Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

Just thought this morning; this is the longest I've not worked for since I left school at 16.
The longest holiday I have had was my first trip back to the UK when I was about 32, and that was for six weeks. All other trips back have been for four weeks.
And, finally had my application for the micro-business support payment approved. Second jab September 15th. That can't come around quick enough now.
I wonder if Greater Sydney will be out of lockdown by then.

I'm really in 2 minds about what to do about this vaccine. I'm happy to be vaccinated and do my part to get the country back open, but there is just something that doesn't sit right with me about this roll out.

Firstly, the media beat up about AZ and blood clots, doesn't worry me. At the moment in Sydney, you have a 1 in 1 Million chance of dying from a blood clot from AZ. If you catch Covid, you have a 1 in 300 chance of dying, so about 3,000 times more likely. You are more likely to get a blood clot on a flight, or by smoking, or by taking the contraceptive pill (things we do everyday), than by getting AZ.

But what I don't like it that I feel we are basically being told in NSW, it's AZ or nothing. ATAGI initially said AZ was only suitable for over 50's, then they changed that advice to over 60's. Then they dropped it to 40's, then they said anyone over 18 can get it. Every time an outbreak gets worse,they suddenly lower the recommended age without batting an eyelid. If these outbreaks didn't occur, would AZ not be recommended for 30 year olds? I'm confused.

Australia gets 1 Million doses of Pfizer each week, but where they go isn't very transparent.

Here in NSW, the Government has taken all the Pfizer from regional NSW and are now giving them to Year 12 students 16 - 18 so they can go back to school. The group that is at the lowest risk of dying from Covid is being vaccinated as a priority. How ridiculous. How about we vaccinate the working population as a priority so they can get back to work and pay their bills. You know who doesn't have bills? Fucking 16 year olds.

The last week, the Premier has gotten up and whinged about how its the 18 - 35 year olds that are continuing to spread the virus and put most of the blame on that age group. Oh, so you mean the group that has no access to Pfizer, and has only been able to access AZ for 2-ish weeks is spreading the virus. You mean the age group that would generally fall under the 'essential worker' category as defined by the government, is out there spreading the virus? The people that actually have to go to work to get themselves out of the piles of debt they're in because the cost of living in this country is fucked, is spreading the virus? Oh ok, seems legit. But rather than help these people, we'll take your vaccines and give them to high school students so they can get their life back to normal. Good one Gladys.

Vaccination is essential to getting the country back on track, but people deserve a choice in which one they get. I get we don't have enough Pfizer, but that's because Scomo sat on his hands and put all his eggs in the AZ basket. Now, we're fucked.

Both the NSW Government and the Feds are basically holding Australia hostage at the moment, telling us we won't get our freedoms back until 80% of us is vaccinated. This is a very tough ask when you're basically telling people it's AZ or nothing. I get that AZ is safe, but we have to respect that some people don't want it.

/rant

I'm really in 2 minds about what to do about this vaccine. I'm happy to be vaccinated and do my part to get the country back open, but there is just something that doesn't sit right with me about this roll out.

Firstly, the media beat up about AZ and blood clots, doesn't worry me. At the moment in Sydney, you have a 1 in 1 Million chance of dying from a blood clot from AZ. If you catch Covid, you have a 1 in 300 chance of dying, so about 3,000 times more likely. You are more likely to get a blood clot on a flight, or by smoking, or by taking the contraceptive pill (things we do everyday), than by getting AZ.

But what I don't like it that I feel we are basically being told in NSW, it's AZ or nothing. ATAGI initially said AZ was only suitable for over 50's, then they changed that advice to over 60's. Then they dropped it to 40's, then they said anyone over 18 can get it. Every time an outbreak gets worse,they suddenly lower the recommended age without batting an eyelid. If these outbreaks didn't occur, would AZ not be recommended for 30 year olds? I'm confused.

Australia gets 1 Million doses of Pfizer each week, but where they go isn't very transparent.

Here in NSW, the Government has taken all the Pfizer from regional NSW and are now giving them to Year 12 students 16 - 18 so they can go back to school. The group that is at the lowest risk of dying from Covid is being vaccinated as a priority. How ridiculous. How about we vaccinate the working population as a priority so they can get back to work and pay their bills. You know who doesn't have bills? Fucking 16 year olds.

The last week, the Premier has gotten up and whinged about how its the 18 - 35 year olds that are continuing to spread the virus and put most of the blame on that age group. Oh, so you mean the group that has no access to Pfizer, and has only been able to access AZ for 2-ish weeks is spreading the virus. You mean the age group that would generally fall under the 'essential worker' category as defined by the government, is out there spreading the virus? The people that actually have to go to work to get themselves out of the piles of debt they're in because the cost of living in this country is fucked, is spreading the virus? Oh ok, seems legit. But rather than help these people, we'll take your vaccines and give them to high school students so they can get their life back to normal. Good one Gladys.

Vaccination is essential to getting the country back on track, but people deserve a choice in which one they get. I get we don't have enough Pfizer, but that's because Scomo sat on his hands and put all his eggs in the AZ basket. Now, we're fucked.

Both the NSW Government and the Feds are basically holding Australia hostage at the moment, telling us we won't get our freedoms back until 80% of us is vaccinated. This is a very tough ask when you're basically telling people it's AZ or nothing. I get that AZ is safe, but we have to respect that some people don't want it.

/rant
Everything you said there is so true. Too many mixed messages. Too many changed recommendations.
The only thing about not getting the jab, in time will be, no jab, no travel, no entry into sporting events, concerts, festivals and who knows where else.

Just thought this morning; this is the longest I've not worked for since I left school at 16.
The longest holiday I have had was my first trip back to the UK when I was about 32, and that was for six weeks. All other trips back have been for four weeks.
And, finally had my application for the micro-business support payment approved. Second jab September 15th. That can't come around quick enough now.
I wonder if Greater Sydney will be out of lockdown by then.
Pleased you got your support payment approved finally.

As of today, 50% of over-18s in Cambodia have had two shots (74% have had at least one shot). They started doing 12-17yos this week as well and did 80,000 on Monday. Obviously it's much easier to achieve numbers like this when you're using Sinovac and Sinopharm, of which there seems to be ample supply.

Having said that, the PM has announced we'll be getting AZ for third shots at some stage. Not sure where they are going to get 13m AZ doses from though.

I fear that the Qld government is making the same mistake as the NSW did at the start of their lockdown by leaving it up to the people to decide what is or is not essential in terms of shopping.

I feel
Thanks Isee.
How did you go with your jab? No side effects I hope.
My arm felt really heavy last night and I could have gone to bed at 7pm! Today I started work but have taken a half day as I started feeling lightheaded/dizzy. That is usually for me a sign of fatigue/tiredness. My partner is having worse side effects I think because he is on some fairly strong pain medication, and he often does not react well with vaccinations like the flu injection either. But we still would rather have this than covid as we both have asthma.

Well I am glad I am fully vaccinated ...with AZ, no real side effects, felt a bit funny/fluish for half a day

Especially now, and after hearing doctors and nurses tell us, every unvaxed Covid patient....
Arriving at hospital, all ask for the vax, before being ventilated, going into icu, they ALL BEG FOR VAX
Sorry, it’s too late now

Stay safe everyone, reconsider getting VAX younger ones

I feel

My arm felt really heavy last night and I could have gone to bed at 7pm! Today I started work but have taken a half day as I started feeling lightheaded/dizzy. That is usually for me a sign of fatigue/tiredness. My partner is having worse side effects I think because he is on some fairly strong pain medication, and he often does not react well with vaccinations like the flu injection either. But we still would rather have this than covid as we both have asthma.
I had a sore arm after my first shot, then about 6 hours later felt tired and had the crawly skin feeling you get when you're getting the chills. Had an early night, then the next morning I was fine, but by mid-morning, felt like I had jetlag. That lasted for about two hours, and I was fine after that.
My partner had no side affects whatsoever, so I wonder if he will after the second one, and I won't.

Well I am glad I am fully vaccinated ...with AZ, no real side effects, felt a bit funny/fluish for half a day

Especially now, and after hearing doctors and nurses tell us, every unvaxed Covid patient....
Arriving at hospital, all ask for the vax, before being ventilated, going into icu, they ALL BEG FOR VAX
Sorry, it’s too late now

Stay safe everyone, reconsider getting VAX younger ones

Geez i wish i was in VIC & not northern NSW. We have next to no vax up here. Our son is asthmatic, my Mr is booked for his pfizer next week (he booked it 6 weeks ago) I can't cos i'm not old enough. I hoping he doesn't get the text "soz, your date is pushed back, your shot is going to sydney kids" (<<< these texts aren't rumors, they are legit postponing )

Pissing me off soooo much when the NSW govt ad comes on with the ventilated chick telling us all to go & get vaccinated. I freaking would if i could *sobs*

P.S. - my little country town seems to be taking it seriously, thankfully. Over Byron Bay way tho - hardly any masks, lots of places with no QR scan codes, everyone still standing close to each other *shudder*

Geez i wish i was in VIC & not northern NSW. We have next to no vax up here. Our son is asthmatic, my Mr is booked for his pfizer next week (he booked it 6 weeks ago) I can't cos i'm not old enough. I hoping he doesn't get the text "soz, your date is pushed back, your shot is going to sydney kids" (<<< these texts aren't rumors, they are legit postponing )

Pissing me off soooo much when the NSW govt ad comes on with the ventilated chick telling us all to go & get vaccinated. I freaking would if i could *sobs*

P.S. - my little country town seems to be taking it seriously, thankfully. Over Byron Bay way tho - hardly any masks, lots of places with no QR scan codes, everyone still standing close to each other *shudder*
That's awful to hear.
It's such a mess.

Stay safe xx

Maybe they should have used AZ.

Yet the data does not suggest that this should be the case. Most sources claim the Pfizer to be more effective as well as more safer for younger people than the AZ. I do not trust either of these vaccines.

Federal Government really fucked up not given Australian's the choice of which vaccine they want and bringing in more brands. Novavax is my vaccine of choice and I will be waiting for it.

Last edited:
Back