Skip to main content

The Voice 2015 Australia

This really isn't very good is it?
Most of tonight's just annoyed me, and the others were forgettable, I don't see any star potential anywhere.

was only half assedly watching last night so not really sure what happened to Ollie :/
So even though Ollie performed better she went with Chris because the song was wrong for him?

was only half assedly watching last night so not really sure what happened to Ollie :/
So even though Ollie performed better she went with Chris because the song was wrong for him?

Yes, it was one of those ridiculous moments when the person who performed better loses, due to some unforseen potential in the other one.
Jessie blamed herself for the song choice, so although Ollie performed better, she felt she had sabotaged Chris the most.

Ollie seemed majorly pissed off, understandably!
(but that's what you get for choosing Jessie J)

Yes, it was one of those ridiculous moments when the person who performed better loses, due to some unforseen potential in the other one.
Jessie blamed herself for the song choice, so although Ollie performed better, she felt she had sabotaged Chris the most.

Ollie seemed majorly pissed off, understandably!
(but that's what you get for choosing Jessie J)

Yep, I was only half watching it too, and agree completely. It was just all kinds of awkward. The battle rounds haven't been very impressive this year, even the judges look like they are pulling wtf?? faces most of the time. And how on earth is 3 competing/singing at the same time going to be any good?

The contestants this year aren't amazing, it's true. I haven't seen anyone who has blown me away, some of them are quite good, most are average. The trio rounds sounds like an opportunity to potentially lose a couple of the better ones at once, it's probably going to be quite messy.

Yep, I was only half watching it too, and agree completely. It was just all kinds of awkward. The battle rounds haven't been very impressive this year, even the judges look like they are pulling wtf?? faces most of the time. And how on earth is 3 competing/singing at the same time going to be any good?
At the risk of repeating myself, this whole thing just shows how they couldn't care less about the talent. The Voice is all about the ratings and the judges! It's all about making controversial, water cooler #trending television.

David Knox at TVTonight wrote an article about it:
http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2015/07/why-the-battle-rounds-are-the-worst-part-of-the-voice.html

Why the Battle Rounds are the worst part of The Voice
July 21st, 2015 By David Knox 14 commentsFiled under: News,

It was Gail Page who said it best ahead of her Battle Round on The Voice: “It’s not natural to sing over another singer.”

Unless you’re talking duets or more, she is right. Even then an artist sings ‘with’ another performer, not against.

A lead vocalist should be just that: the lead. Yet the Battle Rounds format of The Voice pits singer against singer where show-off notes are the prime target, not the interpretation of lyrics, storytelling, stage presence or even musicality.

With its boxing-ring, and goading by coaches to put “blood on the stage” the show turns the volume up to 10, with a frenzied gladiator audience that is even ‘sweetened’ with arena cheering.

Pushed into two minutes of stalking their prey, suddenly singers are expected to sing in styles other than their own. Crooners are prodded to become divas. Singer-guitarists are stripped of their instrument. Reggae singers are pitted against soulful duos. Finding a satisfactory key that complements both male and female voices fairly is a constant challenge. A song like Stephen Sondheim’s Somewhere is no longer about finding “a place for us” but a place that is winner takes all. Bitch.

While the Blind Auditions allow a performer to enter the stage largely on their own terms, the Battle Rounds have been noise-inducing, lacking humility and performer collaboration.

Thankfully coach Jessie J. has had the temerity to question some of the choices -the distracting, revealing outfits, and a lack of vocal light and shade.

But even her acts succumb to the format demands that insist this isn’t about being nice on stage. It isn’t about sharing a stage, it’s about Upstaging. A good coach should really be teaching one about being generous as a performer.

While The X Factor format similarly asks its judges to critique ‘rival teams’, these reality-variety hybrids are all about the drama, not the talent.

Oh for the good old days of Australian Idol.

Oh for the good old days of Idol indeed!

Oh dear, I liked her, it's a shame things haven't worked out for her.
She was one of my faves during her season but didn't really love her attitude post-win.

All that aside though, I do feel for her and hope she gets the help she needs to get her life back on track and clean from that horrible drug!

Wasn't she on some d-grade celebrity boot camp weight loss show some years back? I didn't watch it all, I think it was axed after one season?

Wasn't she on some d-grade celebrity boot camp weight loss show some years back? I didn't watch it all, I think it was axed after one season?
Yeah I didn't watch it, I kinda have some recollection it might have even been axed half way through the first season. Excess Baggage or something like that.

I met her (I was a serious idol fanatic for a while) and she was quite lovely I remember. She came across down to earth.

Whatever her pain with all this, I hope she finds a way out

#BringBackAussieIdol !

Last year I only just made it through the battle rounds, not sure if I will get further this year.

I'm sure Channel 10 have toyed with the idea surely. Not sure if there's room for another talent show but if be ok with this. You just know they'd mess with the format somehow though and ruin it.

Aw poor Kate. I thought she was doing much better these days? I hope she is ok.

Does she have a book out or did I imagine that?

Back