Skip to main content

The Summit

I found myself hitting the 30sec skip button a lot. Why is it so tediously long?

As for the Cambodian guy, I can vouch that gay men here in Cambodia generally get married and have kids and have gay sex on the sly after work or whatever. It's more about societal expectations than homophobia in society. Although it seems there are increasing numbers of out gay men as time goes on. And it's no big deal and there are no laws against it or anything.

There was an Anneki, who got to speak because she was going.
Anneki has actually had quite a lot of airtime. She was the one who fell into a hole climbing the snowy slope the previous episode and held up the whole group as she struggled up through the snow. She's had loads of confessionals the last few eps, endless replays of her in city scapes "crumping", and has been a real pain in the arse in my view, so I was glad she got the hoof and not Isaac.

Also, the one in the pink is Lulu, who is only in the background still, this many eps in, and the taller one in I think blue with the longer brown hair is Indi, who is at least referred to occasionally by the others. It is weird to still have background characters/contestants this many eps in.

The weakest part of the show is all the rope challenges. You've seem all you need to see after a few minutes yet it drags on and on for another 10-15 minutes till everyone has finally crossed.

The strategic side of the game has actually been decent, especially for the first ever series. That and the conflict between the fit and the less fit and the Jacqui- Brooke stuff was pretty good.

I think Phil is the most likely to finish last in the 1km "sprint" but we'll see.

I think a running race is massively unfair in a 'game' like this.
It isn't gladiators, it shouldn't be just about who is physically fitter.
The real drama comes in seeing ordinary people pushing themselves (and who supports or turns on each other), but realistically they're not going to beat athletes.

It looks like there is some kind of self-sacrifice, so I wouldn't be surprised if Alex or someone lets others pass him.

Good riddance!

I can't believe Brooke has fallen for that con-man.
Same, it was so obvious when he was speaking to all of them that he didn't mean it. He said I love each one of you, lol. Brook is very naive and may be needy too. He was not even clever about what he said to her (sigh) I am naive but even I would not have believed a word he said

Last edited:
I love the Summit it is now one of my favourite shows. I love the twists, I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do. I have never felt that I had to fast forward any part of it, unlike all the other Reality TV I watch.

It just doesn't fit my TV viewing schedule at the moment. When I went to check out the first episode it was a case of, "Oh I don't have two hours right now."
I record it so I can fast forward the adds and the recaps after the adds, so it doesn't take 2 hours

I was just thinking as I watched the last ep, what a pity it was Brooke got rid of Jackie so soon, and also about how unfair it was for the poor sock guy to get the chop so early on... Looking forward to Sunday.

The "Mountain's Keeper" is the most stupid thing ever. Chance of this format being sold/picked up overseas has got to be zero.

The "Mountain's Keeper" is the most stupid thing ever. Chance of this format being sold/picked up overseas has got to be zero.
The mountain keeper and the host are the things I'd scrap/change.
The contrivance of them all calling the mountain keeper "she" and talking about her in reverence is dumb.
Yes, the helicopter pilot could well be a woman, but too much emphasis is put on it.

I did write a big reply but then an error came up & I didn't copy it

Can't be f***ed typing it all out again

It is very contrived, I agree. The other week when they had to cross the lake to start that days trek - the time stamp showed 11.30am before the helicopter came over with their missing bag of $$$.. The reason they are so late and behind is more the fault of the producers I think, probably making them wait around needlessly whilst they decide on how to throw some drama into that days events.

Even the solo confessionals must take up a bit of time to orchestrate. If they allow every cast member to participate in a confessional, then this could potentially take an hour or so out of their walking - and how many confessionals do they do each day?

The bag of $$$ being left outside was a bit silly. They even stated that they never left it outside before & tonight is the night the 'theft' is scheduled they just happened to leave the bag outside. Their might not be many chances of a stray person walking past to steal money - considering where they are, but just the overnight dew etc would make the bag wet and heavier to carry so of course you would store it inside a tent overnight.

I'm guessing the latest twist where the evicted persons get to choose how the $$$ is split between the ones who get up to the summit is rather annoying. You are asked to put a name forward for someone to leave & that in itself could cost you a lot of prize $$$$..

These reality game shows where they make the rules on the fly are interesting - on one hand they are nasty and unfair & on the other side they come across as entertaining, when you see a schemer get caught out & punished..

I do like this show - but it does have some major annoying flaws, one of which is how scripted it has become. But I find it entertaining as well to watch them all scurry up the hill to what might be a complete waste of time ...

I sort of hope Jans wins now, as he is so scheming and selfish - for me, it sort of fits the narrative of this show - that some self absorbed nobody wins it

This show has so much potential but they keep squandering it.

The latest twist with letting the bitter losers decide if anyone gets any money is a terrible idea.

I did write a big reply but then an error came up & I didn't copy it

Can't be f***ed typing it all out again

It is very contrived, I agree. The other week when they had to cross the lake to start that days trek - the time stamp showed 11.30am before the helicopter came over with their missing bag of $$$.. The reason they are so late and behind is more the fault of the producers I think, probably making them wait around needlessly whilst they decide on how to throw some drama into that days events.

Even the solo confessionals must take up a bit of time to orchestrate. If they allow every cast member to participate in a confessional, then this could potentially take an hour or so out of their walking - and how many confessionals do they do each day?

The bag of $$$ being left outside was a bit silly. They even stated that they never left it outside before & tonight is the night the 'theft' is scheduled they just happened to leave the bag outside. Their might not be many chances of a stray person walking past to steal money - considering where they are, but just the overnight dew etc would make the bag wet and heavier to carry so of course you would store it inside a tent overnight.

I'm guessing the latest twist where the evicted persons get to choose how the $$$ is split between the ones who get up to the summit is rather annoying. You are asked to put a name forward for someone to leave & that in itself could cost you a lot of prize $$$$..

These reality game shows where they make the rules on the fly are interesting - on one hand they are nasty and unfair & on the other side they come across as entertaining, when you see a schemer get caught out & punished..

I do like this show - but it does have some major annoying flaws, one of which is how scripted it has become. But I find it entertaining as well to watch them all scurry up the hill to what might be a complete waste of time ...

I sort of hope Jans wins now, as he is so scheming and selfish - for me, it sort of fits the narrative of this show - that some self absorbed nobody wins it
I knew exactly where my thinking was about the show, than I read your post and now I don't know any more, lol.
There is so much I miss when watching it, I don't know how people here can see all the manipulation (sigh)
I want Jans to win because the others are even more naive than me. The twist might just take the money away from him I think.
I really like The Summit, I like it better than BB on 7

I knew exactly where my thinking was about the show, than I read your post and now I don't know any more, lol.
There is so much I miss when watching it, I don't know how people here can see all the manipulation (sigh)
I want Jans to win because the others are even more naive than me. The twist might just take the money away from him I think.
I really like The Summit, I like it better than BB on 7
*** SPOILER ALERT***

Somehow I don't think Jans will be in the final 4 after this checkpoint. Stupid CH 9 had a preview of tonight's show at the end of last nights show & showed 4 of the 5 people crossing some obstacle - it sort of lets you know who ISN'T going to be there - which means you know who will be voted out from this check point.

The manipulation of producers is quite evident - they tell the team that they only have a certain time frame to get to the top of the mountain (14 days) but then intentionally slow them down with obstacles that take up a lot of time to cross AND film. Last nights episode is a prime example, if the time to get to the summit is so critical then why did they waste time flying 5 people 1 at a time hung underneath the helicopter??? Why not just say choose someone to leave now & the other 5 get in the chopper and we will fly you over the glacier. That would have take 10-20 mins max, instead they choose a method that would have taken hours to perform.
This show has so much potential but they keep squandering it.

The latest twist with letting the bitter losers decide if anyone gets any money is a terrible idea.

I agree.

Imagine getting to the top, outlasting all those times when people where cut loose --- only to have someone decide that you're not getting anything because you nominated them because they were slow or whatever...

If they ever do this show again, you might end up with people not wanting to participate by nominating people so they don't get targeted at the end. I think a reality show is better when you see how people really feel rather than them trying to hide what they think due to what they perceive may happen to them at some later date.

Such a shame the girls were swayed by Jans, and for such a crap reason.
It's no one's decision to decide who to vote out based on how much money they guess someone has.

I bet Brooke felt like such a fool when she watched the show back and saw Jans cackling like Precious Pup.

I don't think the show is fair. If they say that when they are at the top they will share the money, that should be it.
If they want a jury they should have done what they do on Survivor.

Back