Skip to main content

What would Reepbot say (4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, i should read. i can't be intellectually lazy. if my brain fizzles than my soul does not sizzle.

because if i do not read, if i lose my ability to appreciate a bok, than my heart will be burined down in the black doom of nothingness.[DOUBLEPOST=1532968887][/DOUBLEPOST]daphne and donny= the perfect couple.

what a great episode of think tank. especially that tina arena question! every question on think tank should be a tina arena question.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...ffy-roseanne-and-other-wonder-women-1.3160086

Lynda Day from Press Gang
Lynda Day (Julia Sawalha) was the no-nonsense editor of a remarkably well-resourced school newspaper called the Junior Gazette that produced the kind of investigative journalism that, quite frankly, we at The Irish Times can only dream about.

She had a flirtatious relationship with a problematically-accented American named “Spike” (Dexter Fletcher), had frequent run-ins with the patriarchy in the shape of deputy headmaster Bill Sullivan, and wore unfeasibly large jumpers. Really huge jumpers. Seriously, they were massive.

Press Gang was funny and dark (the jumpers alone) and better than most adult dramas. The writer Steven Moffat went on to produce Doctor Who and Lynda Day became an icon for a generation of journalists too young to appreciate Watergate and consequently obsessed with breaking stories about school lunches.
Misgivings: Day didn’t give a damn about work/life balance or child labour laws. In retrospect she was a bit of a Thatcherite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Press_Gang

Big Finish Productions, which produces audio plays based on sci-fi properties, particularly Doctor Who, was named after the title of the final episode of the second series. Moffat himself is an ardent Doctor Who fan, and became the programme's lead writer and executive producer in 2009.

Scholar Miles Booy observes that as Steven Moffat was himself a fan of Doctor Who, he was able to ingrate the elements that TV fans appreciated, such as:

series finales with big cliff-hangers, rigorous continuity and a slew of running jokes and references which paid those who watched and rewatched the text to pull out its minutia. At the end of the second series, it is remarked that the news team have been following the Spike/Lynda romance 'since page one', and only the fans remembered – or discovered on reviewing – that "Page One" was the title of the first episode.[59]

Booy points out that Chris Carter and Joss Whedon would be acclaimed for these elements in the 1990s (in the shows The X-Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer), but "Moffat got there first, and ... in a children's TV slot. His was the first show to arrive with a Britain's fan's sensibility to formal possibilities."

press gang quotes:

Lynda: Don't you think you've got something to say to me?

Spike: Suddenly, she stood before him. Their eyes met. Especially hers. Y'know, you really ought to do something about that squint.

Lynda: I don't have a squint!

Spike: Oh no! Must be me!

Kenny: Here we go!

Tiddler: Yep

Lynda: So what made you come in tonight? Don't tell me you were frightened of little old me?

Spike: You know, if you did have a squint, it might actually improve your appearance.

Lynda: If I had a squint, it would certainly improve yours.

Spike: Oh, were you being funny there? I've heard rumours about you doing this.

Lynda: I've a sense of humour, same as anyone!

Spike: Yeah, you told me once, but I thought you were joking!

Lynda: That's probably because I always laugh when I look at you!

Spike: Ha! You laugh? We'd have to use electrodes!

Lynda: Yeah, on you!

Kenny: Look, can we just stop this, please?

Spike: Tell her, she's the one that needs relaxing!

Lynda: I'm perfectly relaxed!

Spike: You're so uptight, your feet don't reach the ground!

[Lynda looks down]

Spike: Made you look!

Colin: ...and I mean that, Kenny. From-the-Heart City. Total Sincerityville. You're gonna be big. And I mean that. Right from the heart.

[Pats his chest]

Kenny: The other side.

Colin: What?

Kenny: Your heart's on the other side.

Colin: Oh right! That's what you get for practicing in the mirror.

Kenny: Do you realise, if it wasn’t for a coincidence of floorboard repair and post fifty odd years ago, I wouldn’t exist? I just find that weird. Scary. My whole life is the result of some dumb mistake. I feel like I’m not supposed to be here. Is that sounding, like, really dumb and stupid?
Lynda: Yes. Come on, let’s get some more coffees and see who we can fire from graphics.
Kenny: Well, I’m sorry if my problems are not providing enough entertainment for you, Lynda!
Lynda: Oh, don’t be like that, Kenny. They usually do.
Kenny: I want to discuss this.
Lynda: Kenny, what's the point? You'll only start going on about philosophy and destiny and the meaning of life. I hate those. [To the waitress] Actually, forget the biscuits, he's putting on weight.
Kenny : Try and understand. I want to discuss a problem I am having with my closest friend.
Lynda: Haven't you got any other problems?
Kenny : Specifically, the problem I have concerning the letter.
Lynda: But I don't like that one!
Kenny [to the waitress]: I am not putting on weight, I will have those biscuits, thank you.
Lynda [to the waitress]: Just the one, though.
Kenny: Look, let me put it another way -.
Lynda: A really different way?
Kenny: Remember that time I kept getting a wrong number? I was trying to phone my aunt.
Lynda: Oh, right, yeah. The girl in Dublin.” [To the waitress] He fell in love with a wrong number!
Kenny: Look, I really clicked with that girl. Now, suppose I had actually found out her number, and we’d met up? It’s possible, I’m only saying possible, that we could have ended up some day together. Married, with kids, or whatever.
Lynda: Some people get over a wrong number faster than this.
Kenny: That's not the point I'm making. Now just think of all the future yet unborn whose existence could depend on something as dumb as a wrong number.
Lynda [to the waitress]: Actually, forget the coffees, I'm worried about his blood pressure, too.

Lynda [on a Children's TV show]: Strangely enough, I don't feel like taking advice from a man who spends his time behind a sofa with his arm up an artificial cat.

has anyone here ever met any celebrities?

i haven't.
YES....lots, different types in different jobs I had, what do you call a celeb?

Most impressive...

And Julian Burnside, and Lex Lasry
And Gov General

There are two types of people in the world.
Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Not really. But I met a couple before they were famous (or "famous").
Was in the same classes at school with a girl who had a #54 hit years later.
Knew Sia when she was a singing student.

Reactions: kxk
Not really. But I met a couple before they were famous (or "famous").
Was in the same classes at school with a girl who had a #54 hit years later.
Knew Sia when she was a singing student.

did she display a fondness for chandeliers back then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back