Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

oh don't forget to add to your list a man and a woman only getting married if you are planning on procreating, as marriage is all about having children according to so many no arguments I have seen. Obviously If you are unable to have children, are too old to, or simply don't want to marriage is not for you. :rolleyes:

Absolutely, there shouled be compulsory fertility testing in order to get your marriage licence and if you are too old then too bad, no marriage for you as it's unnatural! There should also be heavy fines for every year of marriage where you don't have a baby, as that is also unnatural.

Right?

Absolutely, there shouled be compulsory fertility testing in order to get your marriage licence and if you are too old then too bad, no marriage for you as it's unnatural! There should also be heavy fines for every year of marriage where you don't have a baby, as that is also unnatural.

Right?
absolutely marriage is solely for the purpose of procreating. So I guess the opposite applies too - no marriage -no procreation! Children outside of matrimony never happens!

This one is an interesting issue. The two stage process:

1. Postal Survey

2. Parliamentary vote.

Even if 1 is passed, they don't have to go ahead with 2.

I've seen countless friends and myself supportive of marriage equality posting and sharing the last week. I never thought of myself as progressive - some of my friends are, but I thought it was normal to support marriage equality. I just saw the first person I know post "Man + Woman. I stand for God's original design" and it makes me feel sick. I just wasn't prepared for this.

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. I just saw some Facebook page with a post on the issue to enrol to vote and majority (3/5 approx) of them were writing "I will vote no" or the like. It is kind of sad that it has come to this.

Reactions: kxk
Very worried
We need the youth vote, and too many of them do not register to vote
Migrants and refugees that can vote, generally vote no for everything, they do not want change - doesn't matter what it is
Catholic churches are starting to rumble - despite the Pope being kind of for equality
Dumb people tend to vote no, if it is too hard to understand or decide = no
No votes just have a tendency to win, no/negative people love saying no to everything

I think it is high time for new politics....start our own.....different from....an actual people party, based on community, consulting......working out of community centres and free legal community services.
2 party systems are collapsing everywhere, we need a new way forward

Very worried
Migrants and refugees that can vote, generally vote no for everything, they do not want change - doesn't matter what it is
Catholic churches are starting to rumble - despite the Pope being kind of for equality
No votes just have a tendency to win, no/negative people love saying no to everything

I think it is high time for new politics....start our own.....different from....an actual people party, based on community, consulting......working out of community centres and free legal community services.

I do agree with you. I think that the end result will be a no.

I think it will be a yes, but the survey response will be low and the Government will use that as an excuse to not go forward with it. Because obviously the Government has set this up that they'll have the no vote win even if the Yes vote is in the majority.

Very worried

I believe younger voters do vote if they feel there is an option to vote for. In more recent times in many countries younger voters have abstained because no options reflect what they want. This is a cause that may get some of them to vote. It does sound like a lot of people have enrolled.

Migrants and refugees are ineligble to vote. Only citizens. At what point can someone lose the label of a migrant or refugee? surely by the time they have gone through the rigmarole that is getting citizenship they can be called Australians instead?

I personally think what is more of a concern with this survey is that is only the people passionate about 1 result or the other that will vote. There are a lot of people that sit in the middle... ones who think I am not gay, I don't have any immediate friends or family who are gay this doesn't concern me and I don't care. They are unlikely to vote at all.

There are a lot of people that sit in the middle... ones who think I am not gay, I don't have any immediate friends or family who are gay this doesn't concern me and I don't care. They are unlikely to vote at all.
I agree with you. The younger set will be all "yay gay" and actually get politically involved for the first time.

The "yes" campaign might need need to focus on the message: "Don't be complacent. Complacency gave the UK Brexit and the US Trump. Vote yes."

Gruen starts again soon, and I'd put $1000 on it they will weigh in on the subject. Wil Anderson is a massive supporter.

Very worried

They said on The Project that since this vote was announced, 68k people have enquired about registering to vote.

My other issue with a postal vote - Australia Post. Australia Post is a joke, slow and inaccurate - I doubt it is better in other countries. Post in general is snail mail. It's redundant. Why are we using post in 2017 when we did our census last year online?

Reactions: kxk
My other issue with a postal vote - Australia Post. Australia Post is a joke, slow and inaccurate - I doubt it is better in other countries. Post in general is snail mail. It's redundant. Why are we using post in 2017 when we did our census last year online?
Because they want to weigh rig it in favour of old people (No voters), not internet-savvy youngsters (Yes voters).

Election 2016: Hundreds of thousands of young voters missing from electoral roll, AEC says
By Stephanie Anderson

At the 2013 federal election, more than 1.2 million eligible voters were missing from the electoral roll.

Figures from the Australian Electoral Commission (AEC) at the end of last month show more than 94 per cent of eligible Australians were enrolled to vote in this poll.

But that means about 955,000 people were not enrolled to vote.

The 18 to 24-year-old demographic has the worst numbers on voter enrolment.

Nearly half of all 18-year-olds, and a total of nearly 350,000 young people, are not enrolled to vote.

As the election campaign has progressed, it is expected those figures have climbed, though more recent data is not yet available.

But as the close of the electoral roll draws near, advocacy groups have urged young people to
make sure their voice can be heard.

A campaign video from activist group GetUp! Australia encourages parents and grandparents to make sure young people are enrolled.

Because they want to weigh rig it in favour of old people (No voters), not internet-savvy youngsters (Yes voters).

It's sad. We are a country that has compulsory voting unless it is about people's basic human rights. Then that is a completely different matter

It's sad. We are a country that has compulsory voting unless it is about people's basic human rights. Then that is a completely different matter
They are only doing it in the vague hope the No vote gets up, so they can walk away from the matter altogether. $122m wasted.

From the latest Newspoll:

The poll contains encouraging news for the yes case in the postal ballot, with 63% saying they would vote yes to the plebiscite question, compared with 30% who would vote no. More than two thirds of people (67%) said they definitely intended to vote; another 15% said they probably would.

Nearly half (49%) said they were in favour of the postal plebiscite while 43% were opposed.

Asked whether parliament should provide guarantees in law for freedom of conscience, belief and religion if it legislated for same-sex marriage, 62% said yes and 18% said no.

The support for same sex marriage is strongest among younger voters, with 70% of those aged 18-34 in favour. It is lowest among those aged over 65, with only 49% supporting it.

DHtjrwnUMAAPtRv.jpg

Back