Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

Labor should do what they did when they unseated John Howard and put a high profile Australian as a Labor candidate to oppose Tony Abbott in the next election.

What was their reasoning?

Different reasoning. Some of them not the standard reasoning I have heard.

I think this poll will not even be close. I am predicting a 64% "No" to a 36% "Yes".

Expecting some of those who say they are voting yes publicly will be voting no in the poll.

Different reasoning. Some of them not the standard reasoning I have heard.

I think this poll will not even be close. I am predicting a 64% "No" to a 36% "Yes".

Expecting some of those who say they are voting yes publicly will be voting no in the poll.

I'm predicting a 52 % yes to 48 % no with a less than 50 % turnout.

I've spoken to a few people about it today. Overwhelming majority is a no.

Yeah, nah.

The "yes" side on same-sex marriage is headed for a resounding victory with seven out of 10 definite voters backing a change to the law, a Fairfax/Ipsos poll has found.

Some 65 per cent of respondents rated themselves "certain" to take part in the voluntary postal survey, and of those 70 per cent said they would vote "yes".

Full article: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ng-those-certain-to-vote-20170911-gyewa6.html

Labor should do what they did when they unseated John Howard and put a high profile Australian as a Labor candidate to oppose Tony Abbott in the next election.

I have said the same thing myself. I don't think Labor even bothered to run a candidate against him last time.

Yeah, nah.

The "yes" side on same-sex marriage is headed for a resounding victory with seven out of 10 definite voters backing a change to the law, a Fairfax/Ipsos poll has found.

Some 65 per cent of respondents rated themselves "certain" to take part in the voluntary postal survey, and of those 70 per cent said they would vote "yes".

Full article: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-polit...ng-those-certain-to-vote-20170911-gyewa6.html

I have said the same thing myself. I don't think Labor even bothered to run a candidate against him last time.

The overwhelming majority of the ones I spoke to.

I am predicting this will be like a Trump moment. Shock result. We will see though.

Yes, I am getting used to being disappointed by poll results, be it Australian elections, Brexit or Trump. I am kinda sick of it so I hope Yes prevails this time. It will be gut wrenching to all LGBTI people if this "survey" is lost. Especially the young and closeted, who have no-one to talk to, to help them through it. The effects on those people in particular could be devastating. Imagine the population judging you, @Affable, how would you feel if a nationwide poll said "we think you are not worth as much as everyone else"?

This article actually had some great responses to some of the arguments. distrurbingly marrying children as young as 12 was legal in Australia until 1940's and 50s. So much for "traditional marriage"

http://www.mamamia.com.au/same-sex-marriage-myths/

It is such a shame the thousands of kiwis living here that have not become citizens cannot vote - every kiwi I know in Australia would vote a resounding yes to equality.

Yes, I am getting used to being disappointed by poll results, be it Australian elections, Brexit or Trump. I am kinda sick of it so I hope Yes prevails this time. It will be gut wrenching to all LGBTI people if this "survey" is lost. Especially the young and closeted, who have no-one to talk to, to help them through it. The effects on those people in particular could be devastating. Imagine the population judging you, @Affable, how would you feel if a nationwide poll said "we think you are not worth as much as everyone else"?

Obviously disappointed. It is not a good feeling but nothing much can be done about it.

It is such a shame the thousands of kiwis living here that have not become citizens cannot vote - every kiwi I know in Australia would vote a resounding yes to equality.
I took out Australian citizenship in the late 90s, just after Howard has introduced stupid "Aussie knowledge" questions about Don Bradman and shit. I still vote in NZ elections though. I've already voted for Jacinda.

Obviously disappointed. It is not a good feeling but nothing much can be done about it.
If it fails now, it'll be passed by Labor (assuming it gets past the Senate) after the next election. But I'd rather not wait. It's shameful a whole lot of people who are not LGBTI have any say in the issue. It's not about their rights is it?

I took out Australian citizenship in the late 90s, just after Howard has introduced stupid "Aussie knowledge" questions about Don Bradman and shit. I still vote in NZ elections though. I've already voted for Jacinda.
We looked into the permanent residency thing early this year but will cost $10k for the two of us just to get residency, and then probably the same for citizenship. We don't have that kind of money to spare. But I do get to vote in NZ and yes printed my voting papers today two more votes for Jacinda from this house too :)

We looked into the permanent residency thing early this year but will cost $10k for the two of us just to get residency, and then probably the same for citizenship. We don't have that kind of money to spare. But I do get to vote in NZ and yes printed my voting papers today two more votes for Jacinda from this house too :)
Good grief that's a lot of money! Why so expensive? I only paid a couple of hundred but that was ~20 years ago.

Good grief that's a lot of money! Why so expensive? I only paid a couple of hundred but that was ~20 years ago.
I have no idea... Govenment departments and immigration agencies trying to extort money. We have to prove our worth to the country I guess. Anyway I am taking the thread off topic.

I just want to believe that this country will not embarrass itself further by continuing to be so far behind with what so many other countries reconise as a human right. I want to believe that gay couples can get married in aus if they want by the end of this year. I hope its not too much to ask!

DJf3WsOXkAEowkW.jpg

I just hope all those who think the Yes vote is a no-brainer actually bother to vote and don't take the result for granted
because they'll have noone to blame but their own lazy selves if we get stuck in the dark ages with a no vote

21317905_784465581723615_4252086379515429967_n.jpg

I just hope all those who think the Yes vote is a no-brainer actually bother to vote and don't take the result for granted
because they'll have noone to blame but their own lazy selves if we get stuck in the dark ages with a no vote
Exactly. The only way for the Yes vote to win is to convince supporters who really think it's not such a big deal to tick the box and post the stupid forms back. Complacency will only result in a Brexit/Trump disaster.

So all of you who are supporters, over the next week or so, make sure you check with your mum, your dad, your brothers and sisters, your friends and your workmates and check they have posted their votes back. That's much more effective (not to mention easier) than trying to sway a No voter into voting Yes.

Back