Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

They have been showing quite a few tv commercials for the upcoming Australian Open tennis tournament here in Melbourne and I have noticed that both the Australian Open organisers and also Channel 9 who will be broadcasting this event are still showing clips of Novak Djokovic in their promo's both for going to the event and also for viewing on channel 9.

You would think that they should not include any promotional video's featuring Novak Djokovic considering he will not be attending this event as he will not declare his COVID-19 vaccination status.

Surely they can edit out any footage featuring the world number 1 tennis player who won't be playing at this event from any promotional advertising?

I am now having fear that my trip to SA early Jan won't happen.

Logically it should be fine, unless there's a complete reversal of policy. Or the new variant is super bad, but that seems unlikely from the cases so far.

I just feel they may choke at the 90% opening up. For some reason reading that if I went now, I'd need to quarantine until I got negative, has made me worried. Even though my plan is to go there under the 90% rules. Funny how stuff like that works.
We're not locked down ,we are on level 1 so it's just curfew ,masks and sanitizer and the government is pushing the vaccinations.
As far as I know we have no travel bans for anyone entering the country but we sure are being punished by other countries because
our scientists identified the new strain

They have been showing quite a few tv commercials for the upcoming Australian Open tennis tournament here in Melbourne and I have noticed that both the Australian Open organisers and also Channel 9 who will be broadcasting this event are still showing clips of Novak Djokovic in their promo's both for going to the event and also for viewing on channel 9.

You would think that they should not include any promotional video's featuring Novak Djokovic considering he will not be attending this event as he will not declare his COVID-19 vaccination status.

Surely they can edit out any footage featuring the world number 1 tennis player who won't be playing at this event from any promotional advertising?
So happy to return from my one month ban (ms c jenner shall always be c from this day forward)

I'm the RN daughter of 2 physicians from China My extemded family has over 100 physicians, 3 nurses & 2 dentists. We're all caring for Covid patients. The difference is that in 2020, the dying were aged & infirm. Now they are under the age of 40, unvaccinated & aggressively anti Chinese (also armed due to the US 2nd ammendment grrr). I'm sorry we don't share the videos of the young people dying. It's even more devastating than in 2020. Good luck to the tennis players.

Watching the news today and well it seems that Novak Djokovic is trying to get some sort of "medical exemption" to not be vaccinated to play at the Australian open tennis championship.

I strictly remember Daniel Andrews saying a while ago that no unvaccinated tennis players will be allowed to play at the Australian open. I think I also remember the Tennis Australia boss saying the same words as Dan Andrews. I am waiting to see what happens at the upcoming Australian Open.

If they let him play unvaccinated then Dan Andrews will look like a clown, also the Tennis Australia boss can join Dan Andrews in the circus.

If they let him play unvaccinated then Dan Andrews will look like a clown, also the Tennis Australia boss can join Dan Andrews in the circus.

Is it Dan's decision to allow unvaccinated tennis players? No.

So what you're saying is that you agree with Dan if you complain about Djokovic coming in unvaccinated.

Is it Dan's decision to allow unvaccinated tennis players? No.

So what you're saying is that you agree with Dan if you complain about Djokovic coming in unvaccinated.

Don't you remember a while ago the federal government was saying that they'll allow an unvaccinated international tennis player in as long as they meet their quarantine requirements? They were not as fussed as the Victorian government when it comes to compulsury vaccination. Anyway I sure do remember Dan Andrews as you should also remember coming out saying that the Victorian government has the final say in who is allowed to play at the Australian open, and we will not allow any one to play at the Australian open unless they declare their vaccination status.

I actually want to see Dan Andrews stick to his guns on this and not allow Novak or any other tennis players to play here unless they are fully vaccinated like he kept harping on about all those weeks ago to the media.

I can tell you if the decision is made by the federal government then you will most likely see Novak playing at the Australian Open unvaccinated. This will make Dan Andrews look like a fool. I do remember alot of reports about this and in the end it all falls down on what the individual states choose on and that they have the final say in what goes on in each state. Not the pollies in Canberra.

If now Dan Andrews stands back and says well I can't do anything about it because the feds have full control of local Victorian laws then it's a complete joke.

Last edited:
We both work from home but my husband went out today to donate blood and thought he would see if he could get a park at the mall to pick up something. A week out from xmas he could drive into a car park and the roads were deserted - yes I suspect people in Adelaide are staying home as covid cases are higher here than they have ever been.

At times in my life I've suffered depression, even contemplated/attempted suicide. My feelings of hopelessness and helplessness were crushing. As I walked to work (or wherever) I'd feel like if I were to be run over by a bus I wouldn't care. That was a passive wish, I wasn't about to deliberately walk in front of a bus. But the thought of it all ending then and there regularly flashed through my mind.

Now I wonder how many people, after two years of Covid, are feeling this way, and simply don't care if they catch Covid and die. As we enter the third year it feels like it will never end. How many people are living in quiet desperation? Something we should all probably consider.

I feel for both the policy makers in organisations but especially more those working frontline in retail and hospitality at the moment. The last two years have been exhausting and at the moment a lot of the state governments are changing the rules every five minutes. It must be so difficult to keep up with what is supposed to be happening and then ensuring staff and customers follow that.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I wasn’t thinking about Mental Health. My post was about the people and the government calling for “freedoms” to save the economy. When in reality the economy is stuffed either way with the major spread of COVID in the community. Ironically states that have managed to mostly keep COVID out have thrived in their economy (WA and Tasmania). They have been living pretty normal well Tasmania has until now.

Really I was thinking that at least some of the people who are anti-mask etc might be suffering in that way, and literally don't care if they get "hit by the bus".

And @Mooseface I'm fine, thanks for asking. Hope you are too. :)

Really I was thinking that at least some of the people who are anti-mask etc might be suffering in that way, and literally don't care if they get "hit by the bus".
Good point but then people who are anti-mask generally think COVID is not real or is something that isn’t really a risk to the general population... and should those people really have a say in our health when their opinions are not factual and a danger to the community?

Good point but then people who are anti-mask generally think COVID is not real or is something that isn’t really a risk to the general population... and should those people really have a say in our health when their opinions are not factual and a danger to the community?
There are a variety of reasons motivating that brigade. For some (particularly in VIC) there's a political motivation. But yeah, I am sure there are many subgroups. You just had to look at footage of the protests to see the range from Q-nuts, Trumpists, to seemingly ordinary people, to witness that.

But anyway, I think we should be taking time to check in with the people in our lives, and see how they are really coping. It has been an exhausting couple of years. Some deal better than others.

Spoke to someone I know for the first time in ages. They're really bad down the mental health road, in large part from being sucked into all the anti-vax and conspiracy stuff. Where it's really badly impacting their lives because they refuse to get vaccinated, but is now missing out on work. So sad.

There are a variety of reasons motivating that brigade. For some (particularly in VIC) there's a political motivation. But yeah, I am sure there are many subgroups. You just had to look at footage of the protests to see the range from Q-nuts, Trumpists, to seemingly ordinary people, to witness that.

But anyway, I think we should be taking time to check in with the people in our lives, and see how they are really coping. It has been an exhausting couple of years. Some deal better than others.

The political orchestration in Victoria needs to be a bigger story. There are shady groups and liberal party backers pushing all sorts of non-sense. From protes to stupid lawsuits.

There's this dumb lawsuit dubbed "slug-gate." On the facts it's simple. Yet because it can be tied to the chief health officer, it's gotten a lot of attention and backing. Seen as a way to try and undermine him. There are podcasts and all sorts of attention put to it. It's fascinating because the coverage never mentions the basic facts. Then just alleges conspiracy and corruption.

Sad but true
3B32978A-CB24-40DC-BBD4-A8C36DA48A70.jpeg.1886c775e0d18b00694c40271d322231.jpeg

Back