Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

The thing I find frustrating about any "no" discussion I see on social media is that it is not no on the subject in question - allowing two consenting adults of any gender the same legal right to marry. They are all about sex education in schools, or children not being brought up without a mother and father, or people being able to marry animals or children next. It is actually really hard to have a rational discussion on a subject and learn any understand from each other when you are fundamentally talking about entirely different things.

I have no particular stake in this. I am hetero as far as I can tell. De facto twice and married once and all somewhat unsuccessfully. Gah! (Maybe I'm just not cut out for marriage? Or have I just made poor choices??) There were some good parts but not so great that we stayed together... No assets were exchanged in any case. So it's all a bit of a Storm in a Teacup to me..... who even cares any more if you are married or not. Is it about money?

Or kids. If kids, then I guess I am out of my league. But then again kids are as far as I can tell created from hetero relationships. Mainly.

Luckily I am OS and don't have to vote.

Last edited:
^^ Wow, some mistruths in there.

He lies about children being better off with a mother and father - Studies have shown that children of same sex couples are no worse off than those of different sex parents.

Also the notion that this has been "forced on us" - yes, it was forced on us by Tony Abbott. Someone I am pretty sure this guy would vote for.

I note he has disabled comments on this video, demonstrating he does not want to engage with or hear from anyone who disagree with him.

I just saw this on Youtube:

Wasn't paying attention so not sure what to think.
yes this just proves my point! I do wonder if this was couched in terms of two consenting adults then it would negate a lot of the arguments

^^ Wow, some mistruths in there.

He lies about children being better off with a mother and father - Studies have shown that children of same sex couples are no worse off than those of different sex parents.

Also the notion that this has been "forced on us" - yes, it was forced on us by Tony Abbott. Someone I am pretty sure this guy would vote for.

I note he has disabled comments on this video, demonstrating he does not want to engage with or hear from anyone who disagree with him.

Exactly the same thoughts I had after watching the video. The fact that he disabled the comments section of the video says a lot. Thank god he has had only 7,000 views in the last month with more dislikes than likes. Hopefully this means that the majority of people in Australia don't hold the same views as him.

It's a long time, thank God, since gay people have been discriminated against and just about everyone old enough to remember that time is invariably embarrassed at the intolerance that was once common (snip)

This just isn't true at all. It hasn't been a long time, or any time at all. The discrimination goes on every day, and by denying the 'YES' vote, it enables people to justify their stance. I come into contact with a lot of straight men in the over 50 demographic, and have this week had conversations with up to three at a time, all arguing vehemently that they are "in the right" in their determination to vote no. The only reasons they can give is "it's just not right". These men aren't monsters, and they aren't horrible people. But it is a case of rock meets immovable object. Their minds can't be changed. They don't hate gay people, they just see this as an issue that has no relevance to them, and there is no decision to make.

Back