Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

So I was unaware of the low angle at which RAT swabs are meant to be inserted.

Since rat tests I only really have come to understand the nasal cavities. And I’ve had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction surgery some years ago. I think at the time of my operation I didn’t want to look at pics or understand … just wanted them to fix my nose hahah.
Anyway, when you stick the test stick back as opposed to up it hurts a lot less too!

So who's had it now, and who hasn't?
I've still managed to avoid it, while I know heaps of people who have had it or got it.
And all the symptoms seem so different.

I got it in January. We were away for New Years and a friend brought it with them.
We were staying in a big house with about 15 of us - 10 of us got it, the other 5 didn't.

The night before we left I was feeling a bit lethargic, but just put it down to the festive season. The following morning I woke up with a sore throat and instantly knew I'd caught it. We went home, but due to the RAT test shortages, couldn't confirm. Ended up lining up in a PCR queue for a few hours to get turned away. The next day I lined up for about 5 hours. First 2 days were awful, couldn't sleep, body aches, night sweats, ridiculously run down. It was a bloody nightmare, after that it just felt like a cold. Some people had similar experiences, 2 of our group had no symptoms at all and were fine. I think I got Delta rather than Omicron if the symptoms were anything to go by.

We were all double vaxxed at the time too. I got my booster last week as I'm headed over the South America for a few weeks this weekend so wanted to be extra safe.

Congrats on avoiding it Feb, you're in a very elite group I think haha.

I got it in January. We were away for New Years and a friend brought it with them.
We were staying in a big house with about 15 of us - 10 of us got it, the other 5 didn't.

The night before we left I was feeling a bit lethargic, but just put it down to the festive season. The following morning I woke up with a sore throat and instantly knew I'd caught it. We went home, but due to the RAT test shortages, couldn't confirm. Ended up lining up in a PCR queue for a few hours to get turned away. The next day I lined up for about 5 hours. First 2 days were awful, couldn't sleep, body aches, night sweats, ridiculously run down. It was a bloody nightmare, after that it just felt like a cold. Some people had similar experiences, 2 of our group had no symptoms at all and were fine. I think I got Delta rather than Omicron if the symptoms were anything to go by.

We were all double vaxxed at the time too. I got my booster last week as I'm headed over the South America for a few weeks this weekend so wanted to be extra safe.

Congrats on avoiding it Feb, you're in a very elite group I think haha.
All that lining up for tests for hours on end just to be turned away was ridiculous. Glad you got through it all.
I don't know how I've managed to escape it, especially when it's packed out in the salon, doors shut, air conditioning on.
When it gets uncomfortably busy I still put a mask on.
Maybe I've had it and didn't know it.
My partner hasn't had it either and he's been to a few hectic soccer get together's with a bunch of crazy Scotsmen wearing no masks (well, it's hard to drink and sing while wearing a mask!)
Fingers crossed we'll remain lucky.

I think it's inevitable we'll all get it at some stage, and probably more than once. I hope they'll have some breakthrough that leads to a vaccine that actually prevents people from catching it, so we can eliminate it altogether. But we may be waiting a while.

I haven't caught it. Had three shots of Astra.

I get the impression everyone who hasn't caught it has had similar experiences. Wondering if we caught it and didn't realise. Vague thought/hope of, "maybe I'm special and immune." Or, "maybe my Vaccine works better."

After everyone caught it on New Years Eve. Just assumed any day you'll come down with it. Accepting of that. To now being back to not wanting to catch it.

Not really taking precautions above what is mandated, yet still not 100% being comfortable being back to normal. There's a beer festival I enjoy going to each year later this month. Yet the idea of being in a building with thousands of people seems risky. So I probably won't go. Yet I went to the movies last night, ate dinner in a restaurant with no issue. No mask.

I know it is probably inevitable I'll catch it. I'd just rather not.

There's also that weird confusion people have about how they haven't caught it. Especially from people who spend a lot of time around different people. My hairdresser was telling me he is shocked he hasn't caught it. My personal trainer says similar things. Just due to their jobs. My nephew was in a tent for a week with a symptomatic kid with COVID. Didn't catch it. Just in general when you talk about it, everyone's a little weird about how they haven't.

People even seen a bit cautious about mentioning they haven't caught it now.

Then you hear of people in their 20s who have had it two or three times because they've got super active social lives.

South America is amazing, have fun!

Where are you going?

I would have more confidence about booking an overseas trip if I had caught it. I feel like I'll go overseas and immediately get it.

My hairdresser was telling me he is shocked he hasn't caught it.
I'm thinking having been in the industry as long as I have I've built up a good immune system.
I can't even think of when I had the flu last - more than 20 years if not longer. And the amount of people pre-covid who took the day off cos they are full of the flu and came into the salon to get their hair done to cheer themselves up, and I still never caught it.
A snotty head cold is the worst I've had, and the last one of those was a good 6 years ago.
Now, I hope I haven't jinxed myself.
And yes, I am very aware that we all will get it sooner or later. I don't think I'm that resilient. Just lucky, as I said - so far!

I know it is probably inevitable I'll catch it. I'd just rather not.
Oh I hope no-one gets me wrong when I posted this morning. The risk of ongoing lung, heart and even liver damage is very real. We should all be continuing to take precautions (masks) to prevent being infected.

I would have more confidence about booking an overseas trip if I had caught it. I feel like I'll go overseas and immediately get it.
But you can get it again, so whether you've had it or not is irrelevant.

Recently I was reading about a study where they literally shoved a specimen of the virus up the noses of a large group of volunteers. There were some who didn't get the disease despite having had it directly administered to them. So I presume they will study those people to learn why they didn't get Covid. If some really have natural immunity, hopefully they can figure out why, and develop a better vaccine or something.

Oh I hope no-one gets me wrong when I posted this morning. The risk of ongoing lung, heart and even liver damage is very real. We should all be continuing to take precautions (masks) to prevent being infected.

But you can get it again, so whether you've had it or not is irrelevant.

Recently I was reading about a study where they literally shoved a specimen of the virus up the noses of a large group of volunteers. There were some who didn't get the disease despite having had it directly administered to them. So I presume they will study those people to learn why they didn't get Covid. If some really have natural immunity, hopefully they can figure out why, and develop a better vaccine or something.
I know of people who have had it a second time closer to the first time that they've been saying it happens. Everyone's immunity, I guess, is different.

As far as I know I have not had it. I have had shockingly bad hayfever this year and been sneezing for months so I could have had it and not known if it was similar symptoms, but I suspect because I am an asthmatic as well that it would effect me more than that.

I like everyone else feel like it is inevitable for most people, but at the same time, I am really aware of it as I am moving to look after my parents soon, so I need to not get it if at all possible.

South America is amazing, have fun!

Where are you going?

Thanks! It’s been delayed 3 years because of Covid so we’ve been waiting a very long time to get on this plane haha.

Doing Brazil, Argentina, Chile and Peru. Been a bucket list trip for yonks so looking forward to it!

As far as I know I have not had it. I have had shockingly bad hayfever this year and been sneezing for months so I could have had it and not known if it was similar symptoms, but I suspect because I am an asthmatic as well that it would effect me more than that.

My hayfever has been SHOCKING the last 3 months. I’ve been convinced I’m allergic to my house haha. Legit considered moving. I’m also asthmatic so not sure if that plays into it. Must be something in the air.

My hayfever has been SHOCKING the last 3 months. I’ve been convinced I’m allergic to my house haha. Legit considered moving. I’m also asthmatic so not sure if that plays into it. Must be something in the air.
I have been wondering if I was allergic to my house too lol

I've had less hayfever, but I feel like I have a persistent and low level case of the sniffles. My nose is always very slightly stuffy. Very slightly runny.

I used to get lots of hayfever. Take anti-histamines every evening around 5 or 6 as my eyes would burn. Now I rarely take them or have an issue. It seems to track with losing weight and gaining physical fitness. Going for runs a few times a week outdoors probably exposes me to a lot more stuff in the air, so my immune system is better with it now.

I have been wondering if I was allergic to my house too lol
I used to think similar. I would have constant hayfever. Maybe the house is too dusty? Then I'd go travelling and have zero hayfever. Come back. It'd immediately return.

I've had less hayfever, but I feel like I have a persistent and low level case of the sniffles. My nose is always very slightly stuffy. Very slightly runny.

I used to get lots of hayfever. Take anti-histamines every evening around 5 or 6 as my eyes would burn. Now I rarely take them or have an issue. It seems to track with losing weight and gaining physical fitness. Going for runs a few times a week outdoors probably exposes me to a lot more stuff in the air, so my immune system is better with it now.

I used to think similar. I would have constant hayfever. Maybe the house is too dusty? Then I'd go travelling and have zero hayfever. Come back. It'd immediately return.
I never suffered from hayfever until I moved to south Australia so I know it is a pollen in the air somewhere around where I live. I love this part of the world so it is worth it!

I never suffered from hayfever until I moved to south Australia so I know it is a pollen in the air somewhere around where I live. I love this part of the world so it is worth it!
I used to suffer from hayfever terribly before I migrated to Australia from England. I never seemed to get it here, but gradually it's crept back in over the last few years, but is still nowhere as bad as it used to be.

I feel pretty crap at the moment. Start of a head cold; a bit of sinus? I've just done a RAT test as I have an 80 year old and a 90 year old in this week, and didn't want to just assume that it's not Covid, and thankfully it's negative - phew! I got myself all worked up there for a second.

I feel pretty crap at the moment. Start of a head cold; a bit of sinus? I've just done a RAT test as I have an 80 year old and a 90 year old in this week, and didn't want to just assume that it's not Covid, and thankfully it's negative - phew! I got myself all worked up there for a second.
Sorry you are feeling crap - hope it gets better soon whatever it is.

Seems there's a bad cold/flu going around...my sons both had it and it really knocked them. Try to take it a bit easy for a few days. :kiss:

Back