word sachet. Someone I know calls them sach ets, not sashays which always makes me smile.

images

I made ribs.. they were fall off the bone, finger lickin' goooooood.

Cooked them low & slow. Served with home made coleslaw.

View attachment 50801 View attachment 50802

Hi, these looks so good, can you give us the recipe & cooking method?
Do you cook them in a slow cooker?
I have not had much luck with ribs and I need to learn how to do them, favourite food for a few in my household.
( I don't get it myself, too much like dogfood if you ask me, chew bones with a tempting sauce, and that is the problem, when I haven't eaten something much I find it hard to cook)

Hi, these looks so good, can you give us the recipe & cooking method?
Do you cook them in a slow cooker?
I have not had much luck with ribs and I need to learn how to do them, favourite food for a few in my household.
( I don't get it myself, too much like dogfood if you ask me, chew bones with a tempting sauce, and that is the problem, when I haven't eaten something much I find it hard to cook)

I've never done them in a slow cooker although i've heard they are pretty good in the slow cooker. Took a few go's for me to get the ribs the way I wanted them but this way seems to work for me. I bought some smoky BBQ sauce and smothered the ribs in the sauce & left in the fridge overnight. Next day I let them come up to room temperature, popped them in a baking tray, added just a little bit of water in the bottom of the tray... about half a cup, or less. It's just to cover the bottom and so the ribs don't dry out. Put them on the bottom shelf of the oven on 120 degrees for about 6 hours. During that time I took them out & basted them about 4 times. Oh yeah.. I put them on the bottom of the oven, not the top, as the top of the oven is where it's hottest. You want them to slow cook but not with the hottest part of the oven. If they get too hot at the beginning, the meat seizes and doesn't fall off the bone.

When they are done, then I turn the oven up to about 160 degrees and put them at the top of the oven for about 15-20 mins... it caramalises the sauce. Also, just a little tip. If you get them from the butchers, ask them to trim the membrane off the underside of the ribs. Or you can do it yourself but it's fiddly. It goes really tough and it's most unpleasant even after 6 hours in the oven.

Thank you @shaydee, very clear and informative, will give it a go - probably not until summer is over though, 6 hours of oven will make us hot.
Slow cooker could work, then finish off in the oven for that last 15-20 mins maybe.
Thanks especially for that membrane/butcher tip, never heard that before.

I just ate the most beautiful fish for dinner, we need to up our fish eating a lot.

Thank you @shaydee, very clear and informative, will give it a go - probably not until summer is over though, 6 hours of oven will make us hot.
Slow cooker could work, then finish off in the oven for that last 15-20 mins maybe.
Thanks especially for that membrane/butcher tip, never heard that before.

I just ate the most beautiful fish for dinner, we need to up our fish eating a lot.

Deffo try the slow cooker. I hear ya about the oven heating up the house. If you try it, let us know how they turn out. :)

Reactions: kxk
Made fried brussels with bacon last night. omg so delicious. I could eat a massive plate full. Had salmon with it. Yum!

IMG_1978.JPG IMG_1982.JPG

Back