Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched that Columbo ep since it’s on YT. I thought it was entertaining enough. I was surprised that there was so much time when Peter Falk wasn’t on screen and the guest stars were. That wouldn’t happen today. The bit with the phones was confusing, operator connected calls don’t appear on phone records apparently, a useful thing for murderers. I think they missed the fact that the wife thought her husband called from the office, and was shot while on the phone. Yet no call was made from office at the time, and after the murderer messes up the office, he walks out leaving the phone still on the hook.

https://columbophile.com/2017/05/17/what-happens-when-columbos-cases-go-to-court/

Which brings me to my all-time favorite Columbo: Murder by the Book. The case against Ken Franklin for the murder of James Ferris depends on proving that the murder described in Ferris’ notes (which Franklin admits “is my idea, the only really good one I ever had,” and that “I must’ve told it to Jim over five years ago”) is, as Columbo tells it, “the part you used, practically word for word.”

We know that’s true because we saw the Ferris murder. But how does a prosecutor prove that the actual murder was committed “practically word for word” as Ferris’ notes described: “A wants to kill B. Drives B to a remote house and has him call his wife in city. Tells her he’s working late at the office. Bang, bang”? What’s the proof that Franklin wanted to kill Ferris? What’s the proof that Franklin drove Ferris to a remote house, or that Ferris called his wife to tell her he was working late at Franklin’s suggestion? To me, that’s the problem with proving Columbo’s theory in court. To prove the theory, you first have to prove that Franklin murdered Ferris. And if you can do that, why bother with the theory?

i remember my great grandma had a broad Lancashire accent. or at least i think it was. but it was northern anyhow.

my fav chocolate bar is cherry ripe. but what's interesting is that my mum told me that when she was pregnant with me she had a craving for cherry ripe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back