Skip to main content

The Weather Thread

roofs came off, sea containers danced, light planes flipped, 10,000 lost power ... and I slept soundly through it all while our NAS continued/completed its scheduled backup to a USB drive.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/24921883/severe-weather-hits-perth-south-west/
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/t...rm-hits-perth-south-west-20140908-10dr1j.html

Damn, can't find the picture I saw earlier of a house with no roof and a caption of "uninsured owner".

The pictured house was a dog house and the owner was a dog.

That's Pert for ya ! :)

2nd part of the storm due to hit later today and with any luck, the power will go out just before tonight's launch.

Rather that than the power/internut go out tomorrow during the launching of Bungie's "Destiny" ! :)

regarDS

My house is going "wooooo...!"

It does that when the wind comes from a certain direction. (Which gives us about 4 hours early warning of bad weather!)

It used to keep us awake but now we can just sleep through it.

My house is going "wooooo...!"

It does that when the wind comes from a certain direction. (Which gives us about 4 hours early warning of bad weather!)

It used to keep us awake but now we can just sleep through it.
Mine is too and I get the odd 'debris' (twigs?) hitting the window as well. lol

melb aint fairing much better tbh, "wooo" is the song of the local power lines and half the doors. the trees we have trimmed are at least not hitting the house next door. its a west wind which is normal and doesn't bring down many trees cause they do grow better roots against the normal winds. that weird "fuk it" wind which seems to roll all over the place might be an issue. last 'fuk it' wind landed a tree in my house.

Bloody hell, Melbourne has been raining non stop for hours, anyone getting drowned?

This is bad for bush fires later isn't it?

I find it difficult to imagine how you/people live in freezing temps.
Just going to visit the snow here is exhausting.

And we do not deal with anything like the kind of frigid temps you get.

Must be expensive too, all that extra clothing, heating, stuff???

And i know you probably look at our 48C and think OMG

Rain stopped - started again, it's that soaking you haven't had a drink in ages kind of rain.

I find it difficult to imagine how you/people live in freezing temps.
Just going to visit the snow here is exhausting.

And we do not deal with anything like the kind of frigid temps you get.

Must be expensive too, all that extra clothing, heating, stuff???

And i know you probably look at our 48C and think OMG

Rain stopped - started again, it's that soaking you haven't had a drink in ages kind of rain.

When backpacking in the UK in 1992 it was a 30C day. All the poms were moaning about the heat and one asked me why I didn't seem to be hot. I just told them this was a mild summer day in Perth and that only got "really hot" when it hit 40C... There eyes just popped at that thought.

36C tomorrow btw... 25th Nov.2014

Today was the first day it felt like summer was actually here, and not in a good way, in that annoyingly muggy cant cool down but not sunny enough to goto the beach kind of way... only taken till end of Feb

Back