Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

That's encouraging! 😅
image.png.5fb7a1388d79230184f9777d50c42cc6.png

Unless Omnicron is more lethal I don't support going into another lockdown!

Wasn't the idea that vaccines would be the way out of having to go through that again?

With every lockdown there are people who lose work, people who have to be supported.

How would cafes/bars/restaurants and non essential retail survive continuing with an open, closed, open, closed cycle? It's hard to run a business like that.

Is it still going to be the same strategy in 2022? 2023? The virus isn't disappearing. I don't know if everyone has accepted that yet.

Unless people are fine with a society without those types of businesses then I don't think lockdowns are worth it anymore.

Look at Melbourne. They came out of a lockdown in a worse situation than they were going into it!

I think reintroducing some restrictions is worth it but another lockdown is something I probably won't support.

Last edited:
Unless Omnicron is more lethal I don't support going into another lockdown!

Wasn't the idea that vaccines would be the way out of having to go through that again?

With every lockdown there are people who lose work, people who have to be supported.

How would cafes/bars/restaurants and non essential retail survive continuing with an open, closed, open, closed cycle? It's hard to run a business like that.

Is it still going to be the same strategy in 2022? 2023? The virus isn't disappearing. I don't know if everyone has accepted that yet.

Unless people are fine with a society without those types of businesses then I don't think lockdowns are worth it anymore.

Look at Melbourne. They came out of a lockdown in a worse situation than they were going into it!

I think reintroducing some restrictions is worth it but another lockdown is something I probably won't support.
I didn't realise there was talk of more lockdowns. It looks like most state have decreased all of the relations they have had over the last few weeks. Is there a particular state that is talking about it? it seems like a sharp (and confusing) turn around from the path we are taking right now.

I didn't realise there was talk of more lockdowns. It looks like most state have decreased all of the relations they have had over the last few weeks. Is there a particular state that is talking about it? it seems like a sharp (and confusing) turn around from the path we are taking right now.
There are some people in NSW that really want another lockdown.

But I think these people don't realise that locking down a society is not easy.

It has a big impact economically, socially. There's a lot of things you have to think about.

If a high vaccination rate isn't enough then what is? Will anything ever be enough for these people to not want a lockdown?

Do we lockdown forever? The virus is looking like it's not going anywhere.

If we go into a lockdown I want to see a serious argument for it. The most I currently support is reintroduced restrictions.

The way I see it, some governments are so over it they are just letting it loose (but, interestingly, not in some EU countries). AU is so far apparently throwing caution to the wind and letting it run its course. Too bad for those who aren't (or are unable to be) vaccinated. Are they trying to appease antivaxxers and Covid deniers, because a federal election is coming up? idk.

This could have been avoided had the West not hogged all the vaccines. If they'd helped African nations to get their vaccination numbers up there's a good chance this variant would not have come into being.

Here in Cambodia they stopped reporting real case numbers at the end of September. They are currently reporting just 6-7 cases a day, which is absurd.

Everyone is exhausted from lockdowns. But NSW should have acted sooner. This is entirely on Gladys (and Scott).

There are some people in NSW that really want another lockdown.

But I think these people don't realise that locking down a society is not easy.

It has a big impact economically, socially. There's a lot of things you have to think about.

If a high vaccination rate isn't enough then what is? Will anything ever be enough for these people to not want a lockdown?

Do we lockdown forever? The virus is looking like it's not going anywhere.

If we go into a lockdown I want to see a serious argument for it. The most I currently support is reintroduced restrictions.
Such is the world according to Covid. Lockdown there will be some complaining/concerned. Open up there will be others complaining/concerned. I don't think there is a scenario where everyone is happy.

Can’t find a Pfizer booster shot anywhere.
Double vaxed since July and in compromised immune category high priority group

Have had 2 bookings, cancelled, both cannot/did not get supply that was promised
Next booking not until 17 Jan, can try again next week, lottery if you can even get in the queue
They should stop telling people to get boosters with no supply

Every time I see my doctor he is now so pissed off, ....
Ie...”they knew this, and didn’t tell us...”. about everything
He has told me to get a better fitting mask and to add the plastic shield
Everyone local has masks

Everyone local has masks
Yeah, despite the lack of action by government it's time to absolutely return to the kind of measures we were taking at the (previous) height of it all. The whole thing is about to blow up worldwide now.

Reactions: kxk
Can’t find a Pfizer booster shot anywhere.
Double vaxed since July and in compromised immune category high priority group

Have had 2 bookings, cancelled, both cannot/did not get supply that was promised
Next booking not until 17 Jan, can try again next week, lottery if you can even get in the queue
They should stop telling people to get boosters with no supply

Every time I see my doctor he is now so pissed off, ....
Ie...”they knew this, and didn’t tell us...”. about everything
Everyone local has masks
Is moderna an option instead or is there just a general shortage in your area?

Shortage of every booster
Advised I need Pfizer to boost my astra double dose....that possibly I may have very little protection right now
All auto immune diseases are very susceptible .....I have no idea how protected I am now, experts have no idea either
I feel like travelling with a big long stick and a sign on my clothes....keep clear

Shortage of every booster
Advised I need Pfizer to boost my astra double dose....that possibly I may have very little protection right now
All auto immune diseases are very susceptible .....I have no idea how protected I am now, experts have no idea either
I feel like travelling with a big long stick and a sign on my clothes....keep clear
I have a friend in Melbourne who got Moderna as her booster shot on the weekend and she had AZ originally. (thats why I asked). But I know just cos they had it in one place doesn't mean they have it everywhere. So frustrating for you. Hope you can get it soon. I am not sure when I am due for my booster as they keep changing the time frame but I think it is mid January now. It was Feb originally.

Australia is becoming more like other countries. The virus probably can't be suppressed anymore. It's too difficult. COVID wins eventually. I think NSW and VIC are used to it. It's going to be a new experience for the other states. They'll have to adjust.

Before Omicron, I'd considered when the right time might be to stop wearing a mask outside my place, because virtually everyone here has worn them all year, if not longer. I decided that rather than be regarded as an arrogant foreigner, I'd wait until it was like 50/50 usage out there. And now that seems to be further away than ever. I really need better masks, and more of them.

I think masks should be indefinite part of life until the pandemic is over.

If it stops one infected worker from transmitting to 5 other workers on the same shift then isn't that better for business?

One person might be out and not all 6.

I think the discomfort of masks is worth it for that reason.

People should accept that the virus is sticking around and use what's available for protection.

I don't think it'll have to be that way forever but patience and acceptance are needed.

If people don't do these small things then cases grow and then the lockdown talk happens. I don't want to go back into lockdown.

Australia is becoming more like other countries. The virus probably can't be suppressed anymore. It's too difficult. COVID wins eventually. I think NSW and VIC are used to it. It's going to be a new experience for the other states. They'll have to adjust.
Yip I am learning to adjust by being put in isolation on christmas eve. spent 3 and a half hours in line to get tested. How did I get exposed? I didn't even leave my house. My husband went next door to help a neighbour, and we have now found out they had been to a party where he got covid.

Are people taking any precautions for Christmas? We're doing the self-administered tests.

This has been the plan all along, otherwise, it is lockdown forever. Which of course can't be done. Omicron is showing just how much people can't adjust to living with covid. The whole living with COVID is starting to get chucked out the window.

I think masks should be indefinite part of life until the pandemic is over.

If it stops one infected worker from transmitting to 5 other workers on the same shift then isn't that better for business?

One person might be out and not all 6.

I think the discomfort of masks is worth it for that reason.

People should accept that the virus is sticking around and use what's available for protection.

I don't think it'll have to be that way forever but patience and acceptance are needed.

If people don't do these small things then cases grow and then the lockdown talk happens. I don't want to go back into lockdown.

I think there's a situation where masks become a bit more common like they are in Asia, but is masking forever actually living with covid? Or just living in fear of it? Where do you draw the line?

Isolation, not masks is the only thing that has been stopping the spread. We are never getting out of this. COVID is going to be endemic. We just have to live with it. Which means people catch it. Variants and hopefully it just ends up like the flu.

Also masking is mostly theatre. Most people aren't wearing masks properly and aren't wearing masks that are effective. Most transmission isn't happening in situations where we're told to wear masks.

Walking past someone in a shopping centre with an ill-fitted cloth mask. As opposed to sitting in an office or someones home, across a table in a restaurant without masks.

Yip I am learning to adjust by being put in isolation on christmas eve. spent 3 and a half hours in line to get tested. How did I get exposed? I didn't even leave my house. My husband went next door to help a neighbour, and we have now found out they had been to a party where he got covid.

Did you catch it or just isolating for results?

Back