Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

...I remember sherbet dips that made you eyes water at times because they were so strong...

...I remember the old fly spray containers that you used to have to pump to use...

...I remember the old sticky fly strips dangling to catch bugs...

...I remember having to make a new hole in my thongs when they used to break when the hole that they were in used to split...

...I remember when we first landed in Australia when I was just about to turn 14 and were put in an immigration hostel in Adelaide and I heard my first ever Kookaburra calling out early one morning... it scared the hell out of me...

...I remember beating up a group of Australian kids my age because they kept shit stirring me all the time not knowing that when Aussies shit stir you it's because they actually like you lol!... (I was tough little fighter back then... I took on the 4 of them and won lol!)... I had only been in Australia for a little under a week at the time lol!... I eventually became good mates with them... (in England... if kids shit stirred you it's because they didn't like you lol!)...

...good times indeed... cheers.

I remember lollies being $0.01 and served in little white bags.
I remember devon and tomato sauce rolls were all the rage at school, lunchtime.
I remember trading Abba collector cards with the super hard bubblegum stick.
I remember buying my first 45 rpm vinyl single (Daddy Cool - Boney M) and being super excited.
I remember being terrified to go on the Big Dipper at Luna Park but bit the bullet one day and it was the first ride I always went on every visit after that.

...haha!... lollies were so cheap in those days lol!...

...I remember the ride at Luna Park where you were in a big round cylinder and you spun around and around and then the floor slowly lowered so that you were pinned to the wall as if you were defying gravity... it was so cool until this kid spewed up and it splattered her and some kids near her... it was so funny because I was on the other side watching it unfold... I can't remember just how many times I went on that ride... it was my favourite...I have no idea what that ride was called... someone told me once but I just can't remember... I've seen quite some sights on that ride at various times lol!...

...I remember my first ever double malted chocolate milkshake... it was glorious!... hmmm!... I haven't had one of them for probably 40 years or so!... that's on my 'to do' list now... lol!...

...I remember licking ice creams and hoping to win a free one and was always pissed off if I didn't and my brother or sister did lol!... we all used to use them as currency to get things from each other lol!... cheers.

I remember the first concert I saw as a 10yr old - Abba
I remember the first concert I saw as a 13yr old - Kiss (Told the folks I was having a sleepover at a friends but got busted eventually) umah :sneaky:

...as I said at the beginning of this thread GROOVER... I had the choice of seeing The Beatles in a Live concert and chose to go to a Manchester United V Arsenal Soccer match instead... what a stupid young kid I was lol!... I'm still spewing about it to this day lol!... (some mothers do have them don't they?)... cheers.

...haha!... lollies were so cheap in those days lol!...

...I remember the ride at Luna Park where you were in a big round cylinder and you spun around and around and then the floor slowly lowered so that you were pinned to the wall as if you were defying gravity... it was so cool until this kid spewed up and it splattered her and some kids near her... it was so funny because I was on the other side watching it unfold... I can't remember just how many times I went on that ride... it was my favourite...I have no idea what that ride was called... someone told me once but I just can't remember... I've seen quite some sights on that ride at various times lol!...

...I remember my first ever double malted chocolate milkshake... it was glorious!... hmmm!... I haven't had one of them for probably 40 years or so!... that's on my 'to do' list now... lol!...

...I remember licking ice creams and hoping to win a free one and was always pissed off if I didn't and my brother or sister did lol!... we all used to use them as currency to get things from each other lol!... cheers.

Ah yes, "The Rotor", at Luna Park was the absolute best.

...as I said at the beginning of this thread GROOVER... I had the choice of seeing The Beatles in a Live concert and chose to go to a Manchester United V Arsenal Soccer match instead... what a stupid young kid I was lol!... I'm still spewing about it to this day lol!... (some mothers do have them don't they?)... cheers.

One of those Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh :arghh: moments, now you look back. Eh Mr S?

Damn.

...I remember 'mum' sayings or 'dad' sayings like... "don't pull that ugly face because the wind might change and you'll stay like that"... or... with dad... "don't make me take my belt off"... or even... "you'll see the back of my hand in a minute!"... lol!...

...I remember when my dad used to shit stir my brother and I with 'The Claw'... he would get his hand and make it look like a menacing claw by gnarling it up and would brush his hair over his eyes so that we couldn't see them and get his bottom dentures and have them showing over his bottom lip and then chase us around the house with us screaming our heads off... it was terrifying to us even though we always knew that it was 'just dad' lol!...

...I remember getting into lots of trouble when my brother and I stole mums rent money when it was left on the sideboard to pay the landlord and running to the tuck shop across the road to our buildings to fill our faces with lollies before she found out... we gave it all to the shopkeeper and he took it all just so that we wouldn't spend it elsewhere... when we were sitting outside the shop filling our little piggy faces... unbeknownst to us he walked over to our flat... knocked on the door and gave mum all of her rent money back because he knew straight away what we had done lol!... ...needless to say... when we went home mum was waiting for us... she took a big wooden spoon to us and gave us a flogging and broke spoon on me lol!... the worst part was when she said to us.... "you wait until you father gets home!"... then we were really scared... he gave us a flogging too... (his one hurt)... we deserved it... we were little bastards lol!... cheers.

I remember being able to walk or ride my bike anywhere and never even thinking about stranger danger

I remember full Saturdays and Sundays walking for miles looking for lizards, usually wearing only shorts and things, and with no water bottle, and finding the occasional snake and not batting an eyelid

I remember when there were only 2 TV channels, and they both said goodnight well before midnight, even the ABC

I remember when there were no video recorders, and getting our first one at xmas 1983. We had one video tape, which my parents used to tape Dallas, and I was allowed to tape over with The Five Doctors and Quincy's Quest

I remember the first two music videos I took notice of, Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" and Thompson Twins "Lies"

I remember taping songs off AM radio with a cassette player that picked up all the background noise as well, so everyone had to be quiet when a good song came on

I remember getting my first boom box for my 13th birthday, with a double tape deck

I remember buying my first 7 inch vinyl single, Eurythmics "Sex Crime (1094" and first album, Like A Virgin, which shocked my parents momentarily

I remember playing records on my dad's stereo, which we all called a STEEREO, and getting into trouble for scratching the sttlus across one to make breakdancing music

I remember my first free concert, Geisha at the footy oval 1985, and first paid one I attended by myself, Eurythmics at Thebarton Theatere in 1987

I remember one cent lollies, and when 20 cents could buy you enough. Packets of twistoes for 15 cents, paddlepops for less than 50 cents

I remember kissing a girl (yes, a girl) at the royal show

I remember my first girlfriend and buying her a plastic ring

I remember being at that girlfriend's place with her best friend and listening to "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" on repeat while they sang and danced

I remember my brother calling my girlfriend a "dunny brush"

I remember when one dollar was enough for the teacher to go over to the fish shop and buy enough chips and scallops (potato fritters) for the whole class

Last edited:
hqdefault.jpg

...hahaha!... I remember those old games HarleyQQ... remember 'Pong'... 'Breakout' and 'Donkey Kong'?... cheers.

upload_2015-11-10_12-18-19.jpeg
images
images

...I remember mum and dad having old fashioned names... (Alice and Dennis)... neither had middle names... they weren't the fashion in their day... my dad always joked that they were too poor to have middle names... my mum always rolled her eyes when he told that joke...

...I remember being horrified when told by my mum and dad that I was almost named 'Cyril' because mum liked that name and dad said "no way Alice... it makes him sound like a 'Nancy Boy!"... (their words... not mine lol!)... then apparently she said... "what about Hubert?"... once again my dad said the same thing and then she said... "well what do you want to call him?"... dad said... "we're going to call him 'Peter' and that's it!"... I so love my dad for that lol!...

...I remember that because I was born on the last day of the Financial Year... (the 30th of June)... that my dad always told everyone that I was... "a Tax dodge"... lol!... I still laugh at that to this day... now I tell everyone the exact same thing lol!... cheers.

I remember being able to walk or ride my bike anywhere and never even thinking about stranger danger

I remember full Saturdays and Sundays walking for miles looking for lizards, usually wearing only shorts and things, and with no water bottle, and finding the occasional snake and not batting an eyelid

I remember when there were only 2 TV channels, and they both said goodnight well before midnight, even the ABC

I remember when there were no video recorders, and getting our first one at xmas 1983. We had one video tape, which my parents used to tape Dallas, and I was allowed to tape over with The Five Doctors and Quincy's Quest

I remember when one dollar was enough for the teacher to go over to the fish shop and buy enough chips and scallops (potato fritters) for the whole class

...haha!... it's amazing what comes back to you isn't it Meglos?... yeah... the days of innocence when you had no 'stranger danger' are long gone now aren't they?... wearing just shorts when looking for snakes etc?... you're kidding aren't you?... lol!... but then again... we're all bullet proof at that age aren't we?... it makes you wonder how we actually survived with so few TV Channels doesn't it?... imagine the kids of today with just two to choose from?... it would be Hell for them lol!...

...the same with TV recording... how they would be lost without it... then again... how would we ALL cope without it?... lol!... your brother calling your girlfriend "dunny brush!"... that's classic!... :laugh::roflmao::hilarious:... did you end up marrying her?... and did she ever find out that he called her that?... (now that would've been a tad bit awkward lol!)...

...yeah I remember going to the shop and buying chips and scallops so cheap back then... they were always such a bargain back then weren't they?... happy days... cheers.

...I remember falling in and out of love with Linda Ronstadt/Tina Turner/Blondie/Stevie Nicks/Suzie Quatro/Olivia Newton John/Mary Hopkins/the dark haired one in ABBA and Kate Bush... (but not necessarily in that order)... I was so fickle wasn't I?...

...I remember being in love with my mates sister and couldn't understand as to why she didn't like me at all... she was in the stages of turning lesbian and I didn't twig at all lol!...

...I remember watching the Apollo 13 Astronauts trying to get back to Earth and remember screaming for joy when they answered Houston Control when they splashed down safely...

...I remember being taken to the Bathurst 500 or whatever it was called in those days and being sat on a hillside in the scorching sun totally covered in flies watching the cars whizz by... I was so bored shitless... that was the one and only time that I went believe me...

...I remember being the Badmington champion of my school back in England when I was about 12... I even won a trophy against other schools and was the school hero for a short spell there... lol!...

...I remember the first house that my parents rented when we first came to Australia... it had a dry toilet in the backyard!... it stunk and was always covered in blowflies with maggots in the pan... ew!... I used to walk for 20 minutes to the local park to go to the toilets there instea!... so it was always a matter of timing lol!... cheers.

I remember the first two music videos I took notice of, Eurythmics "Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This)" and Thompson Twins "Lies"

I remember taping songs off AM radio with a cassette player that picked up all the background noise as well, so everyone had to be quiet when a good song came on

I remember getting my first boom box for my 13th birthday, with a double tape deck

I remember buying my first 7 inch vinyl single, Eurythmics "Sex Crime (1094" and first album, Like A Virgin, which shocked my parents momentarily

I remember playing records on my dad's stereo, which we all called a STEEREO, and getting into trouble for scratching the sttlus across one to make breakdancing music

I remember my first free concert, Geisha at the footy oval 1985, and first paid one I attended by myself, Eurythmics at Thebarton Theatere in 1987

I remember one cent lollies, and when 20 cents could buy you enough. Packets of twistoes for 15 cents, paddlepops for less than 50 cents

I remember kissing a girl (yes, a girl) at the royal show

I remember my first girlfriend and buying her a plastic ring

I remember being at that girlfriend's place with her best friend and listening to "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" on repeat while they sang and danced

Dunny brush. Haven't heard that description in decades. Made me laugh.

I remember on the weekends as a kid waiting for the Mr Whippy van to come around and it was a mad race to see who got to the van first. I miss that tune "Greensleeves".

Now they have that bloody annoying "Home Made Icecream" van that comes around with that shit of a bell ringing every five seconds.

Last edited:
I remember on the weekends as a kid waiting for the Mr Whippy van to come around and it was a mad race to see who got to the van first. I miss "Green Sleeves".

Now they have that bloody annoying "Home Made Icecream" van that comes around with that shit of a bell ringing every five seconds.

...haha!...the dog next door could hear 'Greensleeves' playing a few streets away before we ever did... every time that he started howling we knew that he was on his way... he didn't even howl at Police/Fire Brigade or Ambulance sirens... just the ice cream truck lol!... we always got to the top of the street to get them first whenever he howled... you've just gotta love a dog that gave you that edge haven't you?... cheers.

Back