Skip to main content

...the many things that you remember as a kid or teenager...

…I was watching a show from Sweden (I think) on SBS that was subtitled… while watching it I had to chuckle about a friend of mine back in the 1970’s that was watching a subtitled show at the time with me and quite seriously suddenly said “it should be made a worldwide Law that everybody should be made to learn and speak English so that I don’t have to sit here and read these bloody subtitles!”… at the time I cracked up and laughed so loud but then he quite innocently said “what‘s so funny?”… that’s when I realised that he was serious lol!…

…what a great solution to such a 1st world problem lol!… he couldn’t understand why I was laughing at what he said… then I told him why I was laughing… then he said “oh yeah… I see now!” (or words to that effect)… I still find it funny to this day lol!… cheers.

When I was 15, my friend and I went and saw the film The Devils. It was a long film for me back then.
There's a scene 5 minutes from the end where the lead character is being burned at the stake, and I said to my friend, "doesn't he look like Oliver Reed!"
And she said "it IS Oliver Reed!"
I never was good at immediately recognising people!🤪

When I was 15, my friend and I went and saw the film The Devils. It was a long film for me back then.
There's a scene 5 minutes from the end where the lead character is being burned at the stake, and I said to my friend, "doesn't he look like Oliver Reed!"
And she said "it IS Oliver Reed!"
I never was good at immediately recognising people!🤪
I just Googled it as it was SOOOO long ago, to see how long it actually was. It was an 1hour and 51 minutes.
I was sure it had to have been a good 3 hours!
And it was R rated. I wonder how we got in at 15, we were immature 15 year old's, and definitely would never have passed as 18 year old's :unsure:

Actually sitting and eating in a food court is something I very infrequently do these days. Yet it used to be commonplace.

I'm putting this down to better eating habits, and being around them is less likely to be a social activity. If I do get something from one at a shopping centre. I tend to just grab two sushi rolls and eat them in my car before I leave.So it would just be the odd occasion I'd eat in one, like if the situation called for it. Such as when travelling.

It's funny trying to actually think about the last time I sat down in one and ate. I can't remember if it was this year or last year.

…Monopoly… Uno… the game of ‘Life’… Chess… Snakes and Ladders… Ludo and Battleship… my god I can’t tell you how many hours of my life that I’ve spent on playing these games in my youth!… not to mention playing card games like Poker… Fish… Eucha and Whist??? is it called?… the Internet and Video gaming wasn’t invented then lol!… (bursts into song)…

🎶Those were the days, my friend
We thought they'd never end
We'd sing and dance forever and a day
We'd live the life we…………🎶

…now you can play them online or on downloadable Apps or even on the pokies lol!… man!… times sure have changed lol!… cheers.

…I remember when yo-yo’s were the thing in the early 70’s… you’d try and obtain the white edged Coca Cola one which everyone thought was the best at the time… guys were doing the ‘walking the dog’ and ‘around the world‘ and ‘lunar loops’ etc tricks to impress the girls… the trouble was… I was complete shit at doing them lol!… I had no co-ordination skills whatsoever… after going to so much trouble to get THE best wanted yo yo at the time to impress the girls… all I did was humiliate myself with my lack of skills and I had so many injuries and bruises from them they were soon ditched lol!… cheers.

It was a gorgeous day today & I was just thinking that when I was a kid it was enough that we had a whole day to do anything we wanted. Just needed to eat breakfast, kiss mom goodbye & then head outdoors. Bikes, the beach, meeting friends...all the best things w/o any social media or electronics. I hope kids these days get a chance to have days of nothing in particular & just enjoy themselves. cheers

It was a gorgeous day today & I was just thinking that when I was a kid it was enough that we had a whole day to do anything we wanted. Just needed to eat breakfast, kiss mom goodbye & then head outdoors. Bikes, the beach, meeting friends...all the best things w/o any social media or electronics. I hope kids these days get a chance to have days of nothing in particular & just enjoy themselves. cheers
…and… being outside all day and having to decide what to do to keep yourself amused all day made it seem like such a looooooooong day… nowadays I blink and it seems like most of the day has gone!… Iol!… cheers.

…I remember when yo-yo’s were the thing in the early 70’s… you’d try and obtain the white edged Coca Cola one which everyone thought was the best at the time… guys were doing the ‘walking the dog’ and ‘around the world‘ and ‘lunar loops’ etc tricks to impress the girls… the trouble was… I was complete shit at doing them lol!… I had no co-ordination skills whatsoever… after going to so much trouble to get THE best wanted yo yo at the time to impress the girls… all I did was humiliate myself with my lack of skills and I had so many injuries and bruises from them they were soon ditched lol!… cheers.
I counted it as a win if I could ever get the darn thing to come back to my hand.

…and… being outside all day and having to decide what to do to keep yourself amused all day made it seem like such a looooooooong day… nowadays I blink and it seems like most of the day has gone!… Iol!… cheers.
haha, it's the opposite to me, the days are long & wonderful, but the months, nay years seem to speed by lol

…also. .. not looking at a phone every 30 seconds was soooooo good… now we’re slaves to them lol!… cheers.
not I, haha I only have conversations w/something delicious to eat on the table as well. Nothing (except for distance) can get me to be on the phone. My daughter lives out of state & my sister is 100 miles away. But when we get a chance, we email a time & place to show up for much food, chat & love.

not I, haha I only have conversations w/something delicious to eat on the table as well. Nothing (except for distance) can get me to be on the phone. My daughter lives out of state & my sister is 100 miles away. But when we get a chance, we email a time & place to show up for much food, chat & love.
…well done you… you must feel so free lol!… if you took their iphones from the kids nowadays they’d probably have mental breakdowns lol!… (I probably wouldn’t be brave enough to take their iphones away from them)… cheers.

…well done you… you must feel so free lol!… if you took their iphones from the kids nowadays they’d probably have mental breakdowns lol!… (I probably wouldn’t be brave enough to take their iphones away from them)… cheers.
people are so much more fun than phones even to little kids lol...not sure about tweens, but I can leave them be

Remember phone boxes 😂
I'm surprised there aren't more deaths with people aimlessly walking across the road eyes pinned to their phones and their ears plugged up with earplugs!
Amazing too how many are going deaf because they turn up the volume to cancel out ambient sound. BTW very unsafe for women to do this since they can't hear someone sneaking up on them!

Back