Skip to main content

The Masked Singer AU 2020

I’ve seen Lucy Durack perform nearly a hundred times so her voice and legs were an instant giveaway for me. But funnily enough, the clues actually didn't make me think of her until she started singing.

But in hindsight, some clues that connect:
  • stage lights/"determined to survive in the world's toughest environment" - similar to Frillneck/Eddie Perfect's clues, this must be alluding to the entertainment industry
  • suitcase with various cities - has toured all over the place
  • the horse racing and neigh sound effects - her husband's surname is Horsey
  • "I've walked the most hallowed turf in the land" - I'm picking out a few things here... "hallowed turf" = has performed at the MCG, but might also be referencing the theatrical stage, perhaps even an obscure lyric from Wicked is "hallowed halls of Shiz", not to mention "the land (of Oz)"
  • "I'm a bit of a Princess" with what looks like knight helmets in the background - was recently Princess Fiona in Shrek: The Musical before Covid shut it down
  • "am I dangerous? I was called that at the start of my career" - most likely a synonym for "wicked", which her character Glinda was described as in Wicked
  • "there was a time when I was overshadowed" - honestly, to me this could be another Wicked reference (the Defying Gravity sequence)
  • "not the best mover in my family" - her husband Chris Horsey is a well-known tap dancer
  • the confetti cannon at the end - similar to the gold buzzer in Australia's Got Talent
Not to mention, the subtle hint in her costume:
ms-ld.jpg

I'm still thinking the Bushranger is Jess Mauboy. The others were a little harder to decipher tonight. Some really interesting clues though!

Bit of a letdown when it turns out to be yet another sportsperson, this time one I've never even heard of.
I've given up on trying to guess by the clues.
So he once passed Kylie in a hotel? How the hell are we supposed to know that? Even Kylie's sister wouldn't.

My other guesses for tonight... Tanya Hennessy as Kitten and Cosentino as Wizard?

I love his voice. Shame he hasn’t really had a great career.
Was his season of X Factor the last?

It was. But all his songs have millions of streams on Spotify with his debut single being streamed 255 million times and he currently has over 1 million streams a month. Much better than other X Factor winners.

Bit of a letdown when it turns out to be yet another sportsperson, this time one I've never even heard of.
I've given up on trying to guess by the clues.
So he once passed Kylie in a hotel? How the hell are we supposed to know that? Even Kylie's sister wouldn't.
I tried to give it a go meg. Put my cynic aside and enjoy some stupid fun.
But if they are going to be that lame with "celebrities"?
I mean, I find the whole thing pretty lame and stupid but at its core, surely its about having a reasonable chance to guess from the clues.
Doesnt have to be bleedingly obvious but bevan? really? Im a sports fan and Id largely forgotten him.
Echidna? My guess? A bulldogs player called Chris grant who played in the 90's. Didnt know he could sing tho.
LOL
I get the theatre but surely the raison d'etre is to have a resonable chance of guessing..
Otherwise, its just a pointless shitshow.

I’ve seen Lucy Durack perform nearly a hundred times so her voice and legs were an instant giveaway for me. But funnily enough, the clues actually didn't make me think of her until she started singing.

But in hindsight, some clues that connect:
  • stage lights/"determined to survive in the world's toughest environment" - similar to Frillneck/Eddie Perfect's clues, this must be alluding to the entertainment industry
  • suitcase with various cities - has toured all over the place
  • the horse racing and neigh sound effects - her husband's surname is Horsey
  • "I've walked the most hallowed turf in the land" - I'm picking out a few things here... "hallowed turf" = has performed at the MCG, but might also be referencing the theatrical stage, perhaps even an obscure lyric from Wicked is "hallowed halls of Shiz", not to mention "the land (of Oz)"
  • "I'm a bit of a Princess" with what looks like knight helmets in the background - was recently Princess Fiona in Shrek: The Musical before Covid shut it down
  • "am I dangerous? I was called that at the start of my career" - most likely a synonym for "wicked", which her character Glinda was described as in Wicked
  • "there was a time when I was overshadowed" - honestly, to me this could be another Wicked reference (the Defying Gravity sequence)
  • "not the best mover in my family" - her husband Chris Horsey is a well-known tap dancer
  • the confetti cannon at the end - similar to the gold buzzer in Australia's Got Talent
Not to mention, the subtle hint in her costume:
View attachment 56027

I'm still thinking the Bushranger is Jess Mauboy. The others were a little harder to decipher tonight. Some really interesting clues though!

Just watched it again and you can tell it’s Lucy from the first couple of lines. She has a distinguishable tone.
You work in Theatre don’t you Theo? What did you work on to allow you to see Lucy over a hundred times? Was it Wicked? What a dream job haha. I’d say I’ve seen her close to 40 times live, but I’ve had to pay every time hahah (quite a few with lottery / rush tix). Mostly Wicked in Sydney and Melbourne and a few times at Legally Blonde in Sydney.

You work in Theatre don’t you Theo? What did you work on to allow you to see Lucy over a hundred times? Was it Wicked? What a dream job haha. I’d say I’ve seen her close to 40 times live, but I’ve had to pay every time hahah (quite a few with lottery / rush tix). Mostly Wicked in Sydney and Melbourne and a few times at Legally Blonde in Sydney.
I do! But when it comes to Wicked... no, I very much saw those at my own cost too. 😝 (It is indeed my dream show to work on though.)

Interesting to think we must have been at the same performances numerous times over the years!

Interesting chat here about Michael Bevan. I certainly know the name but would pass him in the street without recognising him. A friend who couldn’t watch tonight texted me to ask who was revealed and she was upset she missed the show because she “loves Michael Bevan”. Horses for courses I guess. Full disclosure My friend is into cricket where as I am not other than a vague interest in the Big Bash in recent years (and attending the women’s cricket World Cup finale last year ... but that was totally for Katy Perry 😍 haha)

Anyway. Can’t expect to know everyone. Lots of people popular in different circles. Don’t let not knowing someone put you off the light hearted fun of the show. Michael Bevan represented Australia in the national team for a decade.

I do! But when it comes to Wicked... no, I very much saw those at my own cost too. 😝 (It is indeed my dream show to work on though.)

Interesting to think we must have been at the same performances numerous times over the years!
Woah! That’s incredible Theo. And yeah haha. Who knows maybe we even sat next to each other.
You know I think we would be mates IRL! I know we have our differences here from time to time but we seem to share many passions!

Interesting chat here about Michael Bevan. I certainly know the name but would pass him in the street without recognising him. A friend who couldn’t watch tonight texted me to ask who was revealed and she was upset she missed the show because she “loves Michael Bevan”. Horses for courses I guess. Full disclosure My friend is into cricket where as I am not other than a vague interest in the Big Bash in recent years (and attending the women’s cricket World Cup finale last year ... but that was totally for Katy Perry 😍 haha)

Anyway. Can’t expect to know everyone. Lots of people popular in different circles. Don’t let not knowing someone put you off the light hearted fun of the show. Michael Bevan represented Australia in the national team for a decade.
Also I agree that the Kylie clue was probably too obscure but last year they copped it a bit for making some of the clues too obvious too early on. Sometimes you can’t win haha

Fair point bleach. But two decades ago? Given that the majority of the active audience for this popcorn show would be many years younger.
Its just too much of a strech imo. Nobody on gods green earth would have guessed it was bevan. 10 points who gussed it was a cricketer from 20 years ago who nobody knew could carry a tune. lol
And if they extrapolate to that level, the whole guessing game becomes pointless which , from my brief exposure, seems to be the essence of the show.
Im taking my critique to a silly level.
Im hoping echidna turns out to be bea smith from prisoner. For no aparent reason.

It's not so much that Michael Bevan isn't a 'deserving' celebrity. I exaggerated that I've 'never heard of him', I have heard the name, but he is too obscure for this kind of show. You need someone whose voice you'd have a chance of guessing, otherwise one of them might as well be the guy who was Humphrey B. Bear.

Back