Skip to main content

The Plebiscite for Marriage Equality

I think the government is counting on apathy among the Australian public so that they can continue to discriminate against LGBT people. They want this to fail.

Part of me wants this vote to fail so that it can be an example of why issues like this should not be a matter for a popular vote...

Last edited:
But I was attacking their opinions, not their personality.

tenor.gif

I think your statement is VERY controversial... I struggle to see how someone's "opinion" can be infallible just because it's someones "opinion"... Sometimes it's perfectly fine to state there is in fact a right or wrong answer... Do you also think it's wrong to condemn white supremacists? Do you think it's wrong to vilify Islamic terrorism? Both those groups seem to have very a different outlook on the world???

I hope you can see where you've gone off the track here... So in the future let's save statements like that for things like whether someone like's red or white wine NOT whether or not governments should deny someone's human rights... OK?

No I don't think I went off track, I was simply responding to content in here, seems like it's you who is steering away from topic by talking about things completely unrelated. Someone mentioned that a member should be banned for planning to vote no, which I personally think is not really appropriate, so I said so.

I am personally invested in the outcome of this plebiscite and sincerely hope for a yes result, so hopefully you do not interpret my posts in any other way.

No I don't think someone should get banned for voting no! How ridiculous!

I will vote yes and I hope others do too for so many reasons that, BUT people are allowed to vote no, right? My Aunty is voting no which mildly sickens me but that's her opinion I guess. I can't expect the "other side" to come around if I am unwilling to do this myself.

Apologies in advance if this proves controversial, I strongly support marriage equality but don't think individuals should be vilified for having a different opinion.

No I don't think I went off track, I was simply responding to content in here, seems like it's you who is steering away from topic by talking about things completely unrelated. Someone mentioned that a member should be banned for planning to vote no, which I personally think is not really appropriate, so I said so.

I am personally invested in the outcome of this plebiscite and sincerely hope for a yes result, so hopefully you do not interpret my posts in any other way.

Bullshit @jessy_girl ....utter bullshit

@Kingston.....has responded succinctly just why you are wrong...

No voters are either fuckwits that deserve banning, or old dodders that are beyond logic and well into dementia.

There is no reasonable support for torturing our fellow humans, so ban em

And might I remind you this forum has a large gay presence, and is owned by a gay man .....so I say fuck of no voters, go play with dickheads some place else.
I am not politically correct because I would prefer to be actually correct....:)

Bullshit @jessy_girl ....utter bullshit

@Kingston.....has responded succinctly just why you are wrong...

No voters are either fuckwits that deserve banning, or old dodders that are beyond logic and well into dementia.

There is no reasonable support for torturing our fellow humans, so ban em

And might I remind you this forum has a large gay presence, and is owned by a gay man .....so I say fuck of no voters, go play with dickheads some place else.
I am not politically correct because I would prefer to be actually correct....:)

But why should they be banned? This is just a big brother forum so it doesn't really seem like the terms of service would include that you must vote a particular way. I am not in favour of their opinion at all and would be genuinely hope they change their mind and also would prefer they not be around me or my family in any large capacity if they really hold that strong opinion, but if they still wish to be a regular civil poster on a forum for a tv show then that opinion alone is not sufficient reason to be banned IMO.

And no need to remind me of that fact, I am well aware. Might I remind you that I am also among that presence and that I face this prejudice regularly and in my one year of motherhood have already sadly found my son to be discriminated against for reasons far beyond his control. I am only mentioning this to try give some context and to emphasise I am in no way a no voter and and my belief that someone shouldn't be banned for voting for no in way reflects my political beliefs or is in anyway naive to the experiences of being a gay person in Australia.

I realise I am alone in this thought and that's ok, I honestly don't mean to defend it, I guess I just feel the need to defend myself.

if they get banned it may force them to become even more stubborn in their beliefs. but if they continue t post here they might see how wrong that they are. show them humanity to bring out their darkened soul into the light.

Pity about the loss in the High Court. Next couple of months will be ~interesting.

Sadly I'm preparing myself for a no result.

Pity about the loss in the High Court. Next couple of months will be ~interesting.

Sadly I'm preparing myself for a no result.
The No voters are unlikely to change their minds, and the furphies being spread by ACL/CFM (fears about Safe Schools, erosion of rights and free speech etc) are actually gaining traction so the No vote is gaining ground, even though these arguments have nothing to do with marriage equality. People can be so gullible.

However don't give up. If you engage with someone, stay classy and use reason to try and talk them around. Abusing them and calling them idiots will only increase their resolve to crush the issue.

Having said that, if someone says they are voting no because they are sick of hearing about it, you might remind them that voting YES is the fastest way to make the issue go away, because we will never give up the fight for equality. And that is the truth.

Stay positive.

One of my local church op shops has lovely skinny rainbow scarves......talk kindly to old folk about their vote, persuade no voters politely.

I hope more oldies are on the side of yes, they get more quirky and rebellious with age, and I think plenty change their minds about marriages.....
Many of the surviving women were stuck with arseholes when it was impossible to leave.....I know I have met a few old ladies who have now enjoyed a male free life since hubbie died 20 years ago.....and they look a bit wistful thinking of same sex relationships, and the independence women have now.

The No voters are unlikely to change their minds, and the furphies being spread by ACL/CFM (fears about Safe Schools, erosion of rights and free speech etc) are actually gaining traction so the No vote is gaining ground, even though these arguments have nothing to do with marriage equality. People can be so gullible.

However don't give up. If you engage with someone, stay classy and use reason to try and talk them around. Abusing them and calling them idiots will only increase their resolve to crush the issue.

Having said that, if someone says they are voting no because they are sick of hearing about it, you might remind them that voting YES is the fastest way to make the issue go away, because we will never give up the fight for equality. And that is the truth.

Stay positive.

That is honestly great advice about how to approach it. Realistically I don't expect to be able to change someone's mind, partly because they won't change mine, but shouting at them or abusing them will achieve nothing.

My aunty is voting no and I spoke to her about it today, her arguments are pretty weak but maybe she'd think the same of mine.

It is frustrating that it's been dragged out so much already, but I suspect that's definitely intentional.

Back