Skip to main content

Things That Make You Laugh

Yeah Cats is certainly …. something.
I couldn’t not watch it, due to my considerable obsession with musical theatre (side note: I just saw Wicked for the 40th time on Saturday night hehe). So perhaps my opinion is not of interest, but I kinda agree with @up_all_night it is an interesting watch in some ironic and unironic ways. So many big names and some individually interesting performances.
However Cats is one show I have never even actually seen on stage.

Anyway, the ALW story is pretty funny. But is the airline part actually truth?

Yeah Cats is certainly …. something.
I couldn’t not watch it, due to my considerable obsession with musical theatre (side note: I just saw Wicked for the 40th time on Saturday night hehe). So perhaps my opinion is not of interest, but I kinda agree with @up_all_night it is an interesting watch in some ironic and unironic ways. So many big names and some individually interesting performances.
However Cats is one show I have never even actually seen on stage.

Anyway, the ALW story is pretty funny. But is the airline part actually truth?
40th time!😮
That beats the amount of times I've seen The Sound Of Music 😂

Should I aim to make it to 50 this season in Sydney? Haha
Definitely!
My mum was responsible for the vast majority of my visits to The Sound Of Music from about 8 - 12.
And then every time it came on the TV I had to watch it.
I weaned myself off it about 10 years ago - but I did go to the sing-a-long show in Sydney round about 10 years ago!

This is great (even funnier if you watch at half speed so you can catch all the titles):

Last edited:
How is the new Sydney production @bleachy_dude

I saw Tina the other week. Un-fucking-believable. Probably the best production I’ve ever seen.
Tina is pretty amazing. I’ve only seen it once but I’ll try see it again before it leaves Sydney at the end of Dec. I enjoyed it far more than I even thought I might.

Yeah the new Wicked production is very good. I saw it night one of previews and again a week later and I saw a bit of improvement between the two. I reckon in a month or so they will be brilliant (at times it still feels like they were overthinking their lines and cues ). Tomorrow night is officially opening night. I do have to say that I have been particularly impressed with the ensemble. They are brilliant.
Courtney brings a lot of energy to Galinda and Sheridan (Elphaba) has a great voice, but still settling into the role imo. I’m not completely sold on Todd as the Wizard and he’s the one I noticed the most out of time etc.
I really enjoyed Liam Head as Fiyero and particularly Shewit as Nessarose.

Overall currently I would give it 7.5/10 but anticipate it going much higher as the season goes on.

In terms of Elphaba I’m not sure anyone will ever reach Jemma Rix level to me. Jemma is my favourite person I’ve ever seen onstage in anything.

Her performance of Heroes Live Forever at the Melbourne Cup a few years ago is my all time favourite live performance I’ve ever heard. I wish I had a HD copy of this:

Tina is pretty amazing. I’ve only seen it once but I’ll try see it again before it leaves Sydney at the end of Dec. I enjoyed it far more than I even thought I might.

Yeah the new Wicked production is very good. I saw it night one of previews and again a week later and I saw a bit of improvement between the two. I reckon in a month or so they will be brilliant (at times it still feels like they were overthinking their lines and cues ). Tomorrow night is officially opening night. I do have to say that I have been particularly impressed with the ensemble. They are brilliant.
Courtney brings a lot of energy to Galinda and Sheridan (Elphaba) has a great voice, but still settling into the role imo. I’m not completely sold on Todd as the Wizard and he’s the one I noticed the most out of time etc.
I really enjoyed Liam Head as Fiyero and particularly Shewit as Nessarose.

Overall currently I would give it 7.5/10 but anticipate it going much higher as the season goes on.

In terms of Elphaba I’m not sure anyone will ever reach Jemma Rix level to me. Jemma is my favourite person I’ve ever seen onstage in anything.

Her performance of Heroes Live Forever at the Melbourne Cup a few years ago is my all time favourite live performance I’ve ever heard. I wish I had a HD copy of this:

Jemma Rix was pure class. Never heard anyone sing Defying Gravity the way she does it. Very impressive!

Thanks for the rundown! :)

Back