Skip to main content

What's for dinner?

One of my favourite meals ever is lentils and rice with care miles onion mixed through and also on top as garnish. Add a red and green cabbage salad, with a garlic, lemon olive oil dressing... I really could eat this everyday for the rest if my life. My family won't have it though :(

[MENTION=34226]jessy_girl[/MENTION] We are total opposites LOL. You cook vegan meals for your sister and I cook meals with meat for my parents.

I still eat things like cheese, eggs and I'll have a dash of milk in my coffee of a morning. I don't think I'll ever be able to give up cheese. It's weird because I don't even feel like I am a vegetarian, I just wanted to try something different for a while.

I would really appreciate it if you could get me some vegetarian recipe. That would be great! :)

Haha yes, total opposites. We really should switch. I definitely could benefit from eating more like you.

I will assemble some recipes for you shortly, I have some already if the top of my head that should be appropriate.

Also, not really related to dinner but I know you are interested in foods with health benefits, my sister has had me drinking this curious concoction lately as I've been pretty run down and I'm getting a cold. It's very simple, hot water, lemon & cayenne pepper with optional ginger. Apparently it is a natural detox which aids digestion and kick starts your metabolism, and it cleans your organs including your skin. My mum says that there is a special kind of fiber in lemons which help fight hunger cravings too, so that's a plus I suppose.

I just had to look up cayenne pepper. So it is basically just a chilli and looks like this right?

Cayenne-Pepper-Chilies-2.jpg

I actually have a few in the fridge. I've heard of the cayenne pepper and lemon detox diet, but just thought it was another one of those fad diets that will work, but once you go back to eating they way you were before you just gain it all back. I guess having a cup/glass of it in the morning would be good for you. I'm going to try it, but how do I use the pepper, do I just chop it up and put it in the liquid?
[MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] yes I'm back, it's been a while since I've been on here. How did your 1200 calorie a day diet go?

Yes definitely don't use it as your sole source of nutrition which is basically what those gimmicks are, but incorporating it into your diet is fine. Yes cayenne pepper is basically just chilli, probably a US term but as I have it in powdered form I still kind of think of it as traditional pepper. You can use it fresh and just dice up a small amount to the drink. I guess if you can't handle the spice you can easily omit the seeds, but I think it's part of it to keep the heat.

I just had to look up cayenne pepper. So it is basically just a chilli and looks like this right?

View attachment 38020

I actually have a few in the fridge. I've heard of the cayenne pepper and lemon detox diet, but just thought it was another one of those fad diets that will work, but once you go back to eating they way you were before you just gain it all back. I guess having a cup/glass of it in the morning would be good for you. I'm going to try it, but how do I use the pepper, do I just chop it up and put it in the liquid?
[MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] yes I'm back, it's been a while since I've been on here. How did your 1200 calorie a day diet go?
Lasted 4 and a bit weeks. Went on a family getaway and it was all over. A cup of water and half a lemon in the morning and before I sleep is a good help for me. That cayenne pepper thing sounds a little spicy for me. I'm pretty sure my insides will burn. Even that recipe you shared yesterday, I'd need to seed the chilli. How much did you end up losing from that raw organic dinner you were on?

HAHA [MENTION=35834]Sweet_Geek[/MENTION] I lasted about 4 weeks also, pretty sure I lost between 4-5KG and have not gained any back.... thank god!

[MENTION=34226]jessy_girl[/MENTION] I tried the pepper drink, I used real chilli and put chilli powder in it as well, it made me really sweaty, but I did not mind the hotness of it. I'll be having another one tomorrow.

Yummy pasta - sauce is an evolving invention.

Lots of tomatoes, lots of olive oil & butter,fresh basil, chorizo, garlic, cook until all mushy - dash of cream at the end, Yum. Don't have to have the chorizo - just the tomatoes is fantastic on any of the stuffed pastas/ravioli etc.

And dessert, strawberries, raspberries, real cream and meringue fluff. Our local fruit shop has unreal fruit always, and right now berries are out of this world.
Might whizz some mango for the fluff, hmm.

We are having daggy old fashioned sweets tonight.

Jelly, and jelly whip. And squeeeeee, I have the jelly in one of those fancy mould things I picked up from the op shop.
I have always wanted to try and make one of those pretty wobbly mould things.
Jelly whip is awesome, haven't had that since childhood, jelly with carnation milk whipped into it. Fluffy yum, and sweetest fresh berries.

Reactions: Jam
I had homemade Pumpkin Soup for dinner.

One of the good things about Autumn/Winter is I get to make soup again YUM!
Does anyone have any good soup recipes they want to share?

We are having daggy old fashioned sweets tonight.

Jelly, and jelly whip. And squeeeeee, I have the jelly in one of those fancy mould things I picked up from the op shop.
I have always wanted to try and make one of those pretty wobbly mould things.
Jelly whip is awesome, haven't had that since childhood, jelly with carnation milk whipped into it. Fluffy yum, and sweetest fresh berries.
Wow I have not had that jelly/carnation milk combo since I was a kid. Mum called it "flummery" and we had it on special occasions in her special wedding present dessert dishes, fearing for our lives if we broke one of them. I must make it sometime. Thanks for the reminder!

I had homemade Pumpkin Soup for dinner.

One of the good things about Autumn/Winter is I get to make soup again YUM!
Does anyone have any good soup recipes they want to share?

Do you make chicken & corn soup?
So easy, filling, tasty - it is the ONLY soup my teenager will eat.

It's just, cans of creamed corn, cans of corn kernels - I use 2 of each, less for less people.
With chicken and onion you have chopped up and cooked, added, with chicken stock - either home made or campbells or stock cubes.

Heat it all together, and before serving, beat a few eggs, when soup is very hot dribble the egg in and it cooks and looks a bit like fine noodles.

Some like a touch of soy when served.

Anyone have a good laksa recipe?

And I found out today you can make your own ricotta, easy just heat some milk with a few spoons of cream, add lemon, voila..
I have lots of uses for ricotta lately, some fluffy pancakes i want to make; a pasta sauce I made last week is easy and awesome =
ricotta - whip it
Add parmesan & a bit of basil pesto dip, whip again. Then just chuck hot pasta through it ( would be nice with chicken added too), so easy.

Are you abstaining from meat today? Cheesey omlettes and vegies for us.

I just made ricotta cheese - it is easy as and tastes so yummy, better than deli ricotta - and a good way to use milk past it's use by date.
And I plan on using it for fluffy hotcakes for breakfast tomorrow

I just made ricotta cheese - it is easy as and tastes so yummy, better than deli ricotta - and a good way to use milk past it's use by date.
And I plan on using it for fluffy hotcakes for breakfast tomorrow

Wow this sound a bit fancy and high tech - how do you make ricotta kxk? I'm not really a big fan of dairy but I actually don't mind ricotta as a base for a few things - ricotta cakes are definitely among them.

Wow this sound a bit fancy and high tech - how do you make ricotta kxk? I'm not really a big fan of dairy but I actually don't mind ricotta as a base for a few things - ricotta cakes are definitely among them.

It is unbelievably easy, and is likely to revolutionise my cooking now - lately discovered the many uses of ricotta, and now I can just whip up my own cheese, far out I feel like a farmer or something productive.
Ricotta fluffy pancakes for lunch. Ricotta gnocci. Ricotta everything.

So to make a miracle cheese in your kitchen -
2 litres full cream milk,
4 tablespoons of cream - I used ordinary supermarket cream
4 tablespoons of lemon juice or white vinegar - I used lemon, apparently vinegar is better

The cream is not vital - but it makes it much yummier. It is a great way to use up old milk/cream.

Heat your milk/cream, until about to boil, take off the heat and add your lemon/vinegar, return to heat simmer 2 minutes, stir only once or twice (stirring too much makes tough ricotta).

Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.

As soon as you put the lemon in curds start to form and float. Drain it all over a fine sieve, or one lined with cloth/muslin (I have none of that so it all just went into an average sieve).

So in summary, it's just heat and add something acidic.

I really only made this because my local IGA is a robbers paradise - they sold me milk on thursday before Good friday, that was past it's use by date, I didn't think to check.
They never take anything back, they are arseholes and make a living from delivering to the elderly and robbing them, prices are outrageous and I only buy milk and bread there.

I should print a guide to using old food and distribute it at IGA:)

Oh and apparently the whey left behind is useful in cooking and good for other stuff, good for your skin etc.

Awesome thanks @kxk that sounds unbelievably easy, I was imaging something really technical. Funnily enough just last night I was just looking at a recipe for ricotta gnocchi that sounded pretty tasty but a bit too meat-free for a carnivore like me, I might make it for someone else though with bonus points for doing so from scratch.

Food wastage sucks, anything that can eliminate waste is pretty good in my books. IGA also sucks!

Awesome thanks @kxk that sounds unbelievably easy, I was imaging something really technical. Funnily enough just last night I was just looking at a recipe for ricotta gnocchi that sounded pretty tasty but a bit too meat-free for a carnivore like me, I might make it for someone else though with bonus points for doing so from scratch.

Food wastage sucks, anything that can eliminate waste is pretty good in my books. IGA also sucks!

Yeah, and now I have discovered this - why didn't somebody tell me, I want to go hunting for more sneaky food secrets.
That would make a great book wouldn't it, sneaky food secrets.
Indians make an easy cheese too, might have to give that a go.

Ricotta is so very useful, so being able to whip it up on a whim is awesome.
And you cannot fail - I got a bit excited when the curds appeared magically and forgot about the simmer bit - put it back on & all is fine.
I imagine you could add flavours

Back