Skip to main content

Time to change

@Alias thank you for your support. There are so many lovely people here. I'm sorry to hear you've had mobility issues yourself. It is nowhere near the vicinity of fun.

...Atlanta Rose... good on you for going with this... it always takes a lot of courage by anyone to start something like this... as you can see there are quite a few really kindhearted and caring people within these forums... (something that you may not find on many other forums)... I can only see you succeeding in your quest with all of us behind you... as somebody said in an earlier post... keep us updated on your progress... it's all about setting targets and taking baby steps I guess... again... good on you... cheers.

Thanks, @Mr Stickyfingers

You're right, the support in this forum is really great. I will absolutely update this post with my progress. So far I am on day 7 and haven't cheated yet, except for wine. I know it is empty calories, but I am giving up all of my favourite foods, I couldn't give up wine as well! As you said, baby steps...

Thanks, @Mr Stickyfingers

You're right, the support in this forum is really great. I will absolutely update this post with my progress. So far I am on day 7 and haven't cheated yet, except for wine. I know it is empty calories, but I am giving up all of my favourite foods, I couldn't give up wine as well! As you said, baby steps...

Well done! A lot of puritans will say you must give up alcohol, but honestly considering all the other changes you are making in your life I think the occasional wine is fine, you will still see results. :dummy1: steps is exactly right. Good work on not cheating, you are already doing better than most by this point.

How are you finding the Lite n Easy program so far? Is the food as tasty and substantial as they claim?

Most of it is, actually. This morning breakfast was baked beans, cheese and bacon all mixed together on multigrain toast. Morning tea was a pear fruit cup. Both were pretty tasty. There have only been a couple of things that I haven't liked so far, but that is a personal taste thing.
I am not used to eating so much for breakfast, so that is a new thing I am adjusting to, as well as having morning and afternoon tea - I feel like I am almost eating all day. I find myself hungry and ready for dinner about an hour or so before I get home from work, which is irritating but bearable.
I am going to buy some scales on Saturday, to start seeing some results (hopefully!)

That's pretty good then, I always wonder about programs like this, mostly the portion sizes, but that's good that it doesn't disappoint. Of course you're not going to like everything, but it still sounds like good quality and it would be nice eating real food. If I didn't have so much free time on my hands I would consider a program like this, how awesome to have nutritional meals delivered to your house. But seeing as I don't really work I would feel slightly lazy outsourcing grocery shopping and cooking. Your work and home situation makes perfect sense for it though.

Hopefully the scales show some kind of pay off for your hard work, but if not be patient!

...isn't it usually at least two weeks or more before you start seeing some sort of change to your weight and metabolism when people start their new regime?... apparently that's why a lot of people lose heart with their weight at first and give up saying... "what a load of crap this is" type statements... I know a friend of mine at work at the time didn't see any results for about a month until she saw a reduction of weight... she came so close to giving up but she stayed with it thankfully and lost the weight she wanted to within a year I think... then she never looked back... she looked and felt great because she did stick to her guns... it renewed her self confidence in herself too... I guess you can't expect a lot of change in the short term but hanging in there will pay off in the long run from what I've seen with her...

...I know that one of the things she did do to keep herself on track was to reward herself with a favourite meal that she used to eat all the time at the end of the month... (instead of her food from the weight loss program)... and she would only eat half of what she used to (her choice to do so)... she told us that over the 12 months she gave herself 12 rewards... she also said that when she ate (just for an example) pork ribs that because she only ate half of what she used to she found that it wasn't the amount she ate but she just savoured the taste of it... as soon as she tasted it she didn't really need to eat all of it... the taste alone was enough to satisfy her...

...I know myself that for a while I used to be a big beer drinker and decided to give it up completely because my doctor told me that I was nudging towards doing some damage if I didn't cut back after looking at my blood test results... she said that if I just cut it down by a third then it would be a lot better for me... well me being me... I stopped drinking beer altogether for 3 months until my next blood test and she was shocked at the difference in the results... well that 3 months is now 10 months since I made that decision...

...I proved two things to myself... I'm not an alcoholic and also my will power outweighed my desire for beer... I was pretty happy with myself to say the least... I now only have a beer on social occasions and when we go to a club for dinner etc... you know what?... as with my friend above... when I now have a beer I really do enjoy the taste of it instead of just glugging them down for the sake of it... as I said... it was all done in baby steps but I managed it quite easily in the end... I hung in there...

...I'm now a rum and wine drinker in moderation (rum mostly)... and as jessy_girl said... a wine is a great reward for having a go at this... and trying not to give everything up at the same time is a sensible choice in my mind... anyhow AtlantaRose... hang in their sweetheart... we're all behind you... cheers.

Thanks for the lovely messages. It is so nice to have the support in here.
So, Day 10 and I have stuck to the program (mostly). The only thing I have allowed myself is some alcoholic beverages... a girl needs something to keep her sane! However, I have switched from rum and coke to vodka and soda, so less calories.
Had a big cry today. I finally bought some scales and found out the number. It is even worse than I thought - 16kg worse than I thought. I can't believe I let things get this bad. So, I called my BFF, had a cry, and got told that I can do this. I am glad she has faith in me. I am so grateful.
Now I just need to find it in myself.
I took a photo on my phone of the numbers on the scales, so that next time I am tempted to go off program, I am going to look at my starting numbers to remind myself what I am doing, and why. The scales I bought told me my BMI, water %, fat %, AMR, muscle % and bone mass. ALL of the numbers were scary and huge.
So, according to my new fancy scales, my body uses over 4000 calories a day. Being on a diet of 1500 calories a day should start showing some results within the first week. I hope. I really need to see that this is working...

Good on you @AtalantaRose, a really good effort so far. It is pretty confronting seeing the actual figures, but it sounds like you are using them as motivation which is good, it would be so easy to just declare it as hopeless and give up so well done for not doing that!

You should start seeing some results, simple science suggests you will, just make sure you are both realistic and patient. Have you set yourself any measurable mini goals, or are you just aiming to see any drop at all?

Thanks, @jessy_girl
Today was my first official weigh in since the disaster that was last week's wake up call. I have stuck to the program in so far as food goes, but had a bit more wine than I should have.
The results? I have lost almost 7kg in the last week. Yep. A kilo a day. I have to say, I am mighty proud of myself right now.
I know that I will not get such a big loss every week. I know it is easier to lose the big numbers in the beginning. I am being realistic.
But... I am totally taking this as a win! Hurrah for me!
I haven't set any mini goals yet. I know I should, because the experts say it helps. I guess it is just 10kg increments at the moment. When I get to under 100kg I will set more defined goals, as the weight loss slows. I am also using clothing as motivation - I am looking forward to needing to buy smaller clothes!
Thanks again to everyone for the support. It has been amazing and really helpful.

Well done @AtalantaRose! You've done so well to stick with it, which shows you're in the right mindset which is already half the battle won.

Out of interest are you a red or white kind of girl?

Awesome work @AtalantaRose - well done, it must be really encouraging to see your hard work paying off. I think the reason mini goals are encourage are to make the overall goal seem less daunting and to not be discourage along the way at still having so much further to go. But I'd say your 10 kilo increments seems like a fair way to approach it for now, do you have specific timeframes or just seeing how it goes? You've nearly ticked off your first goal already - such great progress!

Thanks, @Consuela - I wish the battle were half won! I think it is only just starting, to be honest. I am mostly a white wine girl, but enjoy a cheeky red when in the mood. Unfortunately, they both have the same calories, which isn't fun. If only booze didn't count!
@jessy_girl - thank you so much for your constant support in here. It is so good to know that I have somewhere to come and talk about it - I worry that my friends and family will get bored hearing about it. No specific timeframes. I will be happy to keep the weight loss over 1kg a week for at least the next six months. That is the minimum, for me. Obviously, I will be aiming for more. I have about 100kgs to lose, so this is definitely a long term fight.

You're going really well, AtlantaRose! Congratulations! I'll have a lovely glass of bubbly tonight to toast your success. :p

Hihi, im in a similar position and have been for years :/ i lost the 70kg in my mid 20's but i put it back on >.< so now just in the process of getting back into it.

I cant stress enough how important it is to measure yourself as well as weigh yourself because the scales can be very deceiving, even though you may not see any results on the scales you still may of lost centimeters. stupid muscle weighs more than fat blah blah

Dont be afraid of doing weights either, weights are just as important as cardio.

Also for those days where you just feel too crap to move there are some great "seated exercise" videos on youtube like this one

edit: i'll pm you my details and if ever you want to chat dont be afraid to contact me! :)

...AtlantaRose... way to go sweet lady!... well done!... you seemed to have touched a raw nerve with some of us within these forums with telling us all about your journey... it really takes a brave step to openly reveal personal battles to others in the public... obviously others within these forums have had their own battles in some way or another... they are people that will be able to help you quite a lot with their own private revelations to you... it really is a good sense of feeling to know that others within these forums are caring enough to share that with you... everyone on this thread rocks!... keep going AtlantaRose... keep going... cheers.

Great job @AtlantaRose :geek:

7kg is a really good number! Not too high which would not be good for you, also not to low which could discourage if you only lost a small amount.

Back