Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

The pandemic is not over so I think it's too early to conclude whether their more relaxed approach was better overall than countries that have (or previously had) strong restrictions.
There exists no 'one fits all' size in this case due to different habits and traits and attitudes of individual societies.
Here is the irony: When we should be looking outward and learn from others, we stubbornly refuse and indulge in domestic squabbles instead. Infrastructural concepts from abroad could often successfully be applied here and safe time and money.
But when we do need a solution which requires nation-specific considerations, we scour the whole planet for a silver bullet.

But I do think/agree both the government and organisations need to have longer term strategies in place for how to handle this, as I agree this isn't going away any time soon, and nobody wants to live through another 2020.
The problem with countries like Australia and the US, and to a lesser degree others, is that any long-term strategy will probably be thwarted by the ever increasing number of corona-rebels.
Both, state and federal governments have already experienced this more than once and understandably are at a loss as to how to cover all bases and possibilities.

There has never been a doubt in my mind that the effect of the virus on the individual has at least to a degree to do with diet.
What we eat affects our health, both physically and mentally and consequently our nation and our planet.

High obesity rates in English speaking countries like Australia, the UK and the US reflect an unhealthy diet and an unhealthy attitude to what we should consume. We are addicted to salt and sugar and hidden fats. Such a diet doesn't only make us fat, it also lowers our immunity system. So what alternatives do we have to tacos, hamburgers and everything that is creamy and crunchy?

Vegetables of course. In general, green vegetables are supposed to contain more beneficial agents, which is not to say, that other vegetables do not contribute to our health. ALL vegetables are good for us... with the exception of okra and aubergines, both of which are actually fruit and disguise as veggies in the veggie section - those two abominations, whatever they are, are not a creation of our Lord. 😨

But, since we can but would be stupid to, eat all our veggies raw, we cook them and then discover that something is missing... it's taste that is missing. Thank God for salt. We ladle the stuff on top of everything but ice cream. As already mentioned, too much salt will kill you.
But but but... we want some taste!!! This time it's 'praise the gods' for spices, because you see, in most places where those medicinal spices are grown, people are not as narrow-minded as to believe in one lone god. Instead, the variety of major and minor gods and major and minor demons is as rich and colourful as the mysterious spice markets early in the morning.

The best part is that so many of those exotic spices contain healing agents and are help to keep us healthy.

Then there are the dreaded onions, the garlic and the sauerkraut we so despise. One gives you bad breath, the other one makes your eyes water and 'sauerkraut' ...YUK... why would you eat THAT?!
Yet it is exactly those and many others we have wrongly stigmatized that are beneficial to maintaining our health and immune system.

It will be interesting to see how different diets affected the various COVID-19 numbers globally once we all have a bigger picture.

Yes, for one, but also being a bit more sympathetic to people in border communities. You can't lock them out because of geographical boundaries...people rely on facilities that may not be in the State they live in.

I am in northern NSW. Our trucks go to Brisbane twice a week, no problems at all. And hasn't been from the start. (our company is *thankfully* very aware & cautious of Covid) (so our driver either elects to stay in his cab when safe, or exit to a safe location to wait for loading/unloading, contactless paperwork etc etc)

Also, yes, when the border became "more" closed recently, real issues did occur, and i am pleased that both sides talked & co-ordinated so that NSW hospital patients needing urgent transfers to QLD (cos they'd die on the trip to sydney) are now allowed their support person(s) without having to self isolate for 14 days first.

In all honestly, I hope that *all* of our hospitals, every state, city, regional & rural get an influx of funding. Your postcode really should not define your level of care.

I am in northern NSW. Our trucks go to Brisbane twice a week, no problems at all. And hasn't been from the start. (our company is *thankfully* very aware & cautious of Covid) (so our driver either elects to stay in his cab when safe, or exit to a safe location to wait for loading/unloading, contactless paperwork etc etc)

Also, yes, when the border became "more" closed recently, real issues did occur, and i am pleased that both sides talked & co-ordinated so that NSW hospital patients needing urgent transfers to QLD (cos they'd die on the trip to sydney) are now allowed their support person(s) without having to self isolate for 14 days first.

In all honestly, I hope that *all* of our hospitals, every state, city, regional & rural get an influx of funding. Your postcode really should not define your level of care.
I'm glad it's been sorted out between NSW and QLD. Now I hope the same amount of common sense can be adopted for SA and Vic.

One case I'm aware of is that of a woman in Mildura who has been undergoing cancer treatment in Adelaide for the past several years but has been told that she will have to travel to Melbourne in the future. That's not on. Also, there are many people who live in Vic who rely on SA facilities for the basics of food and fuel...apparently they are not allowed to cross the border and are told that they need to shop elsewhere which is often many kilometers away. It's hard enough for these people as it is so why make their lives even harder? I just wish common sense would prevail.

The problem with countries like Australia and the US, and to a lesser degree others, is that any long-term strategy will probably be thwarted by the ever increasing number of corona-rebels.
Both, state and federal governments have already experienced this more than once and understandably are at a loss as to how to cover all bases and possibilities.
I don't think all of this will lie at the feet of the government. There will come a point where we we all will have to adapt to the reality of the situation that covid exists and the way we have worked and lived has forever been changed. No organisation can just go back to working the way they did before this happened; they need to adapt and chenge in appropriate ways to suit the economy, to minimise risks in short and long terms, and to take advantage of opportunities that have come out of this.

There has never been a doubt in my mind that the effect of the virus on the individual has at least to a degree to do with diet.
What we eat affects our health, both physically and mentally and consequently our nation and our planet.

High obesity rates in English speaking countries like Australia, the UK and the US reflect an unhealthy diet and an unhealthy attitude to what we should consume. We are addicted to salt and sugar and hidden fats. Such a diet doesn't only make us fat, it also lowers our immunity system. So what alternatives do we have to tacos, hamburgers and everything that is creamy and crunchy?

Exercise is also important.

The US does rank very high for obesity, but you'll also find the South Pacific, arab countries, the caribbean and Central/South America to have problems.

Back