Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Really... when one state is locked down this is what Scotty from marketing has to say....

'Time to get back to the office': PM says

The Prime Minister has told Australian workers it's "time to get back to the office" in an effort to reinvigorate the nation's CBDs.

The country's Lord Mayors are concerned COVID restrictions and working-from-home policies have left usually busy city areas desolate, impacting local businesses.

National cabinet has asked health experts to review restrictions on the numbers of workers allowed in office spaces to determine if it's stopping employees returning.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says working-from-home restrictions imposed by overseas corporations are not appropriate to Australia.

"Premiers and chief ministers and I have a very simple message, time to get back to the office, it's time to get back to the office."

How about you worry about your own job and sort your shite out with the vaccines hey Scotty.

People who continue to work from home after this is all over it is between them and thier employer and what is best for them both and is not any business of the government. Anyone who thinks that people do are not productive if they work from home or cannot communicate with others, just have not found ways f doing it successfully themselves. There are plenty of ways of supporting local businesses (going to local cafes for coffee or a meeting) once restrictions and lockdowns are not such a concern. yes CBDs may have to change and adapt but there will still be a need for the buildings and offices. There is many new and creative opportunities that could come out of this if people are open to change.

Reactions: kxk
How about you worry about your own job and sort your shite out with the vaccines hey Scotty.

People who continue to work from home after this is all over it is between them and thier employer and what is best for them both and is not any business of the government. Anyone who thinks that people do are not productive if they work from home or cannot communicate with others, just have not found ways f doing it successfully themselves. There are plenty of ways of supporting local businesses (going to local cafes for coffee or a meeting) once restrictions and lockdowns are not such a concern. yes CBDs may have to change and adapt but there will still be a need for the buildings and offices. There is many new and creative opportunities that could come out of this if people are open to change.
The vaccine isn't the only challenge of recovering from this pandemic. Hospitality businesses were badly impacted and I don't think there's anything bad with Scotty or the government generally encouraging more activity in CBDs if the health risk is low. The government is not mandating that everyone work in the office 5 days a week either. I think it could be taken as decent advice for all states except VIC

Last edited:
The vaccine isn't the only challenge of recovering from this pandemic. Hospitality businesses were badly impacted and I don't think there's anything bad with Scotty or the government generally encouraging more activity in CBDs if the health risk is low. The government is not mandating that everyone work in the office 5 days a week either. I think it could be taken as decent advice for all states except VIC

That's an excellent point there, young Drama. I've been thinking you've been right about the economy.

And many people will chose to work in a hybrid way. But the reality is that this pandemic has changed the way some people want to work, and the way some organisations will chose to run, and expecting everything to just go back to the way it was after the vaccines is sticking your head in the sand. (meaning Scotty)

Office buildings also can be converted into office hubs where office spaces are rented in a more temporary manner for large meetings or conferences etc.. Hospitality may need to look at adapting thier business models to adapt to what is happening around them eg cafes offering catering services for meetings and conferences.

Overall I believe how an organisation chooses to run thier business should not be controlled by the government. We risk be way too much of a nanny state if that happens.

(edited for spelling and clarity)

Last edited:
Well today was another new one to add to the shopping experience in Melbourne's latest lockdown. Now they are making shoppers "check in" when entering supermarkets like Coles, Safeway (Woolworths) etc. As I was approaching the Coles entrance they have smart phone scanners where if you have a smart phone you can just scan yourself in. But as I don't carry a new fangled smartphone I was asked to manually put pen to paper and fill in a "check in" sheet with my first name, phone number and the time that I am entering the supermarket. I was asked to do this at Coles and Safeway (Woolworths) but when I walked into the Aldi store there was no scanners at all for those with smartphones, there also wasn't any manual pen to paper check in sheets to fill in. So all I can say is "What the hell?". Oh what a great system the government here has created. They even have "check in" scanners at the main entrance to the shopping centre. But there is no one there to monitor the scanning of people. It's basically a "oh if you feel like it you can check yourself in" system...LOL.

See now I really know why I don't rely on any government advise on things relating to this virus. This new "check in" garbage has really gone beyond the joke here in Melbourne.

Wow, you're only just getting that?
We've had phone or written sign ins in Adelaide since last year.

How can someone function and be 15 months into the pandemic and not come across a check-in system before?

If Aldi isn't doing a check-in, that's either their fault or maybe they don't require one. Although I think they now do. As others have said, other states have had check-in for supermarkets this whole time.

Would you prefer the government sends a party member to every store to enforce check-in, or try and rely on peoples ability to do the right thing? I know you can never rely on that, but at some point it's the only practical option.

We have had it in restaurants (when they are even open) since the whole thing started and in certain shops at certain alert levels (it was in place last few weeks) but never for supermarkets/essential businesses (Germany).
Restaurants, bars, cafes will finally be able to open here for sit-down business from next Monday. Woohoo. After SEVEN MONTHS.

Wow, you're only just getting that?
We've had phone or written sign ins in Adelaide since last year.

That is just what I was thinking.
I think in restaurants, cafes, etc it has been mandatory in Vic for quite awhile but I can't be certain as I don't eat out at all, so correct me if I'm mistaken. It has never been mandatory in supermarkets until now though.
How can someone function and be 15 months into the pandemic and not come across a check-in system before?

If Aldi isn't doing a check-in, that's either their fault or maybe they don't require one. Although I think they now do. As others have said, other states have had check-in for supermarkets this whole time.

Would you prefer the government sends a party member to every store to enforce check-in, or try and rely on peoples ability to do the right thing? I know you can never rely on that, but at some point it's the only practical option.
Yes, they do now and there's a rather large fine if they fail to register I believe.

I think in restaurants, cafes, etc it has been mandatory in Vic for quite awhile but I can't be certain as I don't eat out at all, so correct me if I'm mistaken. It has never been mandatory in supermarkets until now though.

Yes, they do now and there's a rather large fine if they fail to register I believe.

Not long before things got bad in Victoria, SA had started to have a blitz on people using the codes, so police were/are actually taken off other duties to roam shops making sure people check in and if not fine them and the shop owners.

It feels good to know I live in a state where all other crimes are solved to such an extent that the police can be utilised in such a manner. :rolleyes: :bang:

It feels good to know I live in a state where all other crimes are solved to such an extent that the police can be utilised in such a manner. :rolleyes: :bang:

Watching the news here tonight, the cops have to be deployed to vaccination centres to stop protestors and disrupters. Such a great use of police resources. :rolleyes::bang:

Back