Skip to main content

Tim Dormer back in the House

I think Tim Dormer's response has been somewhat interpreted to whatever you feel is right.
Probably the main part for me is :
"sorry to tell you they don't give a shit about what you guys on here think they have done to your precious tv show."
Now this is something I have pondered over in years gone by. Viewers in social media continually post how 'this is wrong; that shouldn't happen; they should do this & that." Frankly, I'd find that a boring show pandering to the masses, not trying to surprise people with a twist in anyway.
Is this how people want a show to be? To do exactly as they say? To NOT try something different? What would the point of that show then become?

I'm less than underwhelmed with surprise that 'they' don't care what if you think the show is all wrong, etc etc. Because obviously as intelligent people you would have tuned out & not wasted time online discussing something that displeases you so much.

Every year we hear at the start of the series that 'it's not as good as some other year' but still people watch & discuss the series. As the show gets going, more things develop & once again it's an OK show, etc etc.
The one & only thing lacking this year is spontaneity & perhaps Tim's injection was hoping to give that to them? Maybe the Execs felt (as I have just said) that every year has a slow beginning & Tim's 'pouncing' on them may just be the spark that was needed? Who knows, but certainly the dynamics have changed now & we may just see some natural interactions evolve rather than just on great big schoolies experiment. I wait in judgement.

And besides, as Kaz said in another thread 'there's nothing else on at the moment'.
True waits for the walking dead

Is this how people want a show to be? To do exactly as they say? To NOT try something different? What would the point of that show then become?

Yeah listen mate.

If you're gonna try and tell me, after I've worked on a website for 13 years, that we have edited something...

Your post is kind of confusing. You say that people shouldn't be discussing what happens on the show and that any audience feedback would make a boring show.

You also insinuate that the producers are trying new things. Well I have to disagree with you on that. Bringing back Tim Dormer is rehashing something from the past, not something from the future.

What's more last night was pandering to the masses. Even Tim Dormer has said it (read a few pages back in this thread). And yes TV networks have to appeal to wide audiences. But you can appeal to wide audiences without pandering.

You also say that show is only lacking spontaneity. I think it also lacks chronology, narrative structure and editing for an adult audience.

I know there are many people out there who enjoyed last night's episode, but the common feedback is that they enjoyed Tim, and nothing else.

The whole situation just makes me so sad. I really loved big brother. I loved all the twists that it used to have. I loved live updates and uncut. I loved Friday night live. It's just not the same and I don't think it will be again. I keep hanging on in the hopes it'll get better but it's so hard to do so when you're confused all the time because you don't really understand the contestants.

you're just a fan that knows more about the industry than me then?

I guess that's the case, dude.

It's honestly how every network works - generally they'll have a rep at the tapings/editing of shows who is in contact with the higher-ups and makes the ultimate call on what gets into an episode and what doesn't. If Alex were to go against them, he'd likely land himself in hot water and potentially lose his job. No entertainment (or lack thereof) is worth that, imo.

I think, if someone e-mails or PM's you something, that is their way of explicitly telling you that it should be kept secret.
its also an unwritten rule (or in most cases a legal statement as the footer) to any email

Well after watching last night, I kinda got the feeling Tim felt really really uncomfortable just being in there. From reading his response in that email, I understand now why he did it, and Kudo's to Tim for doing so. I'm sure he will be well aware of any backlash or peoples' opinions about it all too, and he would have really given the decision to go back a great deal of thought. I highly doubt Tim does anything without thinking it through. He knows what he is doing so lets just wait and see what the man himself says, if he ever comes back to comment.

For me personally, I was excited to see him back on the show again, no matter what role it was in. I'd love to see Tim be Big Brother and have total control over that house lol

18122_600.gif
How dare you not use a gif from the Promise to Try scene in Truth or Dare.

Yeah listen mate.

If you're gonna try and tell me, after I've worked on a website for 13 years, that we have edited something...
Nice Gretel shout out there but what I said was it was interpreted, after reading your summary & then the original a few posts later I took a different spin on some key points there. But then you took a different spin on things I said also rather than reading the words presented and hence became confused about it all.

At no stage did I say people shouldn't be discussing the show, I believe that is a fundamental of producing a show like this. Feedback gives a greater insight as to what demographic is watching the show. Using that knowledge they can continue to bring forth new tasks & direction to the show.

Time was a 'known' entity from the past but in no way can you call his visit rehashing the past. Tim wasn't part of the experiment, he was holding the test tube & giving it a swirl around to see what would sink & what would rise to the top. As for new things, well so far the pairs thing has to be counted as such (whether it be good or bad) and the season has just begun so the jury is out on that.

They put Tim back in; every year people will say 'oh so & so should be back there, they'd make it interesting' but that's about as far as it goes with 'pandering'. What I meant was going along with the MANY suggestions they would read about the show from here & other social media outlets. "bring back this".. " start doing that" .. the ideas are endless & yet even those ideas have some people thinking "omg, no that is a stupid idea". So where do they go from there? Do something that some want & some hate? There will always be some people who think they could do better & if that became a reality there would be others sitting here (just as many here are) saying "They don't care what we think, how dare they!?" You can't please everyone & if you did, there's really no 'entertainment' in that. Expecting the unexpected is entertainment. Doing exactly what the masses expect has been the death of many shows over time.

I perhaps should have phrased that as 'the house is lacking spontaneity'. Of course it lacks chronology with such a short airing time they try keeping 'like' things together and running that whole scenario then go back to the next one. It is a confusing aspect this year.
I didn't enjoy last night's ep as it was just another crying fest which took away the focus on what could have been good viewing.

Overall, the show is in its early stages for this year, only time will tell what will evolve, hopefully as Tim said 'naturally'.

So will there be any ramifications on Timmy D now that he's revealed all that?
Nah, they pick and choose who's bad & who isn't ....
Jason is norteeee for the watch (he's obviously not in the loop)
Lawson has access to his circus & whatever stationary he wants whenever he wants (so he's in BB's good books)

More likely than not Tim was told to release it to make out likes he's a free spirit not on a contract or anyfing :p

I guess the over 30's (I bloody hope you are all over 30) are the ones that were with Bb from day dot. We were adults when it started and know exactly how the show works and what it's all about. We are the worse audience they could have. From their point of view I can understand why they want half brained 20 year olds being their biggest audience.

I'm sad that this might be the last season of bb Australia. I am passionate about the show and what it's (supposed) to be about.

The last time they pulled silly stunts like this was season 8 with Corey worthington and that was where it ended :(

Just to forewarn those who might have a fit -
(thanks @Veronica2005)

timdormer
11 minutes ago
Last time I left the Big Brother house as a winner, tonight tune into @bbau9@channel9 for my full debrief live on the couch with @Soniakruger on my time spent with the new housemates over the weekend. How did they cope the morning after the eventful party I gate crashed? What does the new #davidbbau9 #shavid look like? & who do I choose as the first individual HOH?

Just to forewarn those who might have a fit -
(thanks @Veronica2005)

timdormer
11 minutes ago
Last time I left the Big Brother house as a winner, tonight tune into @bbau9@channel9 for my full debrief live on the couch with @Soniakruger on my time spent with the new housemates over the weekend. How did they cope the morning after the eventful party I gate crashed? What does the new #davidbbau9 #shavid look like? & who do I choose as the first individual HOH?

image.jpg

I guess the over 30's (I bloody hope you are all over 30) are the ones that were with Bb from day dot. We were adults when it started and know exactly how the show works and what it's all about. We are the worse audience they could have. From their point of view I can understand why they want half brained 20 year olds being their biggest audience.

I'm sad that this might be the last season of bb Australia. I am passionate about the show and what it's (supposed) to be about.

The last time they pulled silly stunts like this was season 8 with Corey worthington and that was where it ended :(
Nope, not all of us. I'm not even 23 yet and I've been dedicated since Launch '01.

I'm not even sure @Tim and @vid are 30 yet either?

I have some EXCLUSIVE audio of a crossover between Big Brother and The Block that will be happening in the next few weeks. It will be on the podcast being recorded tonight.

It's a world first biggest surprise in the history of Big Brother and will shake up the house and change the game forever.
Interesting.....

Back