Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

No I don't think someone should get banned for voting no! How ridiculous!

I will vote yes and I hope others do too for so many reasons that, BUT people are allowed to vote no, right? My Aunty is voting no which mildly sickens me but that's her opinion I guess. I can't expect the "other side" to come around if I am unwilling to do this myself.

Apologies in advance if this proves controversial, I strongly support marriage equality but don't think individuals should be vilified for having a different opinion.

And I disagree......

20031585_779365855575908_8176889420285044077_n.jpg

Apologies in advance if this proves controversial, I strongly support marriage equality but don't think individuals should be vilified for having a different opinion.
Don't apologise for that, everyone is entitled to their opinion*

*even if their opinion is a load of shit**
**oh damn, it's comments like this that won Trump the presidency isn't it?

Will they ban that add?

Surely they have to - you are not allowed to mislead or lie, make claims that are not true with any other product?
Because it's not an actual plebiscite, the AEC rules don't apply to any ads (at this point). Hopefully that will change. Also, the networks are quite entitled to refuse to air any ads, so it would be interesting to see if all three commercial networks are airing them. At the moment I think they all need every dollar in revenue they can get though. Especially Ten lol.

CATHOLIC SUPPORT YES VOTE

TWO prestigious Catholic schools have spoken out in defence of gay marriage, arguing the sacrament must evolve with the times.

The rectors of Melbourne’s Xavier College and Sydney’s Saint Ignatius’ College, whose alumni include Opposition Leader Bill Shorten and former prime minister Tony Abbott respectively, have written to parents and staff arguing the Catholic Church’s understanding of marriage stretches beyond procreation.
It comes days after Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart urged Catholics to vote against change in the upcoming postal survey on gay marriage for the “health and future” of society.

But Xavier College rector, Father Chris Middleton warns there is a “real disconnect” between the church’s opposition to gay civil marriage and the attitudes of young people.

“In my experience, there is almost total unanimity among the young in favour of same-sex marriage, and arguments against it have almost no impact on them,” he writes in the school newsletter.

“Whatever of the postal vote, the Church needs to reflect on why there is such strong support for same-sex marriage among the young.

ec5436fc0d7ca79581587e17b8388e1a

Young supporters during a marriage equality rally in Melbourne, Saturday, August 26, 2017. Picture: AAP.Source:AAP

“They are driven by a strong emotional commitment to equality, and this is surely something to respect and admire.” He said young people understood the destructiveness of homophobia and had an idealistic view of love — “the primary gospel value”.

“Any argument against same-sex marriage must respectfully address these core values, or they will fail a basic test of credibility with our young.” Father Ross Jones of Saint Ignatius’ College argues same-sex couples want to commit to each other for the same reasons as heterosexual couples, “by reflecting on experience and on what it is to be human, using their God-given reason.”

Father Middleton said understandings of marriage within the Catholic Church had evolved with the times, in areas such as arranged marriages, the role of women and divorce.

He also warned the church’s ability to speak out against gay marriage had been compromised by allegations of sexual abuse among its clergy. He said important issues around religious freedom were more likely to be respected if the church was not seen as an “uncompromising enemy” of same-sex marriage.

No I don't think someone should get banned for voting no! How ridiculous!

I will vote yes and I hope others do too for so many reasons that, BUT people are allowed to vote no, right? My Aunty is voting no which mildly sickens me but that's her opinion I guess. I can't expect the "other side" to come around if I am unwilling to do this myself.

I think there is a difference between voting no and showing strong opposition against it.

If one wants to vote no, then I don't have a problem with it. It becomes a problem if they become homophobic about it and everything. Has not happened so I am not worried about it.

Because it's not an actual plebiscite, the AEC rules don't apply to any ads (at this point). Hopefully that will change. Also, the networks are quite entitled to refuse to air any ads, so it would be interesting to see if all three commercial networks are airing them. At the moment I think they all need every dollar in revenue they can get though. Especially Ten lol.

I think it breaches the general code acceptable for advertisements on tv, any product is not allowed to mislead/outright lie, confuse and abuse the power of advertising products in general.

I think there is a difference between voting no and showing strong opposition against it.

If one wants to vote no, then I don't have a problem with it. It becomes a problem if they become homophobic about it and everything. Has not happened so I am not worried about it.

I agree, although they are just showing support for their belief much like those who go to same sex rallies and the like are.

But honestly I agree completely, the no campaigns obviously feel very jarring, I guess for this reason, one is based on just wanting a very basic human right that is so archaic to not already be something accessible, while the other is based on homophobia and hatred and denying people things for absolutely no good reason.

CATHOLIC SUPPORT YES VOTE

TWO prestigious Catholic schools have spoken out in defence of gay marriage, arguing the sacrament must evolve with the times.

The rectors of Melbourne’s Xavier College and Sydney’s Saint Ignatius’ College, whose alumni include Opposition Leader Bill Shorten and former prime minister Tony Abbott respectively, have written to parents and staff arguing the Catholic Church’s understanding of marriage stretches beyond procreation.
It comes days after Melbourne Archbishop Denis Hart urged Catholics to vote against change in the upcoming postal survey on gay marriage for the “health and future” of society.

But Xavier College rector, Father Chris Middleton warns there is a “real disconnect” between the church’s opposition to gay civil marriage and the attitudes of young people.

“In my experience, there is almost total unanimity among the young in favour of same-sex marriage, and arguments against it have almost no impact on them,” he writes in the school newsletter.

“Whatever of the postal vote, the Church needs to reflect on why there is such strong support for same-sex marriage among the young.

ec5436fc0d7ca79581587e17b8388e1a

Young supporters during a marriage equality rally in Melbourne, Saturday, August 26, 2017. Picture: AAP.Source:AAP

“They are driven by a strong emotional commitment to equality, and this is surely something to respect and admire.” He said young people understood the destructiveness of homophobia and had an idealistic view of love — “the primary gospel value”.

“Any argument against same-sex marriage must respectfully address these core values, or they will fail a basic test of credibility with our young.” Father Ross Jones of Saint Ignatius’ College argues same-sex couples want to commit to each other for the same reasons as heterosexual couples, “by reflecting on experience and on what it is to be human, using their God-given reason.”

Father Middleton said understandings of marriage within the Catholic Church had evolved with the times, in areas such as arranged marriages, the role of women and divorce.

He also warned the church’s ability to speak out against gay marriage had been compromised by allegations of sexual abuse among its clergy. He said important issues around religious freedom were more likely to be respected if the church was not seen as an “uncompromising enemy” of same-sex marriage.

This isn't all that surprising to me. My family's Catholic and the majority I've spoken with will vote yes if it comes to it, and they're not just telling me that because they know I'm a gay. :p Interestingly I have a few friends that are Pentecostal who will most likely vote no.

I don't think individuals should be vilified for having a different opinion.

I think your statement is VERY controversial... I struggle to see how someone's "opinion" can be infallible just because it's someones "opinion"... Sometimes it's perfectly fine to state there is in fact a right or wrong answer... Do you also think it's wrong to condemn white supremacists? Do you think it's wrong to vilify Islamic terrorism? Both those groups seem to have very a different outlook on the world???

I hope you can see where you've gone off the track here... So in the future let's save statements like that for things like whether someone like's red or white wine NOT whether or not governments should deny someone's human rights... OK?

Last edited:
Reactions: kxk
Although it's American politics I still think the underlying message here is the same... Should there be institutionalized discrimination against LGBT people? The only correct answer to that question is... NO!

Reactions: kxk
I think the government is counting on apathy among the Australian public so that they can continue to discriminate against LGBT people. They want this to fail.

I wouldn't vilify a person on the no side, but I would vilify their opinions for being so insanely bigoted and showcasing that they had no soul or shred of humanity in them.

Back