Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

I think Dr Jeanette Young should run for Prime Minister. Much better option than Morrison who cannot effectively run a vaccination program and Albo who would ruin the country if elected.

That would be interesting. But I hope Albanese becomes PM.

Reactions: kxk
Easy for it to be when it aligns with your views and you don’t care about the health of the younger generation.
That's a bit harsh!
At the end of the day it's your choice. As long as you're happy with it, so be it.
I didn't want the AZ, but that was what I was advised to have, so I did it.
Anyhoo .... ....

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
There's now talk about moderna and Pfizer linked to swollen heart conditions, so none of these vaccines are without minimal risks which are scaring people out of having them.
You're more likely to be killed crossing the road - or dying of covid!

Last edited:
That's a bit harsh!
At the end of the day it's your choice. As long as you're happy with it, so be it.
I didn't want the AZ, but that was what I was advised to have, so I did it.
Anyhoo .... ....

Right, it is my choice. I don’t need people on this forum telling me to reconsider or that I should get any vaccine urgently when I know my health better than anybody.

There's now talk about moderna and Pfizer linked to swollen heart conditions, so none of these vaccines are without minimal risks which are scaring people out of having them.
You're more likely to be killed crossing the road - or dying of covid!

I have known about the Pfizer and Moderna risks for a while now. You are missing the big point here though that no one has died from the Pfizer vaccine in Australia. Whereas there have been 7 cases of death from AstraZeneca blood clots in Australia.

As for your last part about more likely dying of COVID, I disagree with that statement for people in my age group.

I rang my local doctors office today and they said they were only giving vaccines to people over 60. I hope they hurry up with the Pfizer stuff.

Is that for Pfizer? Sounds like they just have AZ stock.

I think we are up to 40-59 in Victoria for Pfizer.

I didn't know much about the novovax so wanted to read more. It looks pretty effective altough it did say as Novovax has not yet been approved more data is required to determine its effectivness against the delta strain. Hopefully it will be as equally as effective with all strains.

I just don't see Australia getting it anytime soon unfortunately. Maybe mid next year, if its not going to be availble for release until the end of this year? I would not be at all surprised if we get novovax as booster shots.

Stay safe until then @Affable

I didn't know much about the novovax so wanted to read more. It looks pretty effective altough it did say as Novovax has not yet been approved more data is required to determine its effectivness against the delta strain. Hopefully it will be as equally as effective with all strains.

I just don't see Australia getting it anytime soon unfortunately. Maybe mid next year, if its not going to be availble for release until the end of this year? I would not be at all surprised if we get novovax as booster shots.

Stay safe until then @Affable

Thanks @Isee.

I did see a statement from Greg Hunt a few days ago that Novavax would be a primary vaccine as well as serving as booster shots and that we have enough on order for those purposes. They were expecting late Q4 now but it would not surprise me if it is early next year but I can wait.

My contact with the outside world has been extremely limited lately and I am taking all the appropriate precautions to ensure health and safety. So I think I should be fine until then. 😀

1628163993370.png

Those that feel the need to complain about a Vic lockdown are out not socially distancing again.

Yeah. I have an appointment too. I don’t exactly want the damn thing. But I do want things to be at least a bit more normal…
Exactly. The reality is, that unless we're vaccinated, the chance of travelling, attending footy matches, etc is very slim. Lots of companies will move to a no vax, no entry policy. Whilst it's a shit go, I've accepted that in order to get back to life as quick as possible, it's the only way. I am a supporter of vaccines in general, but unimpressed with the government essentially forcing us to get vaccinated before they will lift restrictions and get us back to pre-covid normal.

I am a supporter of vaccines in general, but unimpressed with the government essentially forcing us to get vaccinated before they will lift restrictions and get us back to pre-covid normal.
Try not to blame Australia's (hopeless) government. It's the same the world over, we all need to get Covid under control. And vaccines are the only way that is going to happen.

The first day vaccines first became available here, someone posted on a FB Expats group that they'd got AZ at a hospital just up the road from me. I went up in the afternoon and was told "come back tomorrow after 6am". When I went back there was a queue of about 600 people, no social distancing, it was a shemozzle. By the afternoon they had put up a notice saying foreigners had to get a letter from their embassy (this was complete bullshit, it was just a way to tell foreigners to piss off).

From that day I exhausted every avenue to get vaccinated, but it took three months until I was finally able to get jabbed. There had only been 234,000 AZ doses available and that had long gone, so I got Sinovac.

I really look forward to a time where I don't have to wear a mask every time I go out, and can travel again though. This has been really wearying. People holding back on getting vaccinated are only stretching out the pandemic.

What are restrictions like for you guys @timmy ? Are you in lockdown, curfews, etc? Or business as normal?
In Phnom Penh and all the provincial capitals there is a 9pm-3am curfew and alcohol sales are banned (the latter not really enforced but bars and restaurants are definitely not allowed to serve alcohol). Schools have been closed all year. Cinemas closed. There are pockets of lockdown where they find cases: a street here, a building there. Every now and then a market will be shut down for two weeks because vendors test positive. 99% of adults are fully vaccinated in PP, but ofc you can still get the virus but be asymptomatic or not very sick. They've just started vaccinating high school students so they can reopen schools. Lots of kids wouldn't have computers at home, so for many there's been a lot of lost schooling, being unable to learn from home.

For me, business as usual really. I don't go to bars or go out after 9pm anyway.

Back