Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

Mr Stickyfingers

an old fart that rants at times...
Awesome site donor
...I remember watching Live as Neil Armstrong stepped on the Moon...

...I remember watching the first ever Live episode of Doctor Who in England and a few weeks later cowering behind a sofa when the Daleks came on the TV as a 10 year old lol!...

...I remember that as a stupid 11 or 12 year old in England turning down free tickets to a Live Beatles concert because I preferred to go and watch a Soccer match between Arsenal and Manchester United...(what a nuff nuff eh?)...

...I remember doing nude surfing on a secluded Wollongong beach as a teenager...

...I remember being a hippy and having long hair down to my waistline and then getting it cut really short to my shoulders...

...I remember getting drunk for the first time...

...I remember wearing flared pants to discos...

...I remember 'Wagon Wheels' when they were big... 'Lolly gobble bliss bombs'... 'Uncle Sam' underarm deodorant... triangular 'Glug' or 'Raz' iceblocks... 'Polly Waffles'...'Cobbers'... and 'Musk Sticks'...

...I remember eating 'Vegemite' for the first and last time ever...

...I remember my first ever car as a teenager... it was a 'Datsun 12oY'...

...I remember when we all went decimal...

...I remember going 'paddock bashing' in my mates 'Mini Minor' and it rolling 4-5 times while wearing no seat belts... (they weren't around back then)... and neither of us even got a single scratch... the car was a write-off...

...that's all that I can remember at the moment but I'm sure that I'll think of other stuff later... what about yourselves?... what are the things that you remember as a kid or a teenager?... (mostly fond memories would be nice)... cheers.

I remember Uncle Sam deodorant in that huge can.
I remember my first driving lesson with Dad.
I remember what I wore to school on my first day at high school. It wasn't school uniform.
I remember having cold tea poured on my sunburned back of the knees to ease the pain while lying on the grass at my great aunt's house in Rosebud.
I remember my sister digging up our deceased budgie to see how it was going, two weeks after the death. I hightailed into Mum to tell her what was going on.

Last edited:
I remember Uncle Sam deodorant in that huge can.
I remember my first driving lesson with Dad.
I remember what I wore to school on my first day at high school. It wasn't school uniform.
I remember having cold tea poured on my sunburned back of the knees to ease the pain while lying on the grass at my great aunt's house in Rosebud.
I remember my sister digging up our deceased budgie to see how it was going, two weeks after the death. I hightailed into Mum to tell her what was going on.

...hahahahaha!... your sister sounds awesome!... how old were the both of you?... and that sunburn thing... been there done that on many occasions!... that's right... I never learned my lesson lol!... cheers.

...that sunburn thing reminds me of when I went surfing once and a bluebottle wrapped it's tentacles all around me when I got wiped out by a wave... my mates tried to tell me that them peeing on me would ease the pain... needless to say that I wouldn't let them do it and they rushed me to Wollongong Hospital for treatment because I had a really bad reaction to it... you should've seen the massive welts all over me... I had to stay overnight for treatment... I've never known such pain like that... ouchies!... cheers.

I remember stuttering in the back of the car when I was like 5 or so. That was my first memory.

I remember my mum used to love Savage Garden when i was a kid and used to play it endlessly when she was driving us around.

I remember in primary school playing lawn bowls.

I remember in high school playing downball, indoor soccer, and kick to kick football.

I remember winning some sort of maths competition in Primary School.

...that sunburn thing reminds me of when I went surfing once and a bluebottle wrapped it's tentacles all around me when I got wiped out by a wave... my mates tried to tell me that them peeing on me would ease the pain... needless to say that I wouldn't let them do it and they rushed me to Wollongong Hospital for treatment because I had a really bad reaction to it... you should've seen the massive welts all over me... I had to stay overnight for treatment... I've never known such pain like that... ouchies!... cheers.
OUCH!!!!!

I remember listening to children's radio show sitting up on a step stool ... and at the end of the show I would stand on top of the stool and launch myself into the air and mum would catch me and swing me around ...

I remember hitting tennis balls against the back wall of the house .... and breaking a window once or twice ...

I remember thinking mum would never notice that I'd been sipping at the condensed milk in the fridge ... again ... and how yummy cold condensed milk straight from the can is ...

I remember being told NOT to put a sticker on Dad's car ... but really really wanting to use that sticker ... and I remember my big sister (she'd brought the sticker home from Coffee Club at the local church home ... it said Jesus March and the date of the march - nothing so fantastic really - I don't know WHY I was so eager about this stupid sticker!!!) being sick of me pestering her about it and telling me "do what you like!" ... I remember driving into the city to listen to a music recital with my Dad ... all dressed up and feeling very special going somewhere with Dad ... until he went to lock the tailgate of the Holden and saw the sticker and told me "Get back in the car!" and the deafening silence all the way home ... and knowing I was in BIG trouble but that trouble wasn't nearly as bad as having disappointed my Dad ...

I remember thinking the sticker would come off easier if I used the edge of a knife under the wet cloth ... and I remember the flick of my dad's hand catching my rear end as I hightailed it up the backstairs when he saw what I was doing and noticed scratches on his car (didn't put it on the chromework .. put it on the paintwork ... not the brightest tool in the shed was I !?!)

I remember that was the only time he even lifted a finger towards me in anger - or expressed disappointment in me no matter what else I got up to ... (Miss you big time Dad!!!)

I remember wanting to borrow some of my sister's green ink for my new fountain pen (had just progressed from pencil to ink!) and
I remember checking the level of ink in the pen in one hand ... and hearing the Plop Plop Plop of ink dripping out of the ink jar in my other hand (didn't screw the lid down !) on the linoleum floor in the dining room ... and looking back through the lounge room and seeing the trail of ink over fairly new and prized carpet ... I remember mum's tears as she tried to get the ink out and remember taking her "Get away from me" very literally ... I spent the rest of the day across the road at the golf course hiding out in crowds at the pro-am competition that was on that week until Dad came and found me and said the coast was clear ...

I remember Grandad coming over for roast lamb dinner every Saturday and always coming with the paper and doing crosswords and puzzles with me as his "helper" ... and how great he was at accepting my pumpkin on his plate when mum wasn't looking and eating it quickly so mum didn't notice I wasn't eating that yukky stuff ... and how he always brought lollies ... a box of Heards Hard Jubes or maybe some Wine Gums or Barley Sugars ... and how he'd sit in his chair rolling his own cigarettes and the orange stains on his fingers from the tobacco ....

I remember hula dancing around a small round table at Grandma & Poppy's house and begging Poppy to play Burl Ive's "Pearly Shells" over and over again on the lovely old radiogram so we could keep up our hula dancing ... how I wish we still had that piece of history ... I think it was maple and had a roll top and we weren't allowed to put the needle down on the record ourselves in case we bumped it across the record and scratched it ...

...oh wow crimmy... some really great memories there eh?... I can just imagine your dad being so angry about that sticker on his car lol!... and your mum and her carpet... it's amazing which things stick in your mind over the years isn't it?...

...speaking of dads and cars you reminded me of something that happened in the car with my dad/my brother and me... it was a real hot summer day and we were in my dads old Ford Falcon Station Wagon with the windows wound down for 'ventilation'... (no air conditioner in that car)... we stopped at a red light in the middle of Blacktown and my brother and I saw these young well endowed girls with mini skirts on about to cross the road and I winked at my brother and we both slid down and squatted down in the seats so as not to be seen and as the girls walked past we wolf whistled them and shouted out... "wow!... hey sexy!"... and they looked around and just saw our dad only...

... they shouted out stuff like... "you dirty old bugger!"... or something similar and the lights then changed green and our dad had to drive... about a 100 metres up the road he stopped the car and gave us both a flogging lol!... when we got home we were sniggering our heads off and our dad had the shits big time... mum asked what had happened and we told her... she said at first that what we did was disgusting and that we deserved our flogging but couldn't contain herself for very long and burst out laughing about what had happened making dad get the shits even more lol!...

...needless to say dad had the sulks for a quite a few hours because mum laughed at it too but my brother and I told him that we would do the mowing the next day to make up for it... as soon as we made that bargain my dad burst out laughing at what had happened... he was holding out with having the shits until we offered to do something like the mowing as compensation... yep!... we got totally sucked in!... the sly old bugger...he was always so much smarter than us!... he then laughed at us all night about getting sucked in to doing the mowing... true story... lol!... I miss mum and dad too... cheers.

My Mum's Dad died before I was born and my Mum's mum died when I was 2, but my first memory is her giving me a Banana Paddlepop. I feel so blessed I remember that.

I also remember my Dad used to take me out to the farm etc. when I was 3 or 4 til I was about 10 and we'd go by the pub - I would get a bag of chips and a creaming soda, and Dad would have beers (this was before drink driving was a thing). Turns out Mum never knew about it - I was talking to her about it when I was in my late twenties and she was completely shocked.

I remember going to my grandparents at Christmas. It was an area known to flood. When it started raining, I would cry, scared I couldn't get back to my cat and dog.

...I remember going to School from Windsor to Riverstone on an old steam train and then later in the really old 'bone rattler' trains like this one below... it was horrible to ride in...

3COOMA-3.JPG

...I remember going to the local roller rink to try and pick up girls and was skating around and around really fast to impress these wonderful group of girls and then falling over and landing flat on my arse and then doing 3 or 4 rolls more or less right at their feet and they all laughed their heads off at my misfortune and I meekly limped away... I can still hear their howls of laughter today... needless to say... I didn't score that day/night lol!...

...I remember going to a circus with my parents when I was a little kid (about 8 years old from memory) and we were sitting down watching the show and I didn't notice that a clown had sat down beside me and he had one of those rattler things that you spin around and he made the noise and said... "hello little boy!"...and I screamed my lungs out!... I cried for about 10 minutes I suppose because my dad took me outside until I calmed down... (I think that he gave me some fairy floss or something as a bribe to be quiet lol!)... after a while I had stopped crying and didn't actually see much of the show at all because all I did was keep looking around me so as not to be scared again... (it's probably why I have such a dislike of clowns even now as an adult lol!)... what a wuss!... lol!...

...I remember going to a show in a big theatre when I was about 7 or 8 with my parents and it was 'Peter Pan'... they had Peter Pan attached to a rope to make him fly... we were in the upper balcony and Peter Pan flew up to where we were and we could almost touch him!... it was the most awesome thing at the time... I was so bedazzled by it being that young... it was so magical... it's one of my most treasured memories... I loved it... being that my name is also Peter...at that time I wanted to believe that I could fly too lol!... when I finally got to do a tandem parachute jump I couldn't help but think of that time as we flew through the air... I really was Peter Pan lol!... cheers.

haha MrS - you little ratbags!! and how sneaky was your Dad!!!

...haha!... as I said... he was always way smarter than us... I remember that once as a kid I was being rebellious... he told me to wash my hands before dinner or I wouldn't be having any... being a little smart-arsed brat and just because he said for me to do it I decided not to... I went to the bathroom and had the water running so that he could hear it... turned the tap off and then grabbed the towel on the squeaky hand rail so that I could move the towel up and down to make the rail squeak so that he could 'hear' me drying my hands...

...again... being the smug little smart arse I strutted back with 'attitude' and then sat down defiantly to eat my dinner... my dad said... "did you really wash your hands Peter?"... smugly I replied... "Yes!"... he then asked me again but added... "if you haven't haven't really washed your hands you will not be eating your dinner so think carefully before answering me"...

...I thought... 'how the hell is he going to know if I did or not?'... so I smugly replied... "yes... of course I did dad!"... he said... "so you're telling me that you definitely did then?"... I said... "yes I am!"... he said... "okay Peter... come over here"... wondering what the hell was he up to I suspiciously went over to him...

...he then said... "give me your hands"... so I put my hands in his and he rubbed them and said... "Peter... you haven't washed your hands at all you little liar"... I started to tell him that I did while wondering how the hell he knew... he said to me... "Peter... when you wash your hands you wash all the oil off your palms and your hands should be dry and hard to rub... yours are still oily... go to bed and leave your dinner on the table!... don't lie to me ever again!"...

...I was gobsmacked!... it was like having Sherlock Holmes as a dad!... lol!... what a clever old sod he was!... I just couldn't believe how he worked that out... needless to say that I always thought twice before trying to pull a fast one on him from that time onwards lol!... (mum sneaked my dinner to me later on during the evening god bless her heart lol!)... even though he outsmarted me I couldn't help but think just how clever he was... even though I lost on that one it is one of my fondest memories lol!... cheers.

...hahahahaha!... your sister sounds awesome!... how old were the both of you?... and that sunburn thing... been there done that on many occasions!... that's right... I never learned my lesson lol!... cheers.
I reckon I would've been twelve at the oldest and she's nearly three years younger.

My Mum's Dad died before I was born and my Mum's mum died when I was 2, but my first memory is her giving me a Banana Paddlepop. I feel so blessed I remember that.

I also remember my Dad used to take me out to the farm etc. when I was 3 or 4 til I was about 10 and we'd go by the pub - I would get a bag of chips and a creaming soda, and Dad would have beers (this was before drink driving was a thing). Turns out Mum never knew about it - I was talking to her about it when I was in my late twenties and she was completely shocked.

I remember going to my grandparents at Christmas. It was an area known to flood. When it started raining, I would cry, scared I couldn't get back to my cat and dog.

...Banana Paddlepop's... **drool drool!**... yum!... I used to love them way back then but I cannot eat anything with banana in it now... I hate the taste of bananas now lol!... (its funny how your tastes change isn't it?)... how clever was your dad to get away with that lol!... your mum must've thought... 'sly old dog!'... lol!... some great memories there delcan... cheers.

This is great! Nice one @Mr Stickyfingers :thumbsup:

I remember Sundays playing outside then hearing Mr Whippy coming and all the kids in the street bolting back to their house to get money. I remember my brother dropping his ice cream on the ground and picking it up and eating it. Gravel and all lol.

I remember having a crush on the boy up the road. I had a bug catcher and we'd caught bees and I lifted the lid a little to get a look and they bit him lol. Sounds about my style.

I remember taping songs off the radio on my cassette player and being SO annoyed when they'd start talking before the end of the song.

I was obsessed with tennis for years as a kid and most of my teen years, if I wasn't competing I was training. I had a poster of Pat Cash on my wall.

I remember going down to the corner store with 10c and getting 10 lollies. The cobbers were 2c.

I remember being obsessed with barbie dolls and delayed stopping playing with them because my sister was 3 years younger and I couldn't disappoint her. Uh huh.

I remember as a kid my mum decided whether we should get vhs or beta. Right choice made ;)

I remember when we got an Atari and we all spent hours and hours playing that thing.

I reckon I would've been twelve at the oldest and she's nearly three years younger.

...she didn't end up working in C.S.I or something did she?... lol!... that so cracks me up what she did Khun Khun lol!... funny funny funny!... cheers.

...she didn't end up working in C.S.I or something did she?... lol!... that so cracks me up what she did Khun Khun lol!... funny funny funny!... cheers.
She ended up getting an Arts/Law degree and worked for most of her adult life with the UNHCR in various places around the world. Hong Kong, Bosnia, Geneva and Bangkok.

This is great! Nice one @Mr Stickyfingers :thumbsup:

I remember taping songs off the radio on my cassette player and being SO annoyed when they'd start talking before the end of the song.

I remember as a kid my mum decided whether we should get vhs or beta. Right choice made
;)

I remember when we got an Atari and we all spent hours and hours playing that thing.

...that used to really grind my grits when they talked over the song too while I was taping it lol!... you sort of got to filter out the radio stations that used to do that eventually... at least I did lol!...

...my parents went VHS thankfully... decisions decisions decisions eh?... lol!...

...my brother got an Atari as a birthday present whereas I got a Commodore 64 computer for mine about I don't know... probably around 6-7 years later when I was out of my teens and into my 20's methinks lol!... **sigh**... such memories lol!... cheers.

She ended up getting an Arts/Law degree and worked for most of her adult life with the UNHCR in various places around the world. Hong Kong, Bosnia, Geneva and Bangkok.

...wow!... colour me impressed Khun Khun!... cheers.

Back