Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

You sound more like an adventure traveller than I am! I wish I was that adventurous. I only want to tan on a yacht in the Mediterranean sea, eat nice food and dance a bit, European beach parties.

I would love to do Sail Croatia. I figure more the Med and Europe is stuff that is still easy when I am older.

There's stuff I've done that I could do again but I just don't think I want to or could. It's why wanting to go back to Africa is hard. I was Overlanding and camping a lot. You can do that in your 20s for a couple months. Yet now, or in the next few years. The idea of doing that for a 10-14 trip sounds shithouse. It was something that you needed to adjust to. Yet I don't want to do the super expensive luxury version. I'm not sure what the middle ground is. Especially with covering a lot of ground.

I love photography. I never did a thorough going-over of my Africa pictures. Just some organisation along the way and social media posts. I have really have a strong desire to go back over them during this pandemic lockdown but I feel it will just make me sad of what I can't do. I really need to suck it up and do that. It'll probably be positive. Besides the aspect of regretting how much better a photographer I am now and the better equipment I have.

I would love to do Sail Croatia. I figure more the Med and Europe is stuff that is still easy when I am older.

There's stuff I've done that I could do again but I just don't think I want to or could. It's why wanting to go back to Africa is hard. I was Overlanding and camping a lot. You can do that in your 20s for a couple months. Yet now, or in the next few years. The idea of doing that for a 10-14 trip sounds shithouse. It was something that you needed to adjust to. Yet I don't want to do the super expensive luxury version. I'm not sure what the middle ground is. Especially with covering a lot of ground.

I love photography. I never did a thorough going-over of my Africa pictures. Just some organisation along the way and social media posts. I have really have a strong desire to go back over them during this pandemic lockdown but I feel it will just make me sad of what I can't do. I really need to suck it up and do that. It'll probably be positive. Besides the aspect of regretting how much better a photographer I am now and the better equipment I have.
How did you become better at photography?

Wow, I didn't know that right wing Nazis were so powerful that they could create scenes like yesterday which lead to the industry to be shut down in Victoria. I mean if they're right then the police will be able to find and arrest the leaders. Then all those poor brainwashed workers will be able to get those vaccinations they so desperately crave. But anyone with half a brain cell knows that this is just a desperate act by a scared union leadership because their own members are turning on them. This isn't a left v right issue it's an authoritarian v libertarian issue.

How did you become better at photography?

Experience. You need to know what you can do with the camera, how to do it. As well as how you can edit the photo afterwards. It's hard though, because most of the time your camera is just sitting on a shelf. I think every trip has a re-learning curve.

The big issue I have with my Africa pictures is that I didn't shoot in RAW. A dumb mistake that seems obvious to me now, but I didn't know. I didn't have a teacher. I didn't really research. I was used to shooting on compacts that didn't have RAW. I got a better camera for that trip but I didn't have that experience of knowing the difference. I had never edited a raw photo before. Once I had, holy crap was I wrong to not be shooting in raw.

Now I can look at photos and just know how much better I could adjust them in Lightroom if they were shot in raw. Knowing how you can use Lightroom also frees you up a lot.

I was always good with composition but you also get better over time. It's also amusing to see how bad people are with it. Asking people to take pictures of you in front of something and they can't balance foreground and background. It's all the background and a tiny head of you in a corner. Or it's just you where you could be anywhere.

I need to get better at aperture for close up wildlife shots. Earlier this year at the Melbourne Zoo and a wildlife park in Port Douglas I was shooting with this in mind. I am just taking lots of shots at different settings. Hopefully, this can become more instinctual. Taking lots of shots always gives you room to find something good.

I think liking taking photos is important. I don't often do it, but I may go and take photos, even if I never look at them after. During one of the lockdowns last year I wandered around down the Mornington Peninsula taking pictures of birds and bees just for the fun of it. Never looked at the pictures.

I don't think landscape and scenery shots are hard to get wrong if you have an eye for composition. Wildlife if what I love but that is harder.

It's just progress though. My Galopogas shots of wildlife are better than my African ones by what I learned from the experience. My Antarctica shots are better again. They're great, to be honest. I often see professional ones and think, "did they steal my photo?"

Although I did research for that trip. Online guides are great, I think you can naturally get to a point where you need to look to guides to get better. I may have come back with a lot of overexposed snow and ice if I didn't read up on photographing in that scenery. Something which now seems to me to be obvious, but I had never shot in snow before. Things which become simple knowledge aren't always obvious because it's just a hobby.

Online guides and youtube channels are great. Just keep them. There are some great guides I've used in the past I can not find again.

Experience. You need to know what you can do with the camera, how to do it. As well as how you can edit the photo afterwards. It's hard though, because most of the time your camera is just sitting on a shelf. I think every trip has a re-learning curve.

The big issue I have with my Africa pictures is that I didn't shoot in RAW. A dumb mistake that seems obvious to me now, but I didn't know. I didn't have a teacher. I didn't really research. I was used to shooting on compacts that didn't have RAW. I got a better camera for that trip but I didn't have that experience of knowing the difference. I had never edited a raw photo before. Once I had, holy crap was I wrong to not be shooting in raw.

Now I can look at photos and just know how much better I could adjust them in Lightroom if they were shot in raw. Knowing how you can use Lightroom also frees you up a lot.

I was always good with composition but you also get better over time. It's also amusing to see how bad people are with it. Asking people to take pictures of you in front of something and they can't balance foreground and background. It's all the background and a tiny head of you in a corner. Or it's just you where you could be anywhere.

I need to get better at aperture for close up wildlife shots. Earlier this year at the Melbourne Zoo and a wildlife park in Port Douglas I was shooting with this in mind. I am just taking lots of shots at different settings. Hopefully, this can become more instinctual. Taking lots of shots always gives you room to find something good.

I think liking taking photos is important. I don't often do it, but I may go and take photos, even if I never look at them after. During one of the lockdowns last year I wandered around down the Mornington Peninsula taking pictures of birds and bees just for the fun of it. Never looked at the pictures.

I don't think landscape and scenery shots are hard to get wrong if you have an eye for composition. Wildlife if what I love but that is harder.

It's just progress though. My Galopogas shots of wildlife are better than my African ones by what I learned from the experience. My Antarctica shots are better again. They're great, to be honest. I often see professional ones and think, "did they steal my photo?"

Although I did research for that trip. Online guides are great, I think you can naturally get to a point where you need to look to guides to get better. I may have come back with a lot of overexposed snow and ice if I didn't read up on photographing in that scenery. Something which now seems to me to be obvious, but I had never shot in snow before. Things which become simple knowledge aren't always obvious because it's just a hobby.

Online guides and youtube channels are great. Just keep them. There are some great guides I've used in the past I can not find again.
You could have gotten some great shots of the freedom fighters protest today!

Where in Africa do you want to go back to? North, west, east or the southern part? It's a very diverse continent. I'm most interested in the Mediterranean part of North Africa but coastal South Africa looks nice. Am I a bit clueless for not knowing much about the rest of the continent? Maybe my taste for seaside destinations means I don't pay as much attention to the more adventurous options.

Seriously why doesn't Peta Credlin throw her hat in the ring and go for the Liberal Leader position in Victoria? I mean I heard the other day they replaced the Liberal leader Michael O'Brien with the old Liberal leader Matthew Guy again. Last time I remember Matthew Guy was the leader of the Liberals he was making headlines about having a "Lobster with a mobster" dinner somewhere...lol. Maybe it's time for the Libs to have a fresh new leader?
I agree. Some people would make a fuss if Peta was the Opposition Leader but those people probably wouldn't even vote conservative anyway so it's not really a big deal if the left-wing doesn't like her. I think she could appeal to the centre who are frustrated with Dan and people on the centre-right.

I agree. Some people would make a fuss if Peta was the Opposition Leader but those people probably wouldn't even vote conservative anyway so it's not really a big deal if the left-wing doesn't like her. I think she could appeal to the centre who are frustrated with Dan and people on the centre-right.

A lot of these left wing supporters place women in Parliamentary power highly. It would be interesting to test if that is the case if Credlin ran. I just have no doubt they would not vote for her which would be hypocritical to their position.

A lot of these left wing supporters place women in Parliamentary power highly. It would be interesting to test if that is the case if Credlin ran. I just have no doubt they would not vote for her which would be hypocritical to their position.
Why would it be hypocritical?

I reckon those that would never vote for her would love it if she was opposition leader because it meant she would never be premier thankfully. She's a soulless heartless conservative. But she has a nice face.

Is there any restrictions about being in state government if you have been in federal government? I am not sure on these things. Its not like she is just a news presenter with no knowledge of politics - that may be a weird thing to suggest, but she actually has a lot of experience so if she actually wanted to run for Victoria, and the party wanted her why not? She is well known, and people llisten to her. (which is more than can be said than a lot of politicians!)

Back