Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

...hahahahaha!... your sister sounds awesome!... how old were the both of you?... and that sunburn thing... been there done that on many occasions!... that's right... I never learned my lesson lol!... cheers.
I reckon I would've been twelve at the oldest and she's nearly three years younger.

I've been reminded of and I do remember these events unfold on tv.
1969 Moon landing. I watched it on the news at tea time.
1970 Westgate Bridge collapse
1972 It's Time - Whitlam's campaign
1974 Cyclone Tracey
1975 Whitlam's sacking. The 40th anniversary is Wednesday, 11/11/15. Remembrance Day too.
1977 Granville train crash[DOUBLEPOST=1447076278][/DOUBLEPOST]
I reckon I would've been twelve at the oldest and she's nearly three years younger.
Sorry, but this got posted twice. Unintentional.

1974 Cyclone Tracey
1975 Whitlam's sacking. The 40th anniversary is Wednesday, 11/11/15. Remembrance Day too.

Remember all of these - especially Granville Train Diaster - was on my Birthday :(

We used to build cubby houses underground - UNTIL - Dad found out about them :( He told us we could suffocate if it fell down, and we never understood what he meant!

I used to pinch Dads Faulding Olive Oil (which is different to what we get these day) Dad put it in his ears - I used to use it for a Tan!

I also sucked on cans of Condensed Milk - got busted fr this because I hoarded the empty cans under my bed!

I ALWAYS said 'are we there yet' on our family trips to the Gold Coast from Sydney - in the back of the 1962 Holden Station Wagon .......

I remember when my sister gave me a haircut one Saturday afternoon. I think i said yes because it was easier than saying no. Not surprisingly it was awful (a reverse mohawk) so soon after I had all my hair shaved off.

I remember my mum playing hockey.

I remember going to my Nan and Pop's place for dinner. Having stuff like pasta (the best pasta sauce ever!) and lemon shortcake.

I remember seeing one of our cats Daisy, named after one of the characters in the show Keeping Up Appearances, dead with ants crawling all over her.

I remember putting both legs behind my head at school one day and people seemed to be so impressed by it.

I remember visiting my grandma and all her chickens and cats. She had a reasonable sized property and it was always fun exploring it.

I remember when my Sister got her hair caught in the Kenwood Chef Mixer and it Scalped her beautiful golden locks - and I GOT the blame????? WTF was that about ....... That cake was not intended to have red in it!

I remember getting into big bad trouble for being on the local Santa Truck, driven by horses - by the local (drunkard) bottle collector, which it was an honour to get onboard with santa ......... mmmmm.
I got told that night, when I got home from my bad deed - of having some fun (you were special if you got a spot on that truck) that Santa wasnt coming and was belted - long story short - I so really dislike Christmas - because of this incident! I was about 10. I thought I was so special waving to all folks in my town ..... but it was not so ......

I remember when, we did one of those trips to the Gold Coast, that my Dad opened the TailGate of that 1962 Holden, that we were bunked up in the back earlier ....... and we all got out for a piss or whatever and well, I then got my forehead in the way - just when Dad swung it up - BANG - blood everywhere and then 5 stiches to my forhead and no swimming in the pool for the whole trip!!!!!!

Nasty Scar, I still have - makes for a nice side part, to hide it - over the left of my dial ........

That Scar is just above the one I got when I was about three and I remember that time as well ...... I ran into an architrave - I was 3 - split my above eyebrow open - it was a really small scar then - but huge now LOL - I remember that at 3 - prob my earliest memory ...........

I was on a Camp about age 13 - and we were walking in a sandbank..... in the Port Hacking River Sydney

Someone said - Look out there are Stingrays down there - and I said where .............and BANG ....I Got hit on my ankle .......

FUCK that was painful!!!!!!!!! Swelling and Pain and getting told by the Camp Officials it was a CRAB - WTF - They did not even help - Crazy times ...... another holiday in bed :( :(

Another Scar, I still have - and it does NOT look like a Crab Bite ...........

I remember being woken up around 3 or 4am ... bundled into the car still in my pjs ... making a bed in the boot of the station wagon between suitcases and chilly bin (yeah yeah esky I know! lol) ... Dad would do all the driving ... we'd stop for quick lunch at Taupo and loo breaks ... arrive in Wellington in time to make the overnight car ferry to Picton .. what an adventure driving into the bowels of the boat ... I dont remember having slept in a cabin except on one trip Mum was badly seasick ... it can get pretty rough on that trip ... and we may have been on longer ferry round to Lyttleton (Christchurch ) and I remember her being on a bunk ... maybe after the long drive from Auckland to Wellington tired me out and I just slept ...
Next day was more of the same ... driving to get to Queenstown ... company Dad worked for had a house and cottage there employees could rent cheaply for holidays ... we never skiied ... we were there in Autumn ... there'd be snow on the alps and it was chilly but not yet skiing crowds ... we went on the Earnslaw (paddle steamer whick still operates) on a day trip to a huge sheep station ... bbq lunch ... sheep shearing display .. sheep dogs ... beautiful big ole farmhouse that to me looked like a mansion
I remember mum keeping her big makeup case under her feet when driving ... and how big my eyes got to see money in there (no credit cards) ... it didnt occur to me until I was an adult how much they would have sacrificed to pay for these trips and all the excursions ... We flew up onto Mount Cook and also Fox Glacier ... we went on the jetboats on the Shotover ... up on the Gondola ride to the Skyline Restaurant overlooking Queenstown and Lake Wanaka) on a later trip when my elder sisters were too cool for family holidays we went up in a helicopter flightseeing in Queenstown ... goldpanning in Skippers Canyon (thankfully Dad knew what a dangerous trip it was in private vehicles and we went by coach trip (for Dad who loved driving this was a huge concession!) ... the coaches had right of way on the very narrow windy road with sheer drop on one side ... and i remember the looks of horror on faces of people in cars who had to reverse back on that road to last passing area when coming face to face with the coach... it was hairy enough going forward ... in reverse it would have been much worse ... buses never reversed on that road)
and took the ferry across to Stewart Island (the little island at the bottom of NZ ...
we flew into Milford Sound and did the cruise out on the Sound ... on a later trip we went to Doubtful Sound and saw the new Manapouri Power Station (hydro electric) ...
The company also had a unit in Rotorua ... in the backyard was a shed with our very own private thermal pool ... it was so hot when Dad had filled it we had to get in very slowly .... inch by inch .. but once in .... soooo relaxing ... boy did we sleep that night!
I was very lucky to have travelled from Northern tip to Southern one before i came across to the land of Oz ... was very helpful in my first job making reservations for NZ holidays for Aussie tourists and managing inbound tour groups from Japan Germany and the US and Canada here in Australia ... but also allowed me to appreciate the two very different countries I get to call home ☺

I was on a Camp about age 13 - and we were walking in a sandbank..... in the Port Hacking River Sydney

Someone said - Look out there are Stingrays down there - and I said where .............and BANG ....I Got hit on my ankle .......

FUCK that was painful!!!!!!!!! Swelling and Pain and getting told by the Camp Officials it was a CRAB - WTF - They did not even help - Crazy times ...... another holiday in bed :( :(

wow i thought i was accident prone but you win hands down :eek:;):)

I remember when my Sister got her hair caught in the Kenwood Chef Mixer and it Scalped her beautiful golden locks - and I GOT the blame????? WTF was that about ....... That cake was not intended to have red in it!

I remember getting into big bad trouble for being on the local Santa Truck, driven by horses - by the local (drunkard) bottle collector, which it was an honour to get onboard with santa ......... mmmmm.
I got told that night, when I got home from my bad deed - of having some fun (you were special if you got a spot on that truck) that Santa wasnt coming and was belted - long story short - I so really dislike Christmas - because of this incident! I was about 10. I thought I was so special waving to all folks in my town ..... but it was not so ......

I remember when, we did one of those trips to the Gold Coast, that my Dad opened the TailGate of that 1962 Holden, that we were bunked up in the back earlier ....... and we all got out for a piss or whatever and well, I then got my forehead in the way - just when Dad swung it up - BANG - blood everywhere and then 5 stiches to my forhead and no swimming in the pool for the whole trip!!!!!!

Nasty Scar, I still have - makes for a nice side part, to hide it - over the left of my dial ........

That Scar is just above the one I got when I was about three and I remember that time as well ...... I ran into an architrave - I was 3 - split my above eyebrow open - it was a really small scar then - but huge now LOL - I remember that at 3 - prob my earliest memory ...........

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

1974 Cyclone Tracey

...I used to work in South Granville just 2 km's from the Bold Street Bridge when the train disaster happened... I will never forget one of the guys that happened to be in our warehouse that was visiting us from Accounts... when the news of what had happened came over the radio he went white and started to tear up... we asked him if he was okay and he told us that his sister travels on that particular train from the Blue Mountains every single morning to work in Sydney... we found out the next day that she was in one of the main carriages that was crushed by the bridge and had died in it unfortunately...

...the entire road system around our factory was in total gridlock from the disaster and it took me 5 hours to travel the 35 kilometres home for me that night... it was such a tragedy... a few days after the disaster I happened to see the bridge when the traffic was diverted to run alongside the railway track... they were still in the process of pulling the train out from under the bridge... it was a sad sight to see... he never really got over the death of his sister... he became really quiet and reclusive after it... a sad time indeed... cheers.

We used to build cubby houses underground - UNTIL - Dad found out about them :( He told us we could suffocate if it fell down, and we never understood what he meant!

I used to pinch Dads Faulding Olive Oil (which is different to what we get these day) Dad put it in his ears - I used to use it for a Tan!

I also sucked on cans of Condensed Milk - got busted fr this because I hoarded the empty cans under my bed!

I ALWAYS said 'are we there yet' on our family trips to the Gold Coast from Sydney - in the back of the 1962 Holden Station Wagon .......

...underground????... what the???... what were you all thinking?... lol!... no wonder your dad was a tad bit concerned!... did you all watch the movie 'The Great Escape' or something?... lol!... that's pure crazy!...

...I so remember saying that just to annoy dad when he was driving us somewhere as kids because we knew that he hated us repeating it over and over and over again... I even kept saying it as an adult just to make him laugh... if he didn't give me a laugh I would just repeat it over and over and over again until he did lol!... (yes... I've always have been and always will be an annoying little git... lol!)... he always ended up laughing... such fond memories hooleydooley... cheers.

...ouchies... ouchies and ouchies!!!!... wow!... you were accident prone weren't you hooleydooley?... lol!... and your poor sister... that sounds horrendous... I guess the cake never got eaten eh?... lol!... cheers.

I remember being woken up around 3 or 4am ... bundled into the car still in my pjs ... making a bed in the boot of the station wagon between suitcases and chilly bin (yeah yeah esky I know! lol) ... Dad would do all the driving ... we'd stop for quick lunch at Taupo and loo breaks ... arrive in Wellington in time to make the overnight car ferry to Picton .. what an adventure driving into the bowels of the boat ... I dont remember having slept in a cabin except on one trip Mum was badly seasick ... it can get pretty rough on that trip ... and we may have been on longer ferry round to Lyttleton (Christchurch ) and I remember her being on a bunk ... maybe after the long drive from Auckland to Wellington tired me out and I just slept ...
Next day was more of the same ... driving to get to Queenstown ... company Dad worked for had a house and cottage there employees could rent cheaply for holidays ... we never skiied ... we were there in Autumn ... there'd be snow on the alps and it was chilly but not yet skiing crowds ... we went on the Earnslaw (paddle steamer whick still operates) on a day trip to a huge sheep station ... bbq lunch ... sheep shearing display .. sheep dogs ... beautiful big ole farmhouse that to me looked like a mansion
I remember mum keeping her big makeup case under her feet when driving ... and how big my eyes got to see money in there (no credit cards) ... it didnt occur to me until I was an adult how much they would have sacrificed to pay for these trips and all the excursions ... We flew up onto Mount Cook and also Fox Glacier ... we went on the jetboats on the Shotover ... up on the Gondola ride to the Skyline Restaurant overlooking Queenstown and Lake Wanaka) on a later trip when my elder sisters were too cool for family holidays we went up in a helicopter flightseeing in Queenstown ... goldpanning in Skippers Canyon (thankfully Dad knew what a dangerous trip it was in private vehicles and we went by coach trip (for Dad who loved driving this was a huge concession!) ... the coaches had right of way on the very narrow windy road with sheer drop on one side ... and i remember the looks of horror on faces of people in cars who had to reverse back on that road to last passing area when coming face to face with the coach... it was hairy enough going forward ... in reverse it would have been much worse ... buses never reversed on that road)
and took the ferry across to Stewart Island (the little island at the bottom of NZ ...
we flew into Milford Sound and did the cruise out on the Sound ... on a later trip we went to Doubtful Sound and saw the new Manapouri Power Station (hydro electric) ...
The company also had a unit in Rotorua ... in the backyard was a shed with our very own private thermal pool ... it was so hot when Dad had filled it we had to get in very slowly .... inch by inch .. but once in .... soooo relaxing ... boy did we sleep that night!
I was very lucky to have travelled from Northern tip to Southern one before i came across to the land of Oz ... was very helpful in my first job making reservations for NZ holidays for Aussie tourists and managing inbound tour groups from Japan Germany and the US and Canada here in Australia ... but also allowed me to appreciate the two very different countries I get to call home ☺

...all of that sounds so awesome crimmy... I so envy you... I've never been to New Zealand but I want to go and visit Milford Sound... it's on my 'to do' list.... the reason why is that one of my favourite artists by the name of Eugene von Guérard painted this of Milford Sound and I fell in love with it... the painting is beautiful...

OA1.1970%23%23S.jpg

... I've so got to go there... they are some beautiful memories that you have there crimmy... cheers.

I remember lollies being $0.01 and served in little white bags.
I remember devon and tomato sauce rolls were all the rage at school, lunchtime.
I remember trading Abba collector cards with the super hard bubblegum stick.
I remember buying my first 45 rpm vinyl single (Daddy Cool - Boney M) and being super excited.
I remember being terrified to go on the Big Dipper at Luna Park but bit the bullet one day and it was the first ride I always went on every visit after that.

Last edited:
Yes I loved doing this all the time :biggrin:

View attachment 50480

...hahaha!... I remember doing that!... my brother was doing that once to show off and he came undone big time... he came off and landed flat on his backand just laid there... being kids we all just laughed our heads off... until he didn't move... we then went all quiet and walked over to see if he was okay... he had knocked himself clean out... he had a massive gash on the back of his head and I ran and got dad and he took him to Hospital and he had to have stitches... being little brats we all still thought that it was hilarious though lol!... cheers.

...hahaha!... I remember doing that!... my brother was doing that once to show off and he came undone big time... he came off and landed flat on his backand just laid there... being kids we all just laughed our heads off... until he didn't move... we then went all quiet and walked over to see if he was okay... he had knocked himself clean out... he had a massive gash on the back of his head and I ran and got dad and he took him to Hospital and he had to have stitches... being little brats we all still thought that it was hilarious though lol!... cheers.
Ouch re your brother. Kids being kids eh laughing at someone's misery/injury (I'm sure there's not a person on here that hasn't done that):whistling:

Lol can't imagine you being a brat :laugh:

Back